Chris's White 205GTI
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Chris's White 205GTI

205GTI number two.

The nitty grittys of said 205 are -

Date of delivery is 1990. It has it's original motor, was bought in Mt Gambier and I have service records up to 120,000km. Its a DFZ that pulls very hard indeed with a BE3 gearbox that still feels nice. The rearbeam is a bit noisey so that will need some attention. Having said that, I did do Bendigo Sydney, Sydney Bendigo inside of 21 hours and it ran fine.

Advertisement

It does have this silly looking two tone thing going on.

Chris's White 205GTI-resized-white-205.jpg

So the plan is to get it all back to one color and get it looking like this.

Chris's White 205GTI-white-205gti.jpg

I have lots of bits to do this with. Including white front and rear valance with bumpers, a very shmicko set of 15" SMRs to put on to and a white grill. The seats are shagged so that needs to be addressed to. This afternoon I started on the panel work. I'm sanding the bulk of the satin black off so I can start getting it ready to respray it white.

Chris's White 205GTI-resized-panel-work-1.jpgChris's White 205GTI-resized-panel-work-2.jpg

Thankfully it goes quite well but there is quite a nasty clunk when I drive in reverse. I'm guessing knackered CVs or worst case the diff is gone. We'll see.
    Last edited by DjB8V; 7th December 2012 at 08:15 AM.

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

the links don't work for me

Bugger..... I'll redo it

Is the cluck when you apply the brakes in reverse? If so, all my 205s have done that. Apparently its the callipers sliders/springs or something worn and the reversing makes them jump' into place...

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Is the cluck when you apply the brakes in reverse? If so, all my 205s have done that. Apparently its the callipers sliders/springs or something worn and the reversing makes them jump' into place...

Cam
    Nope, it's not the calliper pins. It is the slider holes in the callipers themselves which are worn out (because they are aluminium) and allow the calliper to move ever so slightly between two infinitely close rest points when you stop and change direction. There is no cure I can think of short of boring the callipers and replacing the slider bolts with oversize or sleeving the holes, or some other over the top engineering exercise. Short fix - go 306 brakes (callipers, discs, needs short hubs if car is early GTI). Otherwise straight bolt on. Annoying as hell (to me) that clunk especially when parking in tight spaces and manouvering forward-reverse a lot.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Short fix - go 306 brakes (callipers, discs, needs short hubs if car is early GTI). Otherwise straight bolt on. Annoying as hell (to me) that clunk especially when parking in tight spaces and manouvering forward-reverse a lot.
    I really don't need brakes that big.

More sanding. The passenger side is almost done.

Chris's White 205GTI-resized-panel-work-3.jpg

VIP Sponsor

They are the same size, just far superior in the way they work.
    Graham

Series 1/2 brakes
    Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    I really don't need brakes that big.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    They are the same size, just far superior in the way they work.
    Graham

Series 1/2 brakes
    I know Graham, I was just being a smart ass

I started on the front today. Instead of respraying the existing front bar assembly, I got my hands on setup that's in really good nick as well as a grill. The other reason is that the bar is damaged in a couple of spots. I got the stuffed bar off and made sure that the white one had all its mounting bits and bobs there. The only real problem I ran into was the lack of driving light plugs.... Bugger.

Chris's White 205GTI-resized-bar-damage-1.jpgChris's White 205GTI-resized-bar-damage-2.jpgChris's White 205GTI-resized-bar-front-end.jpg

The biggest pain at the moment is that the Silver 205 is in the work space with half its motor missing so I'm reluctant to move it. Ehhh, just means I get a bit more grubbier and some more sun on me. It doesn't really matter that much, once the black bits on the body are painted white (happening Friday afternoon) and the 15" SMRs have their new rubber rubber put on them (happening on Wednesday) it'll be put back on the ground and back into use.

Chris's White 205GTI-resized-205s.jpg

The stereo needs some attention too, but that's easy stuff. In the new year I'll have a closer look at what shape the suspension is in (I think not too bad). I suspect the rearbeam could need some attention and I'll put in the Koni yellows I have sitting in the garage.

I managed to get the front end bits fitted today, as well as picking up my SMRs with new tyres fitted and the last of the sanding. Tomorrow the paint goes on.

Chris's White 205GTI-resized-205-frontend.jpg

There are a couple of panel alignment issues but I can deal with that later. I've got some driving to do over Christmas so I'm keen to get it sorted. On the weekend I'm going to sort out the interior.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized 205 frontend.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	37938
    Now that looks better!!!

Its taking good shape.
    Hows the interior like and how far off driving?
    Xmas is tuesday...

8V'ville....hahah

Its still rego'd in SA and the previous owner is being very cool about getting the rego swapped over so thats cool. Realistically it's not that far of a RWC. In the new year i'll take it in for an inspection and see what needs to be done.

The interior is pretty average. But all I'm doing is pulling the old stuffed seats out and replacing them with the good seats out of my silver 205. Beyond that, the carpet and interior plastics need a good clean so I'll get into that and it should come up pretty good I think.

The real problem with the interior is the driver seat bolster. Its pretty much collapsed. I'm going to try and change the bolster over using a good one from one of the seats that's coming out of the white one. Either ways, see the pics -

Chris's White 205GTI-resized-205-seat-1.jpgChris's White 205GTI-resized-205-seat-2.jpg

Hopefully I'll have the interior nutted out on Saturday.

Painting got done today. Tomorrow I'm going to try and get the exterior trims back on and hopefully the drivers seat trimmed too.

See pics -

Chris's White 205GTI-resized-205-paint-1.jpgChris's White 205GTI-resized-205-paint-2.jpg

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

Geez moving fast. New wheels will look great. You're lucky really it hasn't worn holes in the trim where the foam has collapsed and the material rubs on the rod. Where in SA did it come from?

Not sure about where in SA its from.... I'll have a look see at the paper work and get back you.

It is coming along quickly. I've made some ripper progress this morning so if all goes well I might be able to get some good pics this afternoon when there is some better light. You're right about the seat cover too.... Super liucky that didn't wear through as well.

Chris

Coming along nicely. Love it!
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

A big day today.

I got the exterior trims back on, mounted the rear bumper assembly, fixed the drivers seat and replaced front and back seats, swapped the wheels over (not really a hard one), and tidied up here and there. The carpet was pretty bad so I gave that a quick once over and the dashboard too. The steering wheel was easy to change over but now the indicator stalk doesn't self cancel. Not a problem, just more annoying than anything.

The long and short of it is that its come together quite nicely and parts have turned up at the right time so cheers to everyone that I've gotten bits from. I have a 205 to drive on the road again. It looks heaps better cleaned up....

The interior..

Chris's White 205GTI-resized-seat-repair-1.jpgChris's White 205GTI-resized-seat-repair-3.jpgChris's White 205GTI-ressized-seat-repair-2.jpg

The first pic is the donar, the third is the seat its gone into. The middle is how it came out. There is a photo a couple of posts previous that shows how much the seat bolstering had collapsed.

Chris's White 205GTI-resized-interior-repaired.jpg

I'm super chuffed how well the paint went. Considering we sprayed outside in the wind. Some of the panel lines do need some tweeking but I'm pretty happy with it.

Chris's White 205GTI-resized-white-205-7.jpgChris's White 205GTI-resized-white-205-8.jpg

Chris

Looking good keep up the good work....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Looking good keep up the good work....
    You'll have to come up and visit soon Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Top stuff. Looks 100x better without the black and those 15s are such a great looking wheel. You've got more done in a week than what I'd procrastinate over for six months.

Quote Originally Posted by 88lp View Post
    Top stuff. Looks 100x better without the black and those 15s are such a great looking wheel. You've got more done in a week than what I'd procrastinate over for six months.
    Thanks man. I'm super chuffed with how its come up. Its good motivation to get the Silver one sorted for when the hot motor turns up. as for procrastination, I'm good at that too. Just bite the bullet and have a crack

Ahhhh what an awesome transformation. Looks brilliant!!!

Look forward to seeing them all one time soon.

Fellow Frogger!

Great work Chris it's looking fantastic, amazing how bad a 205 can look and within a few weeks be completely transformed.

Cheers guys.

I'm pretty chuffed with the result. After all the driving over Christmas and New Years, on of the exhaust hangers broke and the middle section of the exhaust of hanging quite low..

DOH

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information