Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 25 First 12345612 ... Last
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

Tadpole

What tyre pressures are you guys all running with?

Running at the factory recommendations is just brutal for tyre life on the fronts in my experience. It really kneels on them hard through the turns.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Running 36/37 psi front and 32 psi rear.
    Have got the standard Hankooks supplied.
    Got to say VERY impressed with them.
    Haven't let me down yet.
    Have done 75K on them and recon they have at least another 7K to go.
    First reg Dec 2008.

It has to be kneeling right over at 80+ kph in bends before electronics kick in.
    ABS also doesn't kick in too early.

David

Fellow Frogger!

Had a lot of fun dismantling the trim at the back of the Koleos and am amazed at how easy it is and how various parts just 'click' into place. I am convinced that modern car designers serve their apprenticeship with LEGO!
    Anyway, I discovered what I assume to be the main harness, which has various unused plugs hanging off it, probably for the electric handbrake, park-assist and so on, stuff that the my Expression does not have. Regrettably these tricky-looking multi-pin female sockets are not labelled or identified in any way and I cannot tell which, if any, could be for the missing power socket.
    I bought a cigarette-lighter type socket from JayCar for $12, which comes with a length (not enough) of cable. Now, if I can identify the correct outlet off the harness, then all I need is a male plug that fits, and some more cable. I wonder, are these plugs generic or peculiar to every make of car?
    Alternatively, I could trade-up to a Dynamique with rear power socket! That would be $12 versus $10,000. Hmmmm...!

Fellow Frogger!

To my four registered fellow Koleos owners, I say hello, and all the best for the new year!
    During the holidays I drove all over the place, and covered many kilometers.
    The Koleos behaved competently and as I get to know it better, am rapidly 'bonding' with it.

A tip: for quick answers to your technical questions you might also consult the Australian X-Trail forum,
    which is very active and filled with good information on mechanical components shared with the Koleos.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    2L dCI 6 speed manual.
    Last fill was just under 55L for just over 700k's.
    Haven't put any more than this in the tank.
    Low fuel light on.
    Has anyone put more than this in their tank???

David
    David, I have not run the fuel down low enough to have the light come on, yet. Will let you know when I do.
    A related question: how accurate is the Koleos trip meter? Mine seems to be at least 2lit+ out.
    My Scenic was 100% correct, ie when the trip meter said I had used say 35lit, then 35lit topped the tank.
    Whilst when the Koleos trip meter says 35lit, then it needs 37-38lit to fill. I even tried different bowsers
    and service stations (because some service stations cheat!) but still the same result.

Fellow Frogger!

Breitie,

Because I always fill before a long 1/2 hr trip, I always fill to the brim ie the filler neck.
    It's always 2~3 litres out, compared to the trip computer.

David

Tadpole

My poor little Koleos is in getting some TLC.

Started spitting out an assload of error messages over the weekend. All rectified with a restart of the car at this stage so hopefully it is just a dicky sensor somewhere or similar.

Wish me luck.

Fellow Frogger!

Pieman,

Symptoms?
    Resolution?
    Keep us informed.

David

Tadpole

Problem resolved. Billing an issue.

Battery was on the way out and was delivering low voltage apparently which made the sensors go bananas. New battery in and no problems since then.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    (What have they done with this format? Will have to get used to it again I suppose.)
    Anyway, regarding my Koleos: upon cold starting the thing makes an awful rattling racket, obviously until the oil has circulated.
    The original oil is Elf fully synthetic 5W-W40. Is that too thin? Would I be better off using 10W-40W, perhaps even 'Magnetic' so that metal parts have a bit of a residual coating of oil upon cold start? I suspect the rattle comes from the camshaft/camCHAIN ? I am so happy to now have the cam CHAIN instead of the unreliable dodgy rubber belt and am willing to put up with a bit of old fashioned cam-chain rattle.
    Changed oil to SHELL HELIX ULTRA fully synthetic. No more death rattle!

Tadpole

Anyone else noticed their smartphone kills the proximity key if you have them close together?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Pieman View Post
    Anyone else noticed their smartphone kills the proximity key if you have them close together?
    Yes. All these wonderful electronic gadgets interfere with each other. One of the latest car theft tricks is to take a garage door remote to a shopping centre car park and wait until someone is about to lock their car with their remote key, then press the garage door remote at the same time. This disables the car remote and all the thief has to do is wait for the victim to walk away to do their shopping, before clearing their car of valuables, or even stealing it. Simple! So, when you park your car with your remote, make sure it is actually locked.

Any ideas for 'customising' my lovely Koleos? I have fitted front mudflaps (should be standard actually), also an aftermarket rubber 'door protector strip' along the vee on the lower part of the doors because that is very vulnerable to chipping in parking lots (looks shmick - not shown in the early picture at left, but you see what I mean about 'vulnerable') as well as door sill nameplates (are supposed to light up but there is NO WAY I am cutting into the wiring loom - need to connect them to the in-door foot lights), and a black plastic grill to protect the radiator from debris (gutter guard actually, from Bunnings, fits perfectly and costs nothing) I need more ideas.
    Just bought a Koleos Dynamique and in redland bay area and enjoying it! How is your gutter guard holding up and how did you hold it into place? I saw a grill insert for koleos in eBay for $150 but holes are big and seeing little rock dents in the soft grill fins already. Where do you get your Renault serviced? Did you eventually get your sill plates installed?

Also am getting slightly rough engine starts on my petrol, mostly when engine is hot (oil too thin for engine starts when hot?). Did the Shell Ultra 5w-40 also hold up? Also anyone servicing at 15k intervals - my dealer says 15k interval ok but my manual and Renault web site says 10k. I think Nissan says 15k also. Confused.

Thanks in advance and sorry for lots of questions.

P.s. I also bought koleos 4 piece door chrome inserts, LED interior lights (OEM too dim), PVC flooring to protect the plastic tailgate (scratches easy) and thinking of painting the silver sat nav trim piano black to reduce windscreen glare like in the Bose and privilege. Otherwise may need to buy dash mat as glare is pretty bad. Also there are DRL fit for koleos but only connects to the fog lights.

Also I do not like the door protector strips as can damage paint in QLD sun.

Fellow Frogger!

Wow! An other Koleos enthusiast at last! Welcome! Congratulations on getting the Dynamique. That puts you ahead of my humble Expression. But my car is not short on features, except auto handbrake, wipers and lights. Don't need those as I still have two hands.
    Now to your questions:
    Gutter Guard: radiator protector is holding up fine, you have a choice of several at Bunnings. I bought soft plastic one with smallish openings and fixed it with white cable ties (car is white).
    Service intervals: only needed one service so far, done locally. Nothing to it, the handbook itemises what needs to be done at each service level. No mystery there. Later services, say 30K upwards may need a bit more work, like brakes, plugs, change of fluids etc.
    Sill plates: I installed the illuminated sill plates myself, easy, as everything just clips together. Finding the right wire to cut into took a bit of puzzling, but managed that too as wires are colour coded.
    Rough starts: grated on my nerves (refer to post above) but since oil change and new oil filter, no more timing chain rattle. Don't know why. Perhaps the new filter, branded Nissan, has a non-backflow function that prevents all the oil from the head to drain back down. I notice on the X-trail forum owners mentioned a similar occurrence and someone suggested the appropriate oil filter. Different oil may have something to do with it too.
    Service intervals: in my case once-a-year, or 10,000km is the minimum. Modern synthetic oils last a long time but still get dirty.
    Dash mat: cannot find one, too few Koleos'e here, therefore no aftermarket. I use a dark towel to keep the dash from cooking and to reduce glare.
    Reversing camera: bought one from JayCar, not expensive and easily installed. Internet is full of choices also.
    I also bought a new set of number plates from PPQ, with a "slimline" front plate. Looks much better.
    Was tempted to get the KOLEO5 plate in blue and yellow, but at $450 just not worth it.
    Was that the lot? Maybe we can arrange a two-Koleos "rally" some day and compare notes!!
    Finally, my Koleos is wonderful to drive and I enjoy it more very day. CANNOT, for the life of me understand why they cannot sell them here. Also, I noticed that the new RAV4 looks almost identical. Funny that! Copycats!
    Last edited by Breitie; 27th April 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hey guys,

Dash mat is available in Australia.
    Ebay special.
    Have had one for over 2 years - does the job admirably.
    Spoke to Renault about getting black trim imported from overseas initially, but nothing eventuated.
    Which idiot thought that a shiny dash trim part would not get complaints in a sunny country???

David

Thanks for the prompt response Breitie - you are ahead of the curve!

Just dropped by bunnings and installed the gutter guard, and like you chose the soft one with black ties (they are UV coated, not sure about white ones). May consider the more fancy ones when I need to pull the bumper off.

How does the camera work - does it hook into the sat nav or output to the rear view mirror? Agree slimline plates look better!

Just had the 10k service and still have the rattle so may go to Nissan and pickup their filter and try to swap out and hope I don't lose too much oil as an experiment. I do prefer Nissan service as coming from a dualis. Hope the filter is accessible!

Definitely interested in swapping notes since we are close, especially if I feel brave and go for DIY sill plates like u

People have no idea what a koleos is - get curious looks all the time but strangely from guys. Women are too into VW and mazdas CX5 - the insurance lady had no clue. Almost went for a CRV or runnout Kuga but got a great deal on this. Wished it had folding mirrors.

Agree Dave - I would prefer factory black as looks like classy compression molded trim instead off risky paint job. Not sure if dealer will helpout. Maybe a vinyl skin?

Last resort will be the dash mat but that's so 90s...

Fellow Frogger!

Agree with the 90's look.
    However.....getting in the car after parking it outside all day in the sun, that dash is like a 2400Watt bar radiator...
    Used to take at least 10 mins to cool down the cabin.
    Definately lowers re-radiation, so I accept the daggy look.

Hate to think what it is going to cost to get the dash re-skinned.

David

Fellow Frogger!

Rear view camera: simply plugs into the accessory sockets, front and back. You can get different cameras and monitors, mine hooks on the number plate at the back, and clips over the standard mirror in front. Can get dash mounted monitors also if you prefer.
    Oil filter: no need to go to Nissan as the one supplied by Renault dealer (Bryan Byrt) is branded Nissan but comes in a Renault box. So, either supplier gets you the same item. Also, filters for X-Trails are readily available from all automotive spares suppliers but may be RYCO or similar. Beware of the "did not use genuine parts" argument if something goes awry! You have a Nissan dealer handy in Cleveland anyway. Oil filter lives behind the right front wheel. Remove wheel, remove cheap plastic shield by pulling out panel pins, and there it is. Should be just "hand tightened" and normally not require a spanner. Easy!
    I will try to source a proper dash mat as my daggy towel solution "is so twenties"! (but it does the job!)
    Shiny trim on dash: later models, including mine do not have that anymore. Someone must have taken notice.
    Folding mirrors: you don't have them? That is curious. Or do you mean "powered" folding mirrors?
    Last edited by Breitie; 28th April 2013 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    Agree with the 90's look.
    However.....getting in the car after parking it outside all day in the sun, that dash is like a 2400Watt bar radiator...
    Used to take at least 10 mins to cool down the cabin.
    Definately lowers re-radiation, so I accept the daggy look.

Hate to think what it is going to cost to get the dash re-skinned.

David
    Yeah I think I agree that mats will be how it plays out..hoping to just reskin the shiny trim, which I think can be easily removed. See this link

http://www.autoradioforum.com/showth...Renault-koleos

Ever hopeful...that's the beauty with DIY mods, you can take your time.

Rear view camera: simply plugs into the accessory sockets, front and back. You can get different cameras and monitors, mine hooks on the number plate at the back, and clips over the standard mirror in front. Can get dash mounted monitors also if you prefer.
    Oil filter: no need to go to Nissan as the one supplied by Renault dealer (Bryan Byrt) is branded Nissan but comes in a Renault box. So, either supplier gets you the same item. Also, filters for X-Trails are readily available from all automotive spares suppliers but may be RYCO or similar. Beware of the "did not use genuine parts" argument if something goes awry! You have a Nissan dealer handy in Cleveland anyway. Oil filter lives behind the right front wheel. Remove wheel, remove cheap plastic shield by pulling out panel pins, and there it is. Should be just "hand tightened" and normally not require a spanner. Easy!
    I will try to source a proper dash mat as my daggy towel solution "is so twenties"! (but it does the job!)
    Shiny trim on dash: later models, including mine do not have that anymore. Someone must have taken notice.
    Folding mirrors: you don't have them? That is curious. Or do you mean "powered" folding mirrors?
    Thanks again pal. Yup powered folding mirrors..this beast is a little big for my garage. It's bigger and taller than expected actually.

Well I just got it serviced by Renault, so filter should be Nissan, so that means I should just check that it's the proper filter, dump the elf stuff and pour in the Shell Ultra, and probably at the Cleveland Nissan dealership, which is where we serice our nissan anyway.

P.s. whats with the lack of DIY servicing det in the manual? Doesn't even tell u the oil spe or drain plug!
    Last edited by Free888; 28th April 2013 at 09:15 PM.

BTW does anyone notice bad camber on the Koleos? I get pull to the left pretty bad, and went to get wheel alignment and was told I need a camber bolt kit as Koleos not setup for our roads in euro spec. They adjusted it so not as bad now but still difficult to drive straight ahead.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Free888 View Post
    BTW does anyone notice bad camber on the Koleos? ..... They adjusted it so not as bad now but still difficult to drive straight ahead.
    Mine is fine, tyres still ok after 85k.

X-trails have oodles of complaints about pull to the left.
    There are offset bushes available for them, see here should fit us as well.

The T-30's (x-trail Mk1) have replacent arms available with polyurethane bushes from the same crowd.
    They are developing replacements for T-31's (xtrail Mk 2/Koleos) but have not got them on the market yet.

My LH rear front control arm bush has gone, doing the legwork about bush replacents as we speak.
    The word is the life of the bush is about the life of the ball joint.

Plenty of Koleos/x-trail T-31 front control arms on sale on ebay uk, but of what quality?
    Would rather better/longer life replacents hence the above search.

Will post details when search complete/work done.

David

Thanks David. At first I thought it was some damage I was unaware of, but now I thinks the car wasn't designed for our roads. I have -1 degree camber on my front right which cant be adjusted further,and just worried about the toe settings used to dial out some of that left pull could lead to uneven tire wear. Those continentals are expensive!

Generally I prefer factory bushes as I used poly bushes before and found that factory rubber bushes give a better ride.

Tadpole

Great thread everyone. Useful stuff. I'll share my experiences here. I have a 2009 Dynamique Diesel 4wd Sports Auto. 121000-ish on the clock and she's never (touch wood) skipped a beat. I've noticed the odd 'popping' noise (as best as I can describe it) from the rear suspension over bumpy terrain every now and then but Renault service guys could never find anything wrong. Anyway, I'd like to start (maybe) servicing it myself (I do my mower and tractor so maybe this is possible). Is anyone else doing this? I'd leave brakes/suspension/etc to the pros, but oil and filter changes are straight forward enough surely...Any feedback? Thanks.

Page 2 of 25 First 12345612 ... Last

Thread Information