Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems - Page 24
  • Register
  • Help
Page 24 of 24 First ... 142021222324
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    Went with a harder disc/pad combo last time.
    Still plenty of meat left on pads.
    Rotors are taking a pounding though.
    Probably won't get the usual 2 sets of pads to 1 rotor change.
    Stick with OE but change them yourself to save $$$.

Advertisement

Euros need to pull up from 200 kph, we only do 20........
    Will definitely be changing them myself, being doing that for years over many cars so that's no drama.

I remember when the discs on my wife's Focus needed machining (having just worn out its first ever set of pads), only to be told by the mechanic that they were already below minimum thickness! He told me that it's very common for Euro disc rotors to be very soft as they are treated as consumables with both pads and rotors changed at once. Disc machining is pretty much unheard of over there.

I have now been told that the front discs on the Koleos are below minimum thickness and need replacing, so just wondering if there is a better alternative out there or if OE are considered pretty good. Car has done 96k, not sure if they are original rotors or have been replaced at some point (had done 58k when I bought it).

If one was able to ascertain from some authoritative source, anywhere, what the minimum allowable thickness was, a quick check with the micrometer prior to service would give an owner a lot more confidence in the honesty of the prospective workshop.............
    It's another lovely day! Again!

I have now been told that the front discs on the Koleos are below minimum thickness and need replacing, so just wondering if there is a better alternative out there or if OE are considered pretty good. Car has done 96k, not sure if they are original rotors or have been replaced at some point (had done 58k when I bought it).
    I can wholeheartedly recommend both pads and disks from DBA /RDA. I've never used them on a Latitude, but I have used them on a variety of other vehicles.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    If one was able to ascertain from some authoritative source, anywhere, what the minimum allowable thickness was, a quick check with the micrometer prior to service would give an owner a lot more confidence in the honesty of the prospective workshop.............
    I just take my koleos to a workshop whose integrity is not in question.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I just take my koleos to a workshop whose integrity is not in question.
    They don't exist these days!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    They don't exist these days!
    they do , but selling cars is not one of their services.

Tadpole

I used DBA rotors and Bendix pads, replaced at 76000km. Bought on ebay for less than half what mechanic quoted, very happy thus far (was only a month ago)
    I also ended up putting on Vitora tyres ($720 fitted) made a huge difference to the handling, so one happy little Koleos driver now!
    2013 Koleos Privelge 2.0TD = freedom to go and do anything

Tadpole

Hi all,

I've had my 2009 diesel 4x4 Koleos Dynamique for about 16 months now and it's been pretty great, especially considering the bargain basement price I paid for it. I got it with 110,000 km on the clock and it hasn't given me any major issues in the 25,000 km that I've put on it. It's a great and comfy little tourer and has taken us to, from and around Sydney, as well as all over Victoria without complaint. It's a very happy car even driving through peak hour Melbourne traffic. Yes, it's a bit of a soccer mum's car (what with the tray tables and baby mirror) but I'm far happier owning it than the run of the mill Falcodores/RAV4s/Lancers that I see everywhere else, especially driven by people my age.

There are, however, a couple of minor annoyances:

1) That turning circle.

2) Headlights are great on high beam, but on low beam I'd get more illumination from a candle.

3) The auto transmission must be one of the stupidest I've ever driven. As widely reported it only changes to 6th at 110 km/h which means I almost never hit it. I was told there was a software update available for this but my dealership said it was fully up to date when they checked. (Anyone got this fixed?)

4) A couple of minor electrical issues. It blew 5 globes in about 2 months, and they were all a right pain to replace, but this might have just been due to age I'm guessing? Slightly more seriously, I did have an issue where my dashboard froze entirely and I couldn't operate the trip computer, and my indicator lights didn't show up (although the indicators still worked). I turned the car off for about 30 minutes and it fixed itself, and hasn't done this since. Also cruise control cuts out on longer drives when going over slightly bumpy roads, which Renault says could be due to the ABS engaging, but it seems to do it far too often for that. Maybe worth checking the battery?

5) The driver side sun visor is basically unusable at the moment because whenever I try and use it, it swings straight back down and blocks my entire vision. Doesn't look like it can just be pulled out and repaired either. Any advice appreciated.

Finally, it needs new front brake pads and rotors. Dealership quoted me $700 for parts + labour, but with a mechanic in the family I thought that'd be a more economical option. However, the salesman at Supercheap Auto told me there are two different types of pads based on whether you have Sumamoto (?) or Akebono brake calipers, and it doesn't look like there's a way to tell what I've got. Even Renault head office couldn't tell me.

Any suggestions as to what type of pads to use?

Fellow Frogger!

Hello Mr beaumobile of Ballarat, good to welcome you as a new member of the 'exclusive' Koleos Fraternity. I fully agree with you about the large turning circle which is a nuisance. Regarding the low beam headlights: there is a little wheel just to the right and below the steering wheel that adjusts the elevation of the lights. Regarding brake pads and rotors: refer to recent comments just above. To 'fix' your sun visor with the 'drooping' problem, i suggest go to a wrecker and get another. Happy driving!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Chez Lozza View Post
    I used DBA rotors and Bendix pads, replaced at 76000km. Bought on ebay for less than half what mechanic quoted, very happy thus far (was only a month ago)
    I also ended up putting on Vitora tyres ($720 fitted) made a huge difference to the handling, so one happy little Koleos driver now!
    I've also been recommended to go the DBA/Bendix route. Just wondering what model of pads you went with? I have a feeling that DB1696 is what I need, but I've also been told to look for DB1946...
    "Kolly" - 2009 Renault Koleos Dynamique dCi 4x4

Past:
    "Cruzy Quattro" - 2010 Holden Cruze Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by beaumobile View Post
    3) The auto transmission must be one of the stupidest I've ever driven. As widely reported it only changes to 6th at 110 km/h which means I almost never hit it. I was told there was a software update available for this but my dealership said it was fully up to date when they checked. (Anyone got this fixed?)
    Just last week i was commenting to the wife how good the auto tranny was and how much I enjoyed driving it, how it always picked the right gear and seemed a perfect mating to the diesel donk.
    80 km/h or above seems to be the speed that 6th will engage.

Jo

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Just last week i was commenting to the wife how good the auto tranny was and how much I enjoyed driving it, how it always picked the right gear and seemed a perfect mating to the diesel donk.
    80 km/h or above seems to be the speed that 6th will engage.

Jo
    Huh, there you go. What model year is yours - maybe it's just a case of mine being an early model. It seems fine up to about 60 km/h but then it gets confused and at 100 km/h it's revving at 2500 rpm in 5th.
    "Kolly" - 2009 Renault Koleos Dynamique dCi 4x4

Past:
    "Cruzy Quattro" - 2010 Holden Cruze Diesel

2013 6 speed auto diesel. privilege

Tadpole

I've also been recommended to go the DBA/Bendix route. Just wondering what model of pads you went with? I have a feeling that DB1696 is what I need, but I've also been told to look for DB1946...
    Ebay has a search capacity for specific models, I have to admit I was a tad bit nervous about whether I had the right ones, but luckily I did.
    Pretty sure 2009 model will be different to 2013 model. Hopefully someone here with a 2009 can help you.
    Cheers Lozza
    2013 Koleos Privelge 2.0TD = freedom to go and do anything

Huh, there you go. What model year is yours - maybe it's just a case of mine being an early model. It seems fine up to about 60 km/h but then it gets confused and at 100 km/h it's revving at 2500 rpm in 5th.
    You could try a/. backing off the handbrake or b/. leaving the caravan or trailer at home...

Seriously, the early model has a reluctance to drop into sixth under 110/Km/h unless the road is dead level or downhill and the engine is well up to operating temperature. The cure for this would be to fit one of these: https://www.chipexpress.com/products...ng-boxes/1848/

Mine is chipped with a plug in box.
    Came with the car when I bought it.

Cant complain..

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Chez Lozza View Post
    Interesting to hear about VITORA TYRES. Never heard of them. Where are they made? How do they compare in cost and durability with the standard fare for Koleos eg KUMHO SOLUS etc.?
    Also, what is the consensus among learned members regarding the most suitable replacement tyres for the Koleos?

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Also, what is the consensus among learned members regarding the most suitable replacement tyres for the Koleos?
    Consensus and tyres are seldom heard in the same sentence!!
    It is hard to generalise with tyres, and even harder with a vehicle whose use ranges from 100% urban use to some fairly off the beaten track 4x4ing.
    Some here think tyres lasting 70000000000km is a good thing and others think grip in the wet is important.

All I know is my so called premium tyres are 3 or so years old and squeal like a pig (when i forget that I'm driving a bus and take corners like I would in a sedan).
    I suspect that 700000000000km might potentially be attainable on these tyres, although I'll be removing them way before that point as they are aged out.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Default Genuine Renault part vs other......

Shopping for front shock bellows/bumpstop.
    Aftermarket models are scarce on the ground so went to the big R.

How much?
    $180
    Pair?
    No each.
    EACH??????????!!!!!!!!!!!
    Availability?
    None in OZ - will have to get them in from Japan.
    Look up Nissan X-Trail T-31.
    Why?
    They are the same underneath.
    You sure?
    Trust me, look them up.
    Clack clack clack (keyboard operating)
    You're right - same part number and all!!!
    How much?
    $26 each.
    Availability?
    Can be here tomorrow.
    OK, I'll take 2.

So much for the synergy of the Renault/Nissan alliance helping the final customer........

Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems-bump-stop-1.jpg Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems-bump-stop-2.jpg
    Last edited by 85Fuego; 13th October 2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Added images of gold plated bump stops

Page 24 of 24 First ... 142021222324

Thread Information