Renault Dauphin Gordini
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault Dauphin Gordini

My partner Mary, has taken a shine to this car >>> http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-1963-12805062, which is for sale in Adelaide. I wonder if any of our membership know this car or anything about it.

And......

Advertisement

What makes it a Gordini? What are they worth?

Love to hear your comments.

Cheers, Fred L.

That particular Dauphine G is the Mk 2 version introduced in 1961. The Australian cars were assembled by Martin & King at Broadmeadows in Victoria (upsetting Volkswagen management). The Mk 2 Dauphine G is basically the same as a the equivalent era Dauphine "Normale" with the same steering rack, (Aerostable) suspension, brakes (with limiter valve) and Type 318 (non-synchro 1st) 4 speed 'box (optional on the AUS spec Dauphine "Normale").

The principal difference is in the motor, it is the same Type 670-05 spec as the Floride. The motor had a specific Gordini cylinder head, based on the standard Dauphine with vertical valves and a steel rocker cover with a G pressing. Also the G motor had a different cam, carby and manifolds to allow it to put out 40bhp instead of 30bhp. The pistons and liners are the same as the Dauphine and R4 845cc. Other differences between the Normale and the Gordini were the addition of vented wheels, a towel rail under the spare wheel door, a fancy steering wheel, crackle black dashboard and extra trim.

The main claim to fame in Australia for the Dauphine Gordini is winning its class in the Armstrong 500 in 1961 and 1962.

That particular car has been advertised before, now it has better pictures and a cheaper price tag than when it first appeared. From the pics, the only things I can pick on are the wrong hubcaps, and that it has gold badges, where the dark bluey/green cars came with chrome badges. It even has nice original looking trim on the seats.

Price is best not discussed, as it is hard to ascertain the actual condition of the car in the pics. As always though, you would guess there may be some flex in advertised prices. And as the ad says the car has a stack of service history from new (gotta love cars with the original invoice and full history), it would be best contacting the owner to find out what work has been carried out on the car to make a proper assessment of its value to you.

Things that I found when looking at Dauphines ages ago (I've never seen the car in the advert) are worn king pins, rust in the floors, sills, chassis rails (a neat trick is where the chassis rail curves around the front of the rear wheel arch, obvious rust is seen in the arch which can be patched, but the chassis rail can also be holed, and any water just runs into the chassis rail, rusting it from the inside out), doors (so they basically rust anywhere), worn gearbox and just general wear and tear. I recall a punter who turned up to sell his Dauphine at an old RCCSA meeting ages ago; one of the good features he proclaimed was that all the rust had been cut out, and replaced with fibreglass.....
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Why did they put the vented wheels, I thought that came in when they went to disc brakes?
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by superfred View Post
    My partner Mary, has taken a shine to this car
    Fred, she is not the only one...
    My missus has also spotted this and is making noises...
    Please act and buy it for Mary as we have a storage problem already....

Carol lost 'her' Dauphine (a 'Normale' with transplanted Gordini bits) before we could take delivery from dad's place in Feb 2009. Not much was left after the fire swept through

The straight cut non-synchro first gear on the 4 speed Gordini box will always whine, but you only use it for the first 20 metres.

The car in question does look in quite nice condition. You couldn't buy a roughie for $500 and make a car this nice for another $7500. Whether there is a Renault person out there with $8000 for a Dauphine G is another question. You are unlikely to see another one out for a drive on a Sunday, and most parts are available from Europe for reasonable prices. Like most old Renaults though, the market is indeed limited.

There is a nice looking Caravelle in Brisbane for sale for $8000 that might appeal more to the general enthusiast out there.
    Last edited by alan moore; 7th September 2012 at 09:34 AM.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Fellow Frogger!

This car is sold! Mary bought it. We are off from Ballarat to Adelaide with a ute and car trailer this afternoon to collect it.

This car is sold! Mary bought it. We are off from Ballarat to Adelaide with a ute and car trailer this afternoon to collect it.
    Noooooooooo you can't have it

But seriously, congratulations, I think you've scored a little gem and i'm sure it will be enjoyed immensley
    cheers,

John

\
    Well done! You will have to see if the original Vic number plate can be re-issued to the car.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Congratulations on the Dauf....I want one eventually when space permits.

Have fun.

Thread Information