Rattle in Renault Sunroof
  • Register
  • Help

Default Rattle in Renault Sunroof

Hi all my first post here, hoping I can provide some answers for people.

Advertisement

I recently purchased a 2005 Renault Megane with Panoramic roof. I purchased the car unseen from a dealer in Northern Sydney. When I went to pick the car up, it test drove well no rattles etc so I closed the deal. I then drove home to northern Queensland. Once out of the blue mountains the sunroof started to rattle above the passenger seat, and the only thing that would stop it was to drive with it slightly open.

I looked for a solution on line, and several were offered but no follow up posts on if any of them worked. Just over 3 week ago now, I set about fixing the issue.

Things you will need to get:

(1) Can on spray on Grease
    (2) Can of silicon lubricant with an extendable spray tube
    (3) Clean Rag for cleaning up over spray.

Things to check before you do anything:

(1) Open the sunroof and check the running channels and the impact point on the wind deflector at the front. Make sure there are no loose nuts bearing etc laying around. Check the wind deflector contact points are not badly worn.
    (2) Open and close the roof make sure there are parts that are obviously loose. If there are tighten them

You will probably note at this point that there is no lubrication anywhere. Take the spray grease and spray in both side tracks with the roof all the way open, spray the front supports and rollers and the pivot point on both front sets. Spray the contact points on the front wind deflector and where the spring runs in the track.

Next take the silicon spray and spray the remainder of the track the back rollers and pivot points with the silicon spray. Now I used a fair bit of this, you will need the extender to get all the way to the back and to get to the rollers in the lower track.

Once lubricated open and close the roof several times. What you are looking for is a fluid movement, no shudders. If it shudders then add more lubricant and keep moving the roof back and forwards.

Once I did those steps I took it for a test drive and the rattle had gone away. I am fairly certain the dry tracks and rollers combined with the friction point for lowering the wind deflector was not fully depressing the wind deflector. After about a week the rattle returned, I re lubricated and it has now been good for over a week.

Its a cheap fix, cost me under $25.00 for the lubricants. If this does not fix the issue, or you find a broken set of trolleys and pivot points there is a replacement parts kit available online. Also for those with wind noise there are replacement rubbers available, although some have had luck with using silicon spray on the rubbers.

Hope this helps someone out, I did some fairly extensive online searching before attempting this repair myself. On another forum it was suggested to take it to the dealer and get them to find the issue. For a car out of warranty I certainly did not have a spare kidney to do that. If anyone else has some suggestions please follow up.

I believe that Renault used the same sunroof system on most of their cars, and although I have a Megane this fix should work for other variants.

Stu

When this fails to work, there is a "sunroof repair kit" that Renault can provide/fit - I understand this replaces all the bushes etc. which ultimately wear through. Mine is in need of one as the bushes have compressed/ovalled after 7 years. Lubrication is a good point though, certainly worth doing.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    When this fails to work, there is a "sunroof repair kit" that Renault can provide/fit - I understand this replaces all the bushes etc. which ultimately wear through. Mine is in need of one as the bushes have compressed/ovalled after 7 years. Lubrication is a good point though, certainly worth doing.
    That repair kit is available online a lot cheaper than the Dealer Network in Australia. I believe there are a pull down and rebuild set of instructions also available. One would have to think that lack of lubrication would hasten the end of the original equipment. Another suggestion to stop the rattle was to use a strip of foam on the front rubber to lift the glass a little. I haven't tried that but the guy who posted it claimed it fixed it. But again unable to verify if this is a temporary or long term fix.

I do believe there were some subtle changes in roof design from the very early models as well, to improve leading edge sealing etc.

One thing I like about the design is that there are no drain tubes to block :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Yeah, it does a pull down motion rather than a slide into for the main seal, I can tell when mine is working properly because when you go to open the roof makes a popping sound off the rear seal. When I first looked at mine it was evident that there had been some kind of lubricant from factory, but in our climate it had easily dried out during its life. I also noted that there was nothing noted about maintenance on the sun roof in the maintenance and service schedule. Well not that I could find anyway.

Where mine needs replacement bushes is in the rear hinge assembly. The wear there has caused the roof slide backwards before lifting, which results in the glass just clipping the rear (fixed) glass. I've heard they can get to the point where the roof won't open as they will jam against the rear glass (you could probably push the roof up manually at that point to free it).

I think the owners handbook talks about keeping the seals clean, no mention of lubricating slides (Suspect that this is a job for the garage rather than the owner!)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    Where mine needs replacement bushes is in the rear hinge assembly. The wear there has caused the roof slide backwards before lifting, which results in the glass just clipping the rear (fixed) glass. I've heard they can get to the point where the roof won't open as they will jam against the rear glass (you could probably push the roof up manually at that point to free it).

I think the owners handbook talks about keeping the seals clean, no mention of lubricating slides (Suspect that this is a job for the garage rather than the owner!)
    I have that exact issue now to the point where its started removing paint from the corner of the roof opening.
    Had me scratching my head for ages until now, might even be able to open it again soon

Thread Information