Moving Engine/transaxle back by 10 -15mm?
  • Register
  • Help
    Administrator

Default Moving Engine/transaxle back by 10 -15mm?

I was looking into the possibility of moving the entire driveline in the Fuego back by 10-15mm to provide easier clearance for a second thermo fan.

I am running different engine mounts (stud on both ends) so it will be no big deal to drill new holes in the mounting plates. The gearbox mount be a bit trickier, but I might take the opportunity to make up something a bit better so I can get rid of the front mount.

I can't see any real clearance issues, but I was wondering if there would be any problems with the driveshafts being on a forward angle. I can't think of any reason why it should matter, but thought I may have overlooked something...

Advertisement

You'll have to shorten the gear linkage the same amount, but the driveshafts wont care. If everything clears, you'll only gain better weight distribution.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    You'll have to shorten the gear linkage the same amount
    Yeah, that'll be pretty easy to sort out.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

can't see such a small amount of movement creating much difference in driveshaft joint running angles so you should be fine
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I've done this a couple of times, it's fairly quick. Just drive into a tree or stump.

yeah fuego's really shorten easy like this
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I've done this a couple of times, it's fairly quick. Just drive into a tree or stump.
    He's been there done that. That's what got him into this mess in the first place.

Richard, just thinking forward 20 years, we all know that on RX4's the most common reason for gearbox failure is because the LH inner boot splits letting out all the oil. The inner boot is the same as 2WD and the same as R19 10 years earlier. R19 and 2wd don't usually have any split boot issures whereas RX4 do and the only thing we can put it down to is the angle of the shaft, RX4 has higher ground clearence and even though the engine sits lower in the chassis to allow for this the driveshafts are still on more angle than the 2wd versions.

Our Dacia has higher ground clearence than a 12 because its 4wd and has horrible driveshaft noise on full acceleration or over speed humps because they run at more angle.

I think your shafts will still work but for how long is the question, and keep an eye on your boots.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Can you leave it all where it is and simply install a much more powerful fan????

Your new exhaust will possibly not fit if the engine is 15mm further back.

Jo

One thing I remember is that on R12 where people changing the front end camber by turning around the upper balljoint and moving out the lower balljoint had problems with the driveshafts coming out of the inboard joint. The difference in length is about 1cm.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Wouldn't it be a lot easier and simpler to shift the battery to the rear of the boot?
    If you do the sums, you would probably find it would have a greater effect on weight distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    One thing I remember is that on R12 where people changing the front end camber by turning around the upper balljoint and moving out the lower balljoint had problems with the driveshafts coming out of the inboard joint. The difference in length is about 1cm.
    I have some experience with this in fuego's.

It is not so much that the static geometry is so flawed, its more about the dynamics of the gearbox flopping around which is the trigger for failure.

If the fuego gearbox is secured properly with two mounts or some other proper mounting system, the drive shafts do not get ripped to bits when the joints hit the "too far' point because this point is not reached.

This is going to be one of the keys to the longevity of the drive shafts regardless of their offset.

Jo

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Wouldn't it be a lot easier and simpler to shift the battery to the rear of the boot?
    If you do the sums, you would probably find it would have a greater effect on weight distribution.
    Battery is already in the boot under the back recess.

I only have one largish fan on the front, and whilst it hasn't overheated, I'd still prefer to get a second fan in there if at all possible to overcome the restriction to airflow that the intercooler places.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Can you leave it all where it is and simply install a much more powerful fan????

Your new exhaust will possibly not fit if the engine is 15mm further back.

Jo
    The exhaust is flanged in a few places underneath, so the exhaust can just have 15mm cut out...he can weld in a new o2 bung 36 inches from the turbo while he's there.

Jo, you're probably right, I don't have direct experience.

But mistareno, how about replacing the one largish fan with a number of (electric) smaller fans side by side (or at least two like in the 205). The narrow type aftermarket ones you can pick up rather cheaply. I reckon you'd get better cooling that way provided you cover the entire radiator surface.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Administrator

Jo, you're probably right, I don't have direct experience.

But mistareno, how about replacing the one largish fan with a number of (electric) smaller fans side by side (or at least two like in the 205). The narrow type aftermarket ones you can pick up rather cheaply. I reckon you'd get better cooling that way provided you cover the entire radiator surface.
    The Fuego usually has two electric fans in front of the radiator in a pusher configuration. They have no shrouding at all so alot of the air seems to just blow around the condenser/radiator (instead of through it) and the don't seem to move all that much air in the first place.

The after market electric fan I have fitted is the lowest profile fan I could find. It has a shrouded fan, but only the size of the blades.

It is on the drivers side of the car (hotter inlet side of the radiator).

I had to kick the radiator out at the bottom by 20mm to fit the first fan, so it wasn't an easy task.

It has been cooling ok so far but I can almost squeeze a second identical fan in next to it (which would ease my mind a bit) but will fall short on clearance by about 5mm.

There really isn't much space in the front of a Fuego and now that I have an intercooler in front of everything, there is even less.

Ideally I'd like to fit something like this as a puller if I can squeeze it in -

That was my sort of idea. But I think pushing fans are more efficient than pulling. Is there no room in front of the rad to squeeze in two slim fans like that?
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 13th September 2012 at 04:55 PM.

Administrator

Is there no room in front of the rad to squeeze in two fans like that?
    Not a hope unfortunately

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I made up just that for my Floride which has a feugo rad and it pulls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving Engine/transaxle back by 10 -15mm?-photo0140.jpg  
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Not a hope unfortunately

Bummer. No chance of finding/making a slimmer rad?

Thread Information