Why a 16TS is better tan a Laguna !!!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Why a 16TS is better tan a Laguna !!!

I have always maintained that modern Renaults have lost the plot, and are nowhere near as good as the "70s cars.

The picture proves it.

Ray

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why a 16TS is better tan a Laguna !!!-laguna-utiliy.jpg  
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

COL

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    I have always maintained that modern Renaults have lost the plot, and are nowhere near as good as the "70s cars.

The picture proves it.

Ray
    Hi Ray

I'm with you on that one, when you look at the seating configurations of an R16 and I compare them to my Laguna 1 there is no comparrison. The laguna is a nice car but when it comes time to carry a load the rear seat folding arrangement is crap.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

What I hated in my S2 Laguna estate was that the rear seat never folded completely flat - it was like at a 45 deg angle!
    Comfortable seat, but at a price.
    KB

COL

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    What I hated in my S2 Laguna estate was that the rear seat never folded completely flat - it was like at a 45 deg angle!
    Comfortable seat, but at a price.
    So they carried the same mistake over from the Laguna 1. Mine is a hatchback and that about descibes my back seat when folded down. Its about the only negative of the car.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Fellow Frogger!

can't you flick up or remove the seat base so that the seat back folds down flatter?

Many years ago my Dad who was an astronomer transported the optical components of an X-ray machine from Canbera to Melbourne. This was essentially a large tube with lenses at each end. With the front passenger seat folded flat it sat almost diagonally accross the car. As a Kid I was most impressed with the size of this thing that Dad had managed to fit into a little Renault 16TS.

Mind you it didn't quite have the cargo handling capacity of the other family car. A Volvo 1975 145 station wagon. The back seats fold flat to create a large box like volume for carrying stuff. (Dad still has it as a second car.)

Like the laguna pictured above modern cars are all curvy and stylish but not very practical for carrying stuff.
    The Commodore Sports wagon has a curvy roof and tailgate. That will cut down the carying capacity.

In my Xantia the rear seats don't quite fold flat which is a bit annoying.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by simca1100 View Post
    can't you flick up or remove the seat base so that the seat back folds down flatter?
    No, I don't believe so. The rear seats are sculptured. I think you can lift the seat for access to the fuel pump, but that's taking it out, not folding it forward.
    KB

Default Why a 16TS is better tan a Laguna !!!

The Megane and Clio have flip forward seat bases... Why not the Laguna?

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

The picture proves it.
    That's being a bit hard on the poor Laguna, considering the car in the pic is a Clio Symbol. A three box (non-hatch) car developed by Renault for markets where three-box cars are considered more desirable than utilitarian appearance hatchbacks.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    No, I don't believe so. The rear seats are sculptured. I think you can lift the seat for access to the fuel pump, but that's taking it out, not folding it forward.
    A pic in a Laguna 2 brochure shows the hatch where the backrest flops down onto the seat cushion, and on the wagon, the cushion being lifted up to allow the backrest to form a flat floor.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

COL

Quote Originally Posted by simca1100 View Post
    Yes you can but they are nowhere as solid as the ones on my R12, and I doubt they would carry the same load.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

My Laguna 1 folded flat. As did my R21 Estate.

1000+ Posts

I guess that I should have taken some pics of the Laguna V6 fully loaded with a washing machine and packed to the roofline with bits and pieces of Diannes on one of our many visits to Tasmania (all fully loaded) It is amazing how much you can squeeze in, if you load carefully.

yes it would be a little better if the back seat folded down flat, (like the Fuego, that will equally carry a huge load) but I usually load heavier items high up on the seat to compress it down, and so far we have always been able to close and lock down the hatch. I have even included lounge chairs in the cargo. The removable cover in the hatch area is usually stored between the seat, and it is amazing what you can pack just in front of the seat in the footwell area (tools plumbing equipment) Fuego parts.

Both the Fuego and the Laguna mimic a Tardis in what can be packed in, we would even have several bags of dog food which was handy to balance out the loads.

I probably haven't been kind in the extent and loading of the car. but so far I haven't had to leave anything behind that I really needed to take.

I noticed that in the later laguna wagon that everything folds down flat, but if I had one of those it would only encourage me to further overload the darn thing.

Ken

Another thing in the R16's favour with regard to interior space would be the lack of trim/soundproofing in the boot area, gives you a few more CM's of space all around.

I know the squabs can be removed/folded on the Laguna 1 hatch for large load carrying.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    Another thing in the R16's favour with regard to interior space would be the lack of trim/soundproofing in the boot area, gives you a few more CM's of space all around.

I know the squabs can be removed/folded on the Laguna 1 hatch for large load carrying.
    I remember a customer back when the R20 was new. They traded there 16TS on a new 20TS and complained about the loading ability and wanted the 16 back.

There main complaint was that the 16's boot was steel and the 20 was full of nice neat plastic bits everywhere. He couldn't throw his lawn mower and all his gardening tools in the 20 for fear of damaging the plastic. He actually took it back and got the 16 back and said that the 16 was a true workhorse and he didn't need to be careful with it.

Probably the very reason there all stuffed now.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

You could have carried that box in an R4, let alone an R16.

Renault needs to be more discriminating about the people to whom they sell cars.......

The picture proves it.

Ray
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    You could have carried that box in an R4, let alone an R16.

Renault needs to be more discriminating about the people to whom they sell cars.......
    Saw Kevins answer about his Laguna wagon and he said that on his Laguna wagon that he couldn't fold the squab forward? and that he could only remove the seat - to see the petrol pump? I am mystified as on my 2002 laguna I can fold the two part squab forward and then fold the backs down to give a completely flat loading area? just like a Holden wagon - falcon etc...What I cannot understand is that on the Hatchbacks the squab is fixed and that the rear back folds forward but not completely flat due to the squab not folding forward?
    Did we get Euro wagon models here in NZ and the Oz models had some restriction on the seat design on the early Laguna II wagon's...I realy liked the shape of the hatchback and only bought the wagon because you couldn't fold the squab forward unlike the wagon (which is what i ended up by getting),,,by the way great reliability...and good fuel economy. So far one and a half years only one wheel tyre pressure sensor (ten years old and battery flat) 35 pounds on ebay. A set of 6 coils from china (more preventative rather then needed) - cost $16.75 each usd..and work 100 % so far...no problem...20 000 kms on them. Would love a tow bar for light trailer work but cost is a bit high until one turns up second hand...will use the 17 G for light trailer...gives it a job to do now and again...

My Dad bought one of the first R16's to come into the country DEC 1968 ( Adelaide) the model before R16TS which had a 1470 cc motor and he was an Electrician. What he couldn't fit in the car wasn't worth carrying. He used to lay the passenger front seat back and fold the rear seats so that a full length ladder could be placed flat inside the car and close the hatch. Ten yrs later he sold the R16 and upgraded to a R16TS. That is all he ever drove until he was 80 yrs old. From 1968 til 2001 he only had R16's....he was always getting told by his workmates to get something else. "Why should I " was his answer, there's nothing else good enough!

By the way he is 92 now , doesnt drive anymore but still to this day raves about his little Renault.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Great story.

I appreciate any person who hangs onto a car because it's a good car, rather than changing often for the sake of keeping up with everyone else!
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Fellow Frogger!

Ah the Volvo wagon. Towed a Commodore VY from Launceston to Canberra using a 245L. That's the model with no back seats, it was sold as a van and was cheaper because it was classed as a commercial vehicle. It didn't miss a beat, and it had a full set of Commodore wheels and an LS1 motor in the back of it, as well as the trailer + car...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by IThompson View Post
    Like the laguna pictured above modern cars are all curvy and stylish but not very practical for carrying stuff.
    Perhaps explains the obsession with SUV's?

We have a smallish SUV and the other day I visited my Sister who is on a few acres and has a long driveway.

I saw that her large recycle wheelie bin (the big ones with yellow lids) was still out. I had the kids in the back so was very surprised when it fitted in (sideways laying down) and I could close and almost latch the hatch. If I hadn't had a car wash bucket in the back, I reckon it would've almost closed...

It seems strange that a traditional 'car' has to be stylish and swoopy but we are prepared to have a fairly boxy SUV.

Quote Originally Posted by Selekta View Post
    Ah the Volvo wagon. Towed a Commodore VY from Launceston to Canberra using a 245L. That's the model with no back seats, it was sold as a van and was cheaper because it was classed as a commercial vehicle. It didn't miss a beat, and it had a full set of Commodore wheels and an LS1 motor in the back of it, as well as the trailer + car...

Selekta,
    Some of our customers quickly converted their 245 L's to wagons. Had the back floor cut out. Holden HR or HD wagon rear seats fitted [perfect]. The rear fold down latched simply into the side panel. Rear window mechanisms, door handles and door trim panels sourced from the early 145 model.
    I don't know if the owners had the seat configuration altered for licence purposes!
    They had the B21 engine with single carb.

Working in SA and involved with the '79 Repco Round Aus Trial we used one of these along with a trailer serving as a back-up vehicle.
    Didn't miss a beat, don't ask about the trailer.

Mark
    Your dad is one of my kind !!!

Obviously has taste......... !!!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Selekta,
    Some of our customers quickly converted their 245 L's to wagons. Had the back floor cut out. Holden HR or HD wagon rear seats fitted [perfect]. The rear fold down latched simply into the side panel. Rear window mechanisms, door handles and door trim panels sourced from the early 145 model.
    I don't know if the owners had the seat configuration altered for licence purposes!
    They had the B21 engine with single carb.

Working in SA and involved with the '79 Repco Round Aus Trial we used one of these along with a trailer serving as a back-up vehicle.
    Didn't miss a beat, don't ask about the trailer.
    This one has been beefed up - It has a B23E and a hot "H" cam out of a 242GT.

Unfortunately behind it is a lethargic 3 speed automatic!

Fellow Frogger!

This thread will only preach to the converted on renault 16's. you can't "tell anybody how good a renault 16 is". You can't convince anybody why they're better by stating facts about their load carrying capacities, or even about the way they drive. To make somebody understand why a renault 16 is better than whatever they're used to driving you have to give them the keys (of a good one) and tell them to do an interstate trip. I can't comment on what a Laguna is like compared to a 16 cause I've never had much to do with Lagunas, but renault 16's are pretty good.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information