Latitude Hints, Tips and Problems - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Latitude Hints, Tips and Problems

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Unfortunately I have to report my car went into limp mod this morning and luckily I was in our drive. It also displayed "engine hazard Stop" in red. So rang the Renault roadside breakdown number and despite the fact that we live out in the country she promised a person to check it out within one hour. Sure enough 40 minutes later a guy from the local auto electrician arrives with his ubeaut computer and it shows an accelerator sensor fault. However it came good. But as he said it could go faulty again at any time. So it will be on a tilt bed later today and in to the nearest Renault dealer (Cricks) to look at Monday. It is due for 40,000 k's service and was booked in for Wednesday with a loan car. So rang Cricks and cancelled Wednesdays loan car and asked them to do the service when it gets in there. Andrew said he had never heard of such a fault. Lucky the car computer shows that that is what the problem was. More later.
    Car arrived a Cricks and they said that the battery voltage was also low. So new battery and a service and all seems to be well. We have probably done 500 kilometres since so I think that must have been the problem. Makes sense because I had just started the car and driven a few 100 metres when I stopped at an idle so perhaps the alternator didn't get a chance to charge up the battery if it was on the way out. Car and therefore battery is 3 years old. Interestingly both my wife and I reckon the car has a lot better acceleration. Perhaps they gave it the equivalent to an old fashioned tune up. I guess that means tweeked the computer or something similar.

Advertisement

These Korean Renaults..... The common factor in so many issues seems to come back to the driving voltage, doesn't it. I keep saying they are just computers on wheels.

Good it seems fixed. I imagine that is all the issue was.

Our first Scenic once started (when staying on the south coast with an Irish cousin of mine) perfectly as usual and was turned off a few seconds later. Next start, after we'd loaded up the car, absolutely nothing. The battery died, or at least its voltage dropped below some threshold or other, and it wouldn't even turn over when I pressed the button. Jump started first crank, we drove to Albany as planned and I got a new battery. No trouble since, and that was 18 months ago! In an older car, it would have just cranked slowly and maybe even fired!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Lectricity! Can't go anywhere without it...........
    It's another lovely day! Again!

1000+ Posts

Our Laguna is a bit hard on batteries, fortunately when it fails it is just within the RACV battery free replacement period, don't know how it does it, but it must sense it or something, nice to buy one expensive battery that goes so long with free progeny, so I sort of swear by RACV batteries, they stand behind their warranty 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Car arrived a Cricks and they said that the battery voltage was also low. So new battery and a service and all seems to be well. We have probably done 500 kilometres since so I think that must have been the problem. Makes sense because I had just started the car and driven a few 100 metres when I stopped at an idle so perhaps the alternator didn't get a chance to charge up the battery if it was on the way out. Car and therefore battery is 3 years old. Interestingly both my wife and I reckon the car has a lot better acceleration. Perhaps they gave it the equivalent to an old fashioned tune up. I guess that means tweeked the computer or something similar.
    Our Latitude luxe diesel's battery died suddenly at about 60k or approx 4 years so not bad ... now averaging 6.9 l per 100k after moving to coffs harbour and besides normal maintainance been gr8 ...the sunroof has developed a rattle & dealer said will fix next service (75k) also told service would cost ($450) which is quite resonable ... looking seriously at new Koleos intens & would love a diesel but none till mid/late 2017

Sent from my SM-T805Y using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Remo likes this.

Tadpole

Hi All,
    I am a new owner of a Latitude, 2012 diesel – loving the car.
    It recently had its 45,000 service – capped price was good BUT was advised that it needed new front disc rotors and pads, I ended up getting them done.
    After talking with a few people I’m starting to feel ripped off that they insisted that this needed to be done.
    Has anyone else had any similar issues with the brakes?
    Cheers

Tadpole

Is anyone able to comment on the 'real' FUEL ECONOMY of the Latitude Diesel, I have a feeling the 6._L/100 isn't a true reflection of mix used driving. If you're able to comment on servicing and maintenance costs also, I'd appreciate that as I'm considering making a purchase in the next fortnight. Thanks in advance.

Tadpole

hey Niks. are you able to comment on the running costs and durability of the car? I'm considering purchasing one of the last demo models available. would you personally recommend the Latitude after 2yrs of driving one?

I regularly get mid to high sixes in my Laguna (which shares the same engine). I do a fair bit of motorway driving however.

Dave
    2009 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi wagon
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by sean71 View Post
    Hi All,
    I am a new owner of a Latitude, 2012 diesel – loving the car.
    It recently had its 45,000 service – capped price was good BUT was advised that it needed new front disc rotors and pads, I ended up getting them done.
    After talking with a few people I’m starting to feel ripped off that they insisted that this needed to be done.
    Has anyone else had any similar issues with the brakes?
    Cheers
    I've had similar issues with my last two new Renaults at the same service centre. On replacement of rotors and pads at about 35000 Km my cars have sailed past another 65000 Km before needing any other brake attention. It's probably the reason that Renault service centre is no longer a dealer or service centre. They will all try you on, so use a set of measuring calipers on your rotors to ensure they are out of spec before agreeing to a change.
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 26th October 2016 at 10:03 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I've had similar issues with my last two new Renaults at the same service centre. On replacement of rotors and pads at about 35000 Km my cars have sailed past another 65000 Km before needing any other brake attention. It's probably the reason that Renault service centre is no longer a dealer or service centre. They will all try you on, so use a set of measuring calipers on your rotors to ensure they are out of spec before agreeing to a change.
    This seems to be the new reality as everyone seems to be on the same bandwagon of changing out rotors that have some wear rather than machining or dressing them up, fav, excuse seems to be out of spec. Mostly I ask for the replaced items to check wear myself as I am interested to see the condition of removed items. Not that this is foolproof if the dealer has plenty of badly worn out of spec items to fob off as those from your car. You could do as a mate/colleague did and mark all the service items as a check that the dealer is doing their job properly, remarkably his check showed up that filters and suchlike hadn't been changed, but he had been charged for same (Toyota Dealer in those days) not Renault.

My only experience of that sort of behaviour was in relation to the Renault Dealer charging for two batteries being changed in key card when they only had one keycard in their possession!

If that happens, for me, there is no second chance for that dealer and such a trivial item to destroy consumer confidence.

So if you have any suspicion as to how your dealer is performing, might be worth a check to confirm or put aside the nagging doubt..

Ken.

Tadpole

Hello Everyone. I'm new to both Renault ownership and the forum. I picked up a 2011 Latitude last weekend. It's the 2.0TD. So far I'm really impressed with it. It's got lots of creature comforts, it uses very little fuel and it's got a decent amount of poke when you want to put the foot down. Running around the Sunshine Coast, I'm getting 7.2 - 7.4 l/100km's which is less than half my old BMW X5 4,6IS used to use. Up here I pay $1.22 for diesel and used to pay $1.55 for PULP. I was surprised at the physical dimension of the car. It's a lot bigger than it looked in the car yard pictures. It's quite a bit longer than my old X5. All in all I'm very happy with the purchase.
    Last edited by johnmrson; 23rd February 2017 at 11:49 AM.

Perhaps it is a matter of economics rather the deliberate collusion.

These day rotors are cheap as chips, aftermarket, for common vehicles, less the $50 ea trade.

At that price new, it simply not worth the time for the dealer to send them away and have them machined. Very few workshops seem to have disk/ drum lathe these days.

And when a dealer does an inspection, the question "will these disks last (remain 100% effective) until the next scheduled service" is always an issue. Deep scores and buckles will generally write the disks off.

And of course with the current fuel efficiency fanaticism of manufacturers. Are the disks designed to have no extra "meat" to skim?

Paying through the nose for regular service, using OEM parts, is just a "benefit" of having a dealer service your car.

Disk and pad replacement as a DIY job is almost therapeutic and a pair DBA Rotors and pads sets generally costs around $120 at real trade price and takes about 1.5 hours a side.

Dealers are running a commercial venture and will never fail to maximise the bottom line on a invoice. I pick and choose the the works I authorize them to carry out.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Perhaps it is a matter of economics rather the deliberate collusion.

These day rotors are cheap as chips, aftermarket, for common vehicles, less the $50 ea trade.

At that price new, it simply not worth the time for the dealer to send them away and have them machined. Very few workshops seem to have disk/ drum lathe these days.

And when a dealer does an inspection, the question "will these disks last (remain 100% effective) until the next scheduled service" is always an issue. Deep scores and buckles will generally write the disks off.

And of course with the current fuel efficiency fanaticism of manufacturers. Are the disks designed to have no extra "meat" to skim?

Paying through the nose for regular service, using OEM parts, is just a "benefit" of having a dealer service your car.

Disk and pad replacement as a DIY job is almost therapeutic and a pair DBA Rotors and pads sets generally costs around $120 at real trade price and takes about 1.5 hours a side.

Dealers are running a commercial venture and will never fail to maximise the bottom line on a invoice. I pick and choose the the works I authorize them to carry out.
    I work on the principle that the more ridges and scoring on a rotor, the more surface area there is for the pads to work on......

I work on the principle that the more ridges and scoring on a rotor, the more surface area there is for the pads to work on......
    A somewhat different theory to what is used to assess RWC condition.

And not really conducive to progressive braking, pad longevity, nor driving pleasure.

But each to his own. Many may disagree with your theory.

I've finished rallies with badly scored rotors and barely any pad material, but the 16 kept stopping. It even kept stopping metal to metal, as long as you were travelling over 80 km/h. Not so good in low speed traffic though.....had to get home somehow!

I've finished rallies with badly scored rotors and barely any pad material, but the 16 kept stopping. It even kept stopping metal to metal, as long as you were travelling over 80 km/h. Not so good in low speed traffic though.....had to get home somehow!
    I had my 16TS go metal to metal and my mate was driving. We were about 22 yrs old, 2 ladies in the back. The front locked up (not sure which side) and we were coming downhill on a 5 km stretch, but she let go thank god. I was young n dumb. Ha ha. I'm much more sympathetic now but it was scary enough to remember. I'm pretty sure back then I never gave a thought to the brakes. Now it's very different. Can change the 172 discs and pads in a couple of hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a total myth that scored disks improve braking. And anyone in their right mind would ensure disks remain smooth and as clean as possible. And the pads have plenty of friction material.

Braking is all about maximum force per unit area when applying the brakes.

And scores in the disk, although notionally increasing the contact area, simply prevent the major area of the pad applying maximum force to the disk.

And, yes, a few of us have had lapses of common sense and driven cars with unsafe brakes and paid a premium afterwards to have the damage repaired.

It's not something I like to boast about and exactly the situation a OEM Dealer would try prevent by the timely replacement of suspect rotors.

Not boasting, Rob. I just couldn't find a Renault dealer open at 10am on a Sunday morning between Lorne and Dandenong.........

Not boasting, Rob. I just couldn't find a Renault dealer open at 10am on a Sunday morning between Lorne and Dandenong.........
    On the other hand and perhaps more to topic. If the car had been serviced, or the brakes visually checked prior to the event, then perhaps the situation could could have been avoided.

It's called preparation for the event.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    On the other hand and perhaps more to topic. If the car had been serviced, or the brakes visually checked prior to the event, then perhaps the situation could could have been avoided.

It's called preparation for the event.
    In the same event, I ripped the LHS wishbone off the torsion bar courtesy of a massive hidden pothole. It was fixed at the next servo we found open on Saturday. In 18 years of rallying I never ran out of brakes, except for the Western District Car Club two day rally that year which appeared to be very hard on brakes. And other stuff. I should remind our readers (and Rob) that we were a self funded, shoestring, un-sponsored team, no service crew. That's how it was for the bulk of competitors then. At least we managed to remain on the road for the duration of every event we entered and finished them all as well.

In the same event, I ripped the LHS wishbone off the torsion bar courtesy of a massive hidden pothole. It was fixed at the next servo we found open on Saturday. In 18 years of rallying I never ran out of brakes, except for the Western District Car Club two day rally that year which appeared to be very hard on brakes. And other stuff. I should remind our readers (and Rob) that we were a self funded, shoestring, un-sponsored team, no service crew. That's how it was for the bulk of competitors then. At least we managed to remain on the road for the duration of every event we entered and finished them all as well.
    Nice to know !

However largely irrelevant to to the original thread topic of dealers, allegedly, erroneously replacing brake rotors.

Tadpole

Has anyone had to replace a front fog light lens? I've just noticed that mine is broken. I assume that you can just replace the lens as opposed to the whole light. Thanks. John

Just had the 60,000km service interval done today, 'B service' and a major one at that. Cost from Unley Renault, Adelaide - $970.00!! Lucky for me, when I bought my Latitude second hand from Brighton Renault, Melbourne, it was sold with the 'Diamond Advantage Program' with 2 Free schedule services and the balance of the new car warranty and road side assist, so it didn't cost me anything. I've only done 48,000km, so all services are being done on time duration, not kilometres. The last service was done 12 months ago and I had only clicked over to 41,000km, so I haven't don't too many kilometres between the services.

My steering wheel has developed a spilt in the top of the wheel, which is finished in that black 'piano' finish surface, it's not leather, like the rest of the steering wheel. I asked them to take a look at it, hoping it would be a warranty job as it's still under the new car warranty, which runs out in August 2018 and there were no questions asked. They did the warranty claim and now I just have to wait for the new steering wheel to arrive, which will be replaced all under warranty! It was so easy, which is how it should.

James
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive
    2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2006 SMART ForFour Brabus 1.5L Turbo Manual Hatch - Past Drive
    2000 Volkswagen Polo 16V 1.6L Manual Hatch - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information