Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 25 First 1234567814 ... Last
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

Tadpole

Appreciate the links.., could import from UK or SA.

Advertisement

Hi Guys, we are a soon to be Koleos owners. We ordered a Bose Ed 2wd in Pearl white. The Koleos replaces our 4yr old Renault Scenic. Which has been great. It was our 2nd Scenic...so since we couldn't get another we went for a Koleos.

Like all of you I have been looking for some extras not sold here in Oz.

Found these guys

http://www.auto-access.eu/en/home

Who make some nice nudge bars, but will have to import it once I pick what I want. I was going to order the drl's so I am keen to see how they turned out.

I am on the hunt for the rubber mats, but I am told by Renault they they haven't been around for about a year...so that's disappointing but I am looking so for that as well.

We didn't buy this for its SUV capacity, so I am thinking of some new 20 inch alloys but that's another project. I do have a set of new privilege tyres and rims ...so they will go on first. I think it needs a little bit of beefing up.

Also looked at some new spings to help with the wobbly handling, not sure of that one yet. Also looking a Elia exhaust from Germany.

Anyway...just saying hi and looking forward to getting our new car

Ta , Dom
    Dom
    2017 Renault Koleos Intens Pearl white
    2014 RenaultSport Megane 275 Trophy RST 275
    1976 Renault 17 Gordini ... Welcome "Edwin"
    1967 R10 Round Eye ...Aug 16 gone but not forgotten
    1967 R8 Gordini 1135 ... Welcome "Jimmy Gordini"

Congratulations on joining the growing Koleos band. I'm sure the car will live up to your expectations, I can't complain about mine except for it's ability to attract parking rash!
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Tadpole

A towbar, side steps and nudge bar will transform the well designed Koleos into an urban warrior
    Reaper likes this.

Tadpole

The Scenic was as very clever car... something that SUV obsessed Aussies where never going to buy in big numbers... our loss I guess.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi all,
    Delighted to see the Koleos owners group growing exponentially - well, perhaps not exactly, but welcome all the same. Good to see all the ideas you guys bring towards 'tarting' your Koleos up, to alter it's persona into something you prefer. The DRL's particularly appeal to me, and I am interested to learn how easy/difficult it is to fit them. In my case, the K&N air filter seems to make a noticeable difference in get-up-and-go, and certainly in fuel consumption, as I achieved almost 8.0lit/100km for the first time at the last fill, according to the trip computer at least. Dom mentions 'wobbly handling'? I don't find that at all as mine goes round corners like a go-cart. Unlike my previous Scenic I with it's rear torsion bars that sometimes caused a bit of sphincter tightening in fast corners. Lastly, I agree with Nicholas that the Scenic I was a superbly 'clever' and above all, practical car, and I am convinced that many owners would not have hesitated to buy a new one, if it were available, SUV obsession or not. To quote Dom: "...since we could not get another, we went for the Koleos." I know, because I am one of them. At least the Koleos is closer in size to the Scenic than to some of those outrageously and IMHO unnecessarily huge 'mum-trucks' that clog the road to the nearby private school.
    Last edited by Breitie; 3rd June 2013 at 10:14 AM.

The nudge bars look ugly and I do not know why you need it unless you hit kangeroos on a regular basis while night driving in the bush. Kids are too busy texting and facebooking nowdays that its become commonplace to get hit by cars in cities. Do you really wanna save $500 for a bumper and risk crippling someone? Further, have you considered the legal risk of fitting a non-ADR compliant bar?

Australian Design Rule 42.9.1: ‘No vehicle shall be equipped with any object or fitting, not technically essential which protrudes from any part of the vehicle so that it is likely to increase the risk of bodily injury to any person.’

Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems-police_van_web.jpg

To all those folks interested in the DRL, they work but its not installed yet. This is whats needed and I have basically done everything except for 3:

1) removal of bumper
    2) install of DRL
    3) ACC connection - note that this does not supply power to the DRL, but hooks up to the controller. The DRLs are also connected to the battery. You also need to connect a wire to the front headlights so that DRLs dim when headlights turn on - note they do not turn off.

Right now I am trying to work out how to safely hook up the DRL, and looks like best bet is to the 12v lighter cable in the cabin but I need to work out how to feed a wire into the cabin. The other option is to hook it up to the fog lights but that looks stupid with fog lights + DRLs.

Anyone know how to feed a cable from the engine bay to the cabin?

WARNING: make sure you "unlock" the car before disconnecting the battery terminals or you will get a surprise Please disconnect negative terminal first, wear glasses and do not wear any metal. Safety first!
    Last edited by Free888; 4th June 2013 at 08:20 PM.

Tadpole

Good to see the thread alive and well and the new happy owners.

Nothing to report on the bus. Running smooth as!

Quote Originally Posted by Free888 View Post
    The nudge bars look ugly and I do not know why you need it unless you hit kangeroos on a regular basis while night driving in the bush. Kids are too busy texting and facebooking nowdays that its become commonplace to get hit by cars in cities. Do you really wanna save $500 for a bumper and risk crippling someone? Further, have you considered the legal risk of fitting a non-ADR compliant bar?

Australian Design Rule 42.9.1: ‘No vehicle shall be equipped with any object or fitting, not technically essential which protrudes from any part of the vehicle so that it is likely to increase the risk of bodily injury to any person.’

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Police_van_web.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	44517

To all those folks interested in the DRL, they work but its not installed yet. This is whats needed and I have basically done everything except for 3:

1) removal of bumper
    2) install of DRL
    3) ACC connection - note that this does not supply power to the DRL, but hooks up to the controller. The DRLs are also connected to the battery. You also need to connect a wire to the front headlights so that DRLs dim when headlights turn on - note they do not turn off.

Right now I am trying to work out how to safely hook up the DRL, and looks like best bet is to the 12v lighter cable in the cabin but I need to work out how to feed a wire into the cabin. The other option is to hook it up to the fog lights but that looks stupid with fog lights + DRLs.

Anyone know how to feed a cable from the engine bay to the cabin?

WARNING: make sure you "unlock" the car before disconnecting the battery terminals or you will get a surprise Please disconnect negative terminal first, wear glasses and do not wear any metal. Safety first!
    Normally you can find 12v+ "always on" in an engine fuse box. Even if it's off the feed to the HL relays. If it's a high current main fuse feed, a lower current fuse in series with the device being powered circuit is suggested.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Perhaps a silly question but how similiar is a Renault Koleos to Nissan Dualis?
    We don't any Renault dealers in Darwin but would only buy Renault if I could get a factory service (Nissan) to get the codes etc checked.

NT Reno

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Normally you can find 12v+ "always on" in an engine fuse box. Even if it's off the feed to the HL relays. If it's a high current main fuse feed, a lower current fuse in series with the device being powered circuit is suggested.
    Thanks Rob - I actually need an ignition type activated fuse, and not "always on" as then the DRL will always be on as it is connected to the battery terminals. I have tested all the fuses in the first fuse box compartment, but not the second one which is more difficult to open as it has plenty of wires attached to it. There is an IGN fuse I can see, but it seems to be a sealed green unit as you can see in post 68. I am not comfortable screwing around with this fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by nt reno View Post
    Perhaps a silly question but how similiar is a Renault Koleos to Nissan Dualis?
    We don't any Renault dealers in Darwin but would only buy Renault if I could get a factory service (Nissan) to get the codes etc checked.
    Koleos is more xtrail as it shares the same bulletproof QR25DE, and the Dualis uses the MR20DE which is closely related. I believe the CVT and AWD system is the same in all three as they operate and behave very similar. Most standard service parts are shared as part of the Renault-Nissan alliance. From what I have researched, OBD codes are usually easy to read, but for more complicated stuff like programming and advanced features usually available only to dealer equipment. I am running to the Nissan dealership soon to check this out myself for a minor service as the Renault dealer is too far away.

My view is that as long as the car runs fine, as it is likely to, Nissan servicing will be ok. But if you run into a major problem, I would rather put faith in a Nissan mechanic than a Renault dealer unless you know them well. I have tried a couple of Renault dealers and they are clueless - I have to go 80kms away to someone who knows their stuff. They are a much bigger franchise and have better mechanics who also service $300K cars, and they absolutely follow the book. I am not a big fan of the diesel as its more complicated.

Hi guys, just ordered this for the new car to cover up the huge holes at the front of the car

Found it on eBay cost just over $100 will post some pictures when it's on the car

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/vi...502&cmd=VIDESC

Hope the link works doing this on my mobile phone.

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

Default KOLEOS - new tyres

Time for new tyres.
    Put 84K on them (in 4&1/2 year), with one replacement (nail through sidewall - will be used as spare).
    Still enough meat to last another 6 months or so, but with Melbourne's winter fast approaching, thought it needed new soles.
    Need a sport/touring tyre, not interested in 4wd lugged types as 99% of time is on road.

The original tyre size is:
    225/60/17 - 99H
    Not a run of the mill size.
    Hankook DynaPro HP RA23
    Treadwear 500 Temp A Traction B
    $210 a corner

Replaced with
    Continental Cross Contact LX Sport
    Is M+S
    Treadwear 480 Temp A Treadwear A
    $280 a corner.

Both tyres are of a quiet/comfort H/T design.
    Just as quiet as the Hankooks.
    Have only done 300k so far and initially, it feels lighter on the rear end - oversteer.
    Probably due to release agent, will report in a month or so.
    Will try and see if the $70 premium on each corner is justified.

To be honest, the Hankooks, initially fitted, did a wonderful job.
    Only were vocal when the car was punted through curves at 80+ with massive weight swings.
    Didn't slide in the wet, more than enough grip when accelerating. abs light rarely came on.
    In theory they should get 480/500*84K, approx 80k with these.

Car is now a real bitsa:
    Japanese underpinings, French design, Korean manufacture, German tyres, however, "French".
    No racial vilification here. Guaranteed to try and please everyone except for 'vehicle class haters'.
    Last edited by 85Fuego; 7th September 2013 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Is there any point in 'mixing' RON91 and RON95? I alternate between the two, to save money obviously. When you mix RON91 and RON95 half-and-half, does the mix behave like 91 or 95? Hmmm?
    G'day, new Koleos owner (well, new to the forum, I've had the Koleos for 3 years) here. There would be no problem mixing RONs, depending on what was left in the tank from previous fill, it would be an average of the two. When I could get it, I used E10 as that's cheaper than 91 and about 94-95 RON. I've moved to WA and E10 isn't available here (at least, not in the bush, and not on either of the two fuel cards I use, BP and Shell). I recently did a trip to Perth (900km each way) and used 98 every fill but one (Shell, didn't have it) and got the best fuel economy on a trip I've ever had, average 9.7l/100km, that's on 110km/hr, the usual speed limit in outback WA. Difficult to compare with previous trips as I often have a roofbox up on top (despite the Privilege sunroof I didn't want) and coming to WA we also towed a 7X4 box trailer.

I phoned selling dealers (now no longer in Renaults) and complained about economy soon after I arrived home (they were 1100km away), they suggested 98 but I baulked at the 16cpl extra over 91. On a long trip though, it does make a difference. Around town (no lights, just slow suburban/country town stuff + short trips) there is very little difference so if I know I'm not going away for some time I'll fill with 91. If I cross the Nullabor again I would also stick with 91 most fills as the fuel use soars with trailer anyway.

Recent trip to Perth- 9.7l/100km. From Cobar-Carnarvon, 11.7l/100km. Around town 12 - 14.5l/100km, was worse in winter in western NSW, possibly because car wasn't getting to operating temp, my trips so short. Those are actual figures from odometer (which is accurate to within 1%) not from the trip meter which gives around 0.5l/100km better than achieved, and speedo is out by about 7.5%).

Have just had new tyres fitted replacing the rather ordinary Contis fitted new. Goodyear Efficient Grip, same size. Thought I had 5-10,000km in two tyres but tyre place reckoned they were unsafe, so got 4 instead of two, now have to figure out how to wear out the spare before the end of my lease.

I'll post more about my Koleos experience as time goes on. Very happy with the car apart from a couple of gripes, one of which is fuel economy, I guess, although its real world economy compared to rivals is probably similar. It's just that my previous car was a diesel
    Reaper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieman View Post
    Anyone else noticed their smartphone kills the proximity key if you have them close together?
    The electronic door at motel we stayed when we first arrived in town would set out alarm off!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred17 View Post
    G'day, new Koleos owner (well, new to the forum, I've had the Koleos for 3 years) here. There would be no problem mixing RONs, depending on what was left in the tank from previous fill, it would be an average of the two. When I could get it, I used E10 as that's cheaper than 91 and about 94-95 RON. I've moved to WA and E10 isn't available here (at least, not in the bush, and not on either of the two fuel cards I use, BP and Shell). I recently did a trip to Perth (900km each way) and used 98 every fill but one (Shell, didn't have it) and got the best fuel economy on a trip I've ever had, average 9.7l/100km, that's on 110km/hr, the usual speed limit in outback WA. Difficult to compare with previous trips as I often have a roofbox up on top (despite the Privilege sunroof I didn't want) and coming to WA we also towed a 7X4 box trailer.

I phoned selling dealers (now no longer in Renaults) and complained about economy soon after I arrived home (they were 1100km away), they suggested 98 but I baulked at the 16cpl extra over 91. On a long trip though, it does make a difference. Around town (no lights, just slow suburban/country town stuff + short trips) there is very little difference so if I know I'm not going away for some time I'll fill with 91. If I cross the Nullabor again I would also stick with 91 most fills as the fuel use soars with trailer anyway.
    Once every 3-4 tanks consider using the Shell V-Power 98 because they have better detergents, especially if you use various independents or lower quality fuels often. Your injectors and fuel filter will appreciate it. We have had older cars that were hard to start sometimes when using lower quality fuel, and also the cars runs smoother with Shell 98.

Can't vouch for the 2.4 litre Nissan donk in the Koleos but it always worked out cheaper to use 98 in the RX4. Down to 8.4L/100km at 120km/h on the highway. It even seemed to work out better around town, Moorabbin to South Melbourne and back daily at 9.4L/100km/h average, but with a 300km highway trip every two weeks. My 2008 diesel Koleos has trouble beating those figures, but it is heavier and automatic.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by DrRenaultsport View Post
    Hi Guys, we are a soon to be Koleos owners. We ordered a Bose Ed 2wd in Pearl white. The Koleos replaces our 4yr old Renault Scenic. Which has been great. It was our 2nd Scenic...so since we couldn't get another we went for a Koleos.

Like all of you I have been looking for some extras not sold here in Oz.

Found these guys

Auto Access - Auto Accessories and Automotive Accessory Solutions

Who make some nice nudge bars, but will have to import it once I pick what I want. I was going to order the drl's so I am keen to see how they turned out.

Ta , Dom
    Frankly, I'd steer clear of nudge bars. I've had two, on a Tata Safari and most recently, on Ssangyong Rexton. On the latter, it was useful for mounting driving lights, but little else. I've lived around Exmouth, WA, where roos and other animals (and birds) are a big problem, and I managed to write off an alloy bullbar on work ute (Hilux), which folded back and took out one headlight and the grille from a roo hit at 80-90km/hr (speed limit 110km/hr). IMHO nudge bars are utterly useless for protection from animal hits- they have weaker mounting points than bullbars and I'm not now a fan of alloy bullbars either. The work ute which replaced the Hilux (a Ford) came with a steel bullbar at the insistence of the bosses in Perth. Unless you want the nudgebar for the looks alone, avoid them like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Free888 View Post
    Once every 3-4 tanks consider using the Shell V-Power 98 because they have better detergents, especially if you use various independents or lower quality fuels often. Your injectors and fuel filter will appreciate it. We have had older cars that were hard to start sometimes when using lower quality fuel, and also the cars runs smoother with Shell 98.
    V-Power isn't common in WA, in the bush at least, the Shell I fill up at in Geraldton doesn't appear to have it. I usually stick with BP, although there is a local independant dealer who takes Shellcard here in Carnarvon- but I have no idea where he gets his fuel from, probably the Kwinana refinery in Perth which possibly supplies most of the 98RON in WA, AFAIK.

Hi all, picked up our new Bose Ed Koleos yesterday. I am really pleased with it....and the wife loves it so that's good.

We will miss the Scenic, but looking forward to many years of trouble free motoring.

I have some 18 inch Privilege wheels & tyres to go on ...may be this afternoon if I have time. A few bits from EBay to fit when they arrive and it will be good to go....mind you some nice 20 inch wheels wouldn't go astray :-)
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.
    Dom

Here's one from the back....I know we all know what they look like ....but

Dom

Quote Originally Posted by DrRenaultsport View Post
    Hi all, picked up our new Bose Ed Koleos yesterday. I am really pleased with it....and the wife loves it so that's good.

We will miss the Scenic, but looking forward to many years of trouble free motoring.

I have some 18 inch Privilege wheels & tyres to go on ...may be this afternoon if I have time. A few bits from EBay to fit when they arrive and it will be good to go....mind you some nice 20 inch wheels wouldn't go astray :-)
    Will you be selling the current wheels? Are they 17"? I wouldn't personally go 20" as I think huge wheels with small disc rotors look absolutly silly.
    Saw some Koleos wheels and tyres on ebay a while back and was thinking they'd looks good on the Rx-4 as they are both 5stud patterns. Have to check out off sets though
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

1969 R10>>10S replica(stalled in progress)..

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

One of the reasons I went with the Koleos was the 17" wheels- our previous SUV had had 18" wheels. That, and the full-sized spare where the Rexton had a space saver (although claimed to be "full-sized", it was speed-limited). When I replaced 4 tyres on previous car it was $1600, on Koleos, $900. I'd hate to think what it would cost to replace 19" or 20" tyres, and the choices become more restricted as the diameter increased.

Your new Koleos looks classy, Dr. Ours is same colour but the older, more quirky shape, and of course beige interior where Bose is always black AFAIK.

Did another return trip to Perth last weekend and despite similar driving conditions, new tyres and a service with Penrite HPR5 being used, economy was worse, jumped from 9.7L/100km to 10.7. I did fill with E10 in Perth but economy for that tankfull didn't differ much from those where 98 used. Tyre pressures may be one variable- I always kept Contis at placard pressures while Beaurepaires wanted to put 38psi in- we compromised at 35 front 32 rear.

The service identified a problem (out of warranty, of course) with the right rear shock, where I'd had tyre shoulder wear. It is leaking oil, so now I'm on the lookout for a pair of aftermarket shocks. Only KYB and Bilstein appear to list them, and as Googling returns mostly UK sites, they are for the diesel model, which may be different.
    Last edited by Fred17; 21st June 2013 at 11:30 AM.

Page 4 of 25 First 1234567814 ... Last

Thread Information