problems with MEGANE II X84 DYNAMIQUE ????
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon4 problems with MEGANE II X84 DYNAMIQUE ????

Hi every1 This is matthew from sydney and new to this forum

Found a used Renault from a car dealer and I don't know anything about Renault , got some questions to see if any one can give me some advice that would be very helpful for me to make the decision .

Advertisement

It is a 2004 RENAULT MEGANE II X84 DYNAMIQUE ( personally like the Hatchback version more than sedan )

-Its been 8 years and it has done 29,000 kms only, very low kms but for me it doesn't sound right , how do I know if they changed the odometer or a replaced engine ?

-What do I need to check before I buy it ?

Thanks for your time and wish to join Renault soon

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by matd View Post
    Hi every1 This is matthew from sydney and new to this forum

Found a used Renault from a car dealer and I don't know anything about Renault , got some questions to see if any one can give me some advice that would be very helpful for me to make the decision .

It is a 2004 RENAULT MEGANE II X84 DYNAMIQUE ( personally like the Hatchback version more than sedan )

-Its been 8 years and it has done 29,000 kms only, very low kms but for me it doesn't sound right , how do I know if they changed the odometer or a replaced engine ?

-What do I need to check before I buy it ?

Thanks for your time and wish to join Renault soon

Cheers
    It's probably original and just hasn't done many km. I bought my Citroen Xantia at 6 years old and 18,000 km.

Meganes go pretty well. You'll have whatever warranty applies in NSW.

For me, the issue would be where the nearest dealer is for you. There are many things with Renaults that are no different really from other modern cars, but if something fiddly goes wrong (modern cars are complex) I'd want a dealer or a good Renault-savvy mechanic not too far away. That would apply for any car I bought by the way, not just because it is a Renault.

No doubt others will reply with more knowledge than I have about this particular model.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

What do I need to check before I buy it ?
    Does the car have a service book or history? Initially check the service book, there is provision for the fitment of a replacement instrument cluster and its initial mileage when it was replaced to be noted in the book and stamped by the servicing dealer. The clusters have been known to be unreliable, so a number have been replaced.

If there are no books to verify the mileage (at which point I would likely walk way), quote the VIN number to a friendly Renault dealer and they should be able to provide he service and warranty history (noting any replacement instrument cluster) of the vehicle if it has been serviced by a Renault dealer.

Also don't forget to do the usual statutory register checks to verify the car is not under finance, a rebuilt writeoff etc, to make sure it hasn't been built from a number of different cars.

And after all that if you decide to buy, check if the cambelt has been changed (also through the service history). It is due for replacement every four years, regardless of mileage. So if it hasn't been changed, factor the replacement cost into the negotiations. The belt itself is unlikely to break, however the tensioner bearing pulleys are plastic and go brittle with time, and break, causing extensive engine damage. If the belt hasn't been changed, make sure the belt is changed prior to taking delivery as it will fail without notice causing extensive engine damage.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Agree with above comments,
    From my experience they are good honest reliable machines. Some of the interior finishes tend to wear a bit .
    Make sure servicing is all ok and should be good
    Rick
    Geelong Vic
    2012 Koleos Dynamique - Family Wagon

PAST:
    Clio RS172 .... Silver - Damn strong car !
    10 Fluence Privilege Sedan Black
    07 RS225 3 door - Monako Blue
    07 Megane Privilege Sedan Black
    Chevrolet Corvette- red of course
    Nissan Skyline GTS turbo - fantastic machine
    Alfa Romeo 33 Quattro Wagon -ebayed for profit!

It would be original mileage, especially if it's an auto. Many Meganes are bought by older people, as they fondly remember the service their Renaults gave them in the 1970s. It's not unusual to find lower than average mileage Meganes around the place.

There are three engines available in the base models, one diesel, and two petrols. Of the latter the 2 litre is a much better proposition than the 1600 (purely from a grunt point of view).

Make sure there are two keycards when you buy it.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    It would be original mileage, especially if it's an auto.

If you don't know the car, and haven't seen, touched or felt the car, that is a pretty bold statement to make!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Well, Simon, he is from Vodka Central, Russia which is almost like syaing, "He's from Barcelona", but we love him all the same!

Alastair

If you take a good look inside the cabin you may be able to tell if it has done more km. Look closely at the drivers seat, specially on the door side, to see how worn the upholstery looks. Look where the seat belt rubs, that will often give the most wear. Also look in the footwell at the pedals and carpet. Other obvious places are door handles and steering wheel. Also look at the driver, if he is under 30 the chances the deal is dodgy are higher, if his other car looks sporty etc. Ideally you should always buy a used car of a seller older than 40, whose other car is something very boring.
    Renault Megane sedan dCi 1.9 2007

David Brown 1973 885 synchromesh tractor.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1995

Honda sh150i scooter 2008

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

i recently bought a 407 with low milage. It should be easy enough to verify the milage. Even simples things ... eg: the tires are still the original so the sidewalls are quite age deteriated with cracks etc...

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    If you don't know the car, and haven't seen, touched or felt the car, that is a pretty bold statement to make!
    Why didn't you post the entire paragraph I wrote? Context, context, context...

But it's ok, I was (as we all are) just offering an opinion.

Cheers,

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

I recently bought an 07 Megane with 14,000 kms on it. Does happen!

Tadpole

Thanks John

Just found the nearest dealer is only 15kms away

but heard that change parts take long time as there are no many dealers in sydeny

Tadpole

I haven't seen the car yet , I am going to see it and check every things

thanks

Tadpole

it is 2.0L with 2 keys

does it matter if it has got one key only?

Tadpole

thanks for your advice.

but I wont see the owner , the car is from a used car dealer

Why didn't you post the entire paragraph I wrote? Context, context, context...

OK, we'll try it your way.

It would be original mileage, especially if it's an auto. Many Meganes are bought by older people, as they fondly remember the service their Renaults gave them in the 1970s. It's not unusual to find lower than average mileage Meganes around the place.
    Hmm, no still looks the same to me. "Would" in the above context implies you are certain that the mileage will be original. Hence me saying you were making a bold statement.

But it's ok, I was (as we all are) just offering an opinion.
    In your case it looked like one more of fact than opinion, but that is only my opinion too. :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

It is not unknown for the keycard to fail at some stage, so you are best having two that work as they are not cheap to buy. So make sure that both do work with the car.

If the car only has one that works, and otherwise checks out OK, it could be used as a bargaining point. As buying the extra keycard will be cheap insurance if the only one does fail, or accidently goes for a spin in the washing machine.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

It is not unknown for the keycard to fail at some stage, so you are best having two that work as they are not cheap to buy. So make sure that both do work with the car.

If the car only has one that works, and otherwise checks out OK, it could be used as a bargaining point. As buying the extra keycard will be cheap insurance if the only one does fail, or accidently goes for a spin in the washing machine.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    O
    In your case it looked like one more of fact than opinion, but that is only my opinion too. :-)

My opinion is stay away from car dealers unless you want to buy a new car.

Buy privately off an old timer from the upper north shore who has an immaculate garden and a lovely wife who makes you a cup of tea and some scones she baked that morning.

Jo

I recently purchased a 2005 Megane with around 50,000kms on it from used car dealer, everything checked out re service history (all dealer) and no cluster replacements. Got it for a great price, a lot of car for the money.

Thread Information