Weber 32DIR 49 on Caravelle
  • Register
  • Help

Default Weber 32DIR 49 on Caravelle

Hi fellow forgers,

I have just rebuilt my Caravelle motor and fitted a new (old stock) Weber 32DIR 49 carbie I picked up from the Renault factory when it closed down in the 80's. Swapped over the top from my existing 32DIR 4 to take fit the air cleaner. I believe this new carby is what was originally supplied for a 16TS?!?

I've managed to get the car starting well, but I am suspicious it is running a bit rich. Plugs are looking sooty and possibly even a bit wet (fuel not oil I think). I don't think its ignition related as I have just fitted new coil, distributor cap, rotor button, plugs and pointless ignition.

As I type this, I am thinking the power boost is squirting too much petrol, because other symptom is puff of black smoke when coming off idle.

Advertisement

So here are my questions:

Do I need to re-jet/adjust this carby to use it on the 1108cc 8-port motor?
    Can I get it to squirt less petrol coming off idle?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

George V.

Is there some sort of auto correct on this forum - because I'm sure I typed froggers and not forgers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    I believe this new carby is what was originally supplied for a 16TS?!?
    The 32DIR 49 was originally fitted to the 1.4/Virage motor, so would probably require re-jetting to suit the 1100 motor.

Try using the original Caravelle jets in the new carby, just to try to getting running less rich (and washing the oil off the bores of the nicely rebuilt motor) and get the tuning and mixtures checked. Or just swap back to the original carby. Was there a reason for swapping over from the original carby?
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I was keeping the carby to use on a 1.4 motor that I plan to drop into the caravelle one day. However, after sitting in the garage for more than 20 years I thought it was time to break it out and give it whirl. Old carby throttle butterfly is sticking, and generally well worn. I do have a spare carby for parts - Do I swap out the venturis as well as the jets in the bowl do you think?

Fellow Frogger!

Hi George,

A starting point for jet selection may be the following. Renault 10 (1108 cc) used a Solex 32 Dita 3 Carby.

Choke tube (venturi) 23
    Main jet 122
    Air correction jet 140
    idling jet 45

I hope this helps.

David

George,
    What method of choke operation is used on the new carb? If butterflies they may be falling over into a part or closed position.
    Did the replacement new carb come with its full range of jets?
    If the idle jets aren't assembled correctly they can cause over richness at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    Do I swap out the venturis as well as the jets in the bowl do you think?
    The main venturis won't need to be swapped. Just keep things simple initially and swap over the jets.

The ones for the original Caravelle 32DIR 4 are as follows:

Primary idle jet 60
    Secondary idle jet 50
    (note when swapping them over from the old to new carby)

Air correction jets 150 & 160 (again, note when swapping over from old to new carby)

Accelerator pump jet 40

Emulsion tubes F9

Main jets 125

Before swapping bits over, just double and triple check that they will fit into the new carby, just incase there are production differences between them. Also note that between the carbies they will (likely) share a No. 160 air corrector jet, and a No. 60 idle jet, so you could retain those new jets in the new carby body.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for all your help. Have the car starting well, idling and running very nicely when warmed up. Still coughs and splutters a bit when cold (engine, not ambient temp). I may need to fiddle a little with fast idle/choke adjustment. I ended up re-kitting the original carby with a kit from MLP here in Melbourne. Only modification I made to the jet set up was that the carby had 4.5mm auxiliary venturis in both barrels, as opposed to 3.5 and 4.5 in most 32DIR. From what I have read, there is a smoother transition coming off idle if you have a smaller auxiliary.

A significant part of the problem was that I had inadvertently used 92 ULP instead of PULP. Much happier on the better stuff!

Thanks again for interest.

Cheers

Thread Information