Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems - Page 28
  • Register
  • Help
Page 28 of 29 First ... 18242526272829 Last
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Nothing wrong with a 10k service interval.
    Jo
    Except that you are wasting money given that no-one can prove that the recommended 15k interval is too much. Modern oil technology is better than you think. Don't forget, oil doesn't "wear out"!

Advertisement

P.S: I was merely indicating that service centres generally either don't know what they are doing or conversely do and are trying to gouge customers who don't read their owner's manuals with unnecessary and too frequent servicing.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tadpole

Its interesting that the timing chain is specified for lifetime on the M9R diesel engine so long as oil change intervals are less than 30000km, so guessing 10k or 15k still well within the spec.
    http://www.powertrain.renault.com/ap...i_MAJ_2014.pdf
    Last edited by pete2; 15th May 2018 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Except that you are wasting money given that no-one can prove that the recommended 15k interval is too much. Modern oil technology is better than you think. Don't forget, oil doesn't "wear out"!

P.S: I was merely indicating that service centres generally either don't know what they are doing or conversely do and are trying to gouge customers who don't read their owner's manuals with unnecessary and too frequent servicing.
    Just as the same no-one can't prove that 10k is too little.
    I reckon the guys up at renault tech know a thing or two about renaults though.

Jo

Tadpole

I have managed to find the receipts for the last 3 services, shows 5w30 C4 for the 75k service, "castrol 10w30 semi" for the 90k and 105k services.

Quote Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
    I have managed to find the receipts for the last 3 services, shows 5w30 C4 for the 75k service, "castrol 10w30 semi" for the 90k and 105k services.
    Hmm.
    This is what mine get filled with..
    5W30 Oil - Synthetic Engine Oil EVOLUTION FULL TECH FE - ELF

Do they share the same loom???

I'd suspect not, and therefore suspect the wiper motor to be different, even if it were just a different connector plug....
    Report back with your findings please!

Jo
    Its a Nissan unit, but seems to specific to Koleos and not a known part-number in nissan australia database. Got it shipped from the UK instead. Replace is straight forward 30min job, just be careful of tabs - I broke a few in removing the plastic bit under the windscreen. Loom connection was little tough to disconnect. It needs a 14mm (windscreen bolts) and 10mm (to remove unit). I didnt know how to open up the broken unit - but I suspect these plastic gears broke. May try it sometime.

It feels early for a failure .. these are supposed to last the life of the car or around 1.5m wipes. I winder if its the wiper I used ..the one I used was never smooth and wonder if it put pressure on the motor ... what is everyone using for windscreen wiper replacement? Guys at the wrecker said it was a popular part so must mean lots of folks getting early failures on it and no spares could be found.
    jo proffi likes this.

No one really changes oil at less than 10k miles in the US (some have 15k mile intervals) unless its a high performance motor or uses crappy thin oil in a domestic that breaks down too quickly. This means its a 17,000 km service at least - so Renault 15k is on the money. So a good weight synthetic or semi is good for much more (like the castrol edge 5W-40 which meets renault RN0710/RN0700 spec and is awesome smooth), so long as the OIL FILTER can keep up with the mileage (i.e., dont use a crappy one). Or you can just change the filter, cut open the old one and inspect and top-up. The 5-10k service intervals is just a grab at your wallet!

Fellow Frogger!

Damn, Sorry to hear that.:disappear:

Jo
    Equally sorry and alarmed! We were led to believe that a timing chain was supposed to alleviate the angst about failure as was common with rubber belts. Not good news.
    By the way, I see nothing wrong with a Nissan dealer servicing my Koleos as the mechanicals are the same. In fact, I buy my 'consumables from the local Nissan Dealer instead of driving all over town to the very rare Renault dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Equally sorry and alarmed! We were led to believe that a timing chain was supposed to alleviate the angst about failure as was common with rubber belts. Not good news.
    By the way, I see nothing wrong with a Nissan dealer servicing my Koleos as the mechanicals are the same. In fact, I buy my 'consumables from the local Nissan Dealer instead of driving all over town to the very rare Renault dealer.
    That's for a turbo diesel right - a true Reno unit? The 2.5L is a self adjusting chain and so nothing to do there. Diesels are unclean, emissions react to sunlight so not good for Australia and there is simply no technological advantage over a petrol unit if a turbo and direct injection was added to a petrol. The only reason why we haven't seen a lot of turbo petrol because of historical insurance reasons. Diesels also suck for hybrids because of too much vibration in stop-start mode. Never buy a diesel - makes sense in europe because of tariffs/tax structure where it ends. Its outdated unclean technology. Plus most diesel units will be Renault and I seen how the french work over there haha ... I only trust Toyota and Nissan ... everything else is just way behind in terms of reliability.

Also Renault Samsung automotive unit is korean, but only the automotive unit is 80% owned by Renault, not the whole conglomerate which is massive. Korean paint technology also sucks - too soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Free888 View Post
    //Diesels are unclean, emissions react to sunlight so not good for Australia and there is simply no technological advantage over a petrol unit if a turbo and direct injection was added to a petrol.
    But when I was looking for an SUV there were no direct injection 2L petrol turbo engines to compare to…..only 2.4 NA, or 3.0L + gas guzzlers.

Anyway, you won't win any favours by coming onto a thread whose participants are largely diesel owners, and soapboxing about diesels.
    Leave that for the pond.

Jo

Tadpole

Any idea if an M9R diesel Latitude engine can swap in to a manual diesel Koleos - never mind, apparently not possible.
    Anyhow I will let the Koleos go, it was a great car. cheers.
    Last edited by pete2; 28th May 2018 at 12:24 PM.

The dash warning spanner of doom was illuminating on virtually every trip, and taking out the cruise control with a "check injector" warning, so i did about the only think I had any idea about on this car, and removed the 'chip'.

That fixed it, and I'm on day two of seeing no spanner of doom,
    To be honest, can't notice any difference between the car with or without a chip except the spanner thing.
    Back to driving everywhere on cruise control.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used diesel chip???

Jo

Tadpole

It's always reassuring to hear that we owners are the primary cause of problems with our Koleii...!

I've been driving around a 2011 Ford Mondeo for the last 6 weeks while the Koleos was on loan to my partner, who previously hated anything that wasn't petrol and manual. (Of course now she has fallen in love with it and doesn't want to give it back!) The difference between the two is incredible. The Mondeo certainly handles better as it's a wagon, and has much better fuel efficiency, but I have a new appreciation for the Koleos in almost every other regard. The Mondeo has a very jerky PowerShift transmission (compared to the slow, yet smooth 'slushbox' auto in the Koleos), is much more difficult to see out of, and because it's so long, it's harder to park and doesn't have the same around-town drivability as the Koleos.

The Koleos is getting on a bit now (celebrates its 10th birthday next year), but shows no signs of letting us down. Maybe I'll reward it with a new driver's side sun visor for its 150,000 km service in a few months time.

(Also - going slightly off topic - are there any "2 Renault families" here? We have a very old Hyundai Accent as an in-town runabout, but would like to get something a bit newer, sturdier and highway-friendlier. Considering a recent (2013+) Clio or Megane and would be interested to hear anyone's experiences.)

The dash warning spanner of doom was illuminating on virtually every trip, and taking out the cruise control with a "check injector" warning, so i did about the only think I had any idea about on this car, and removed the 'chip'.

That fixed it, and I'm on day two of seeing no spanner of doom,
    To be honest, can't notice any difference between the car with or without a chip except the spanner thing.
    Back to driving everywhere on cruise control.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used diesel chip???

Jo
    "Kolly" - 2009 Renault Koleos Dynamique dCi 4x4

Past:
    "Cruzy Quattro" - 2010 Holden Cruze Diesel

Iíve got 3. Koleos, RS172 and my dads old Laguna. I know the 172 inside out and itís now 16 yrs old and rock solid and still a competitive sports car. I know a LOT about these cars even down to how to do a major service inc all belts. The Laguna has the usual issues and I use it to haul building materials for my home Renoís but itís very very comfortable. Koleos is near new and a space ship to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tazfrog View Post
    Is it actually a French word and what does it mean? There are some strange vehicle names on the market these days.
    I'd suspect Koleos is meant to mean nothing at all in many languages, so not specific to any of them. I read somewhere that Solex is the same - they came up with a word that worked, meaning nothing but pronounceable in their markets in Europe.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

So anyhoo - I was washing the car a few weeks ago and noticed...

Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems-koleos.jpg

It's supposed to be a 2017 Zen but has obvious aspirations to be an Intens. Can't believe I didn't notice, but then the dealer obviously didn't either.

I'm pleased to report that at it's 9th annual <15k service the Koleos required it's third set of tyres (4), a set of front brake pads and about two tablespoons of coolant. The front rotors were previously changed by an over enthusiastic dealer at 40k. The current ones have done over 90k and are still well within specs. Nothing else has required attention on the car in 9 years apart from a battery change at about 7 years. Cheap or expensive motoring?
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by beaumobile View Post
    It's always reassuring to hear that we owners are the primary cause of problems with our Koleii...!

I've been driving around a 2011 Ford Mondeo for the last 6 weeks while the Koleos was on loan to my partner, who previously hated anything that wasn't petrol and manual. (Of course now she has fallen in love with it and doesn't want to give it back!) The difference between the two is incredible. The Mondeo certainly handles better as it's a wagon, and has much better fuel efficiency, but I have a new appreciation for the Koleos in almost every other regard. The Mondeo has a very jerky PowerShift transmission (compared to the slow, yet smooth 'slushbox' auto in the Koleos), is much more difficult to see out of, and because it's so long, it's harder to park and doesn't have the same around-town drivability as the Koleos.

The Koleos is getting on a bit now (celebrates its 10th birthday next year), but shows no signs of letting us down. Maybe I'll reward it with a new driver's side sun visor for its 150,000 km service in a few months time.

(Also - going slightly off topic - are there any "2 Renault families" here? We have a very old Hyundai Accent as an in-town runabout, but would like to get something a bit newer, sturdier and highway-friendlier. Considering a recent (2013+) Clio or Megane and would be interested to hear anyone's experiences.)
    Get yourself a brand new (or in her case new 2017) Megane Intens sedan. Blown away by the features, performance and usability, it is a really good car, replacing her Megane 1.6 soft-top and living right next to my 2009 Koleos............

Tadpole

I have a 2017 Koleos Intens.............just noticed that the fuel gauge has stopped working...............sitting at about 3/4 full tank, but nearly driven 300km (standard unleaded fill)...........

has anyone had their fuel gauge stop responding ?

A potential 1200 km on a tank sounds a little suspicious, I suggest the gauge should correct itself before the warning light comes on, they don't always perform in a linear fashion. You should seek the services of the dealer you purchased it from if it really is messing up......

Tadpole

when I start the engine, the fuel gauge makes a slow trip to the empty mark and then rises rapidly to the full mark....
    is this what others see as well ?
    or do you see a slow needle motion in both directions

I will check when the wind drops down tomorrow. I spend more time watching the "range" kilometres left than the fuel guage.

Tadpole

a question about the navigation system........I noticed on the tomtom software that it tells me I have 130 days left on the navigation software.....
    Is this standard on the koleos that you need to renew the subscription ?

Download the R-Link2 toolbox. Format an 8GB memory stick (or SD card) then stick it in the car slot for a good few minutes. Remove from car and plug into online computer. R-Link will then prompt you. Download all suggested updates. When downloaded, start engine, stick memory stick back into car slot, wait until you get an OK from R-link. Do not turn your engine off until finished. I found it just as easy to drive to a local pub for lunch whilst it updated.

P.S: my fuel gauge is still gradually getting closer to empty.....

Tadpole

155km and only used 1/8 of a tank according to my guage

Page 28 of 29 First ... 18242526272829 Last

Thread Information