R8/R10 Gearbox mountings modifications.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frans

Thread: R8/R10 Gearbox mountings modifications.

Default R8/R10 Gearbox mountings modifications.

As all owners of R8/R10 Renaults know, the gearbox mountings have always been a weak spot. I don't know if the designers had a different view point but all the mountings carrying the engine and transmission has to do it under a shearing strain. Almost all the other makes of cars this is a compression strain.

Advertisement

I got a warning with my previous WOF that the gearbox mountings have to be replaced. So I thought about it and decided to make a change, and hopefully an improvement because it will only be a short while and the gearbox will have sagged again and in the process pull the side mountings open. Remember the side mountings are there for the sideways thrust when cornering and not for carrying weight.

I took the g/box bracket and filed the centre hole slightly bigger to accept a piece of 3/4" waterpipe. I then welded it in position and bought Nolathane bushes, part number K27156, cut them a little shorter and pressed them into the pipe. Then I used a piece of pipe that fits tight inside and pressed that in as well. This is costing me around $15.00 and I think if that bushes are strong enough to carry part of a car they might just be strong enough to carry the gearbox without sagging.

I will install it this week and give some feedback to how it is working.

Regards,
    Frans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8/R10 Gearbox mountings modifications.-img_0289.jpg   R8/R10 Gearbox mountings modifications.-img_0290.jpg   R8/R10 Gearbox mountings modifications.-img_0291.jpg   R8/R10 Gearbox mountings modifications.-img_0297.jpg   R8/R10 Gearbox mountings modifications.-img_0298.jpg  
    J-man likes this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

COL

Good work Frans, will be interesting to see how the bushes go.

Do you have any pics of the mounts installed in the car?
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

No COL it is not installed yet or do you want to see what the originals in the car looks like?

Frans

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    No COL it is not installed yet or do you want to see what the originals in the car looks like?

Frans
    I was interested in what your modified mounts look like once they are installed, I will just have to be a little more patient
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

Icon9

Hi,
    When these cars were current the French were leading the way in regards to suspension compliance and tuning out the harshness of the "new radial tires". The rear engine/gearbox unit was flexibly mounted and absorbed the forces by flexing for/aft. The world was astonished at the overall combination of ride/handling/quietness achieved by a budget car.
    Now although these were the days when cars were built to last, I doubt they expected they would last this long. So perhaps you may need to compromise and do it differently today. However I think you may loose some of the sophistiction of the design. It will probably be harsh and noisy. Your choice. I know fitting compensator springs had the effect of greatly increasing the transmitted road noise.
    Cheers Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    However I think you may loose some of the sophistiction of the design. It will probably be harsh and noisy. Your choice.
    One other thing to note is that the current aftermarket mounts appear to have a much softer rubber compound than the Pieces d'origine Renault mounts. I would say the aftermarket type probably use a generic type rubber compound rather than the original Renault spec. I've also noted the original Renault mounts tend to perish from old age rather than the aftermarket type where the rubber ends up separating from the metal plate as mentioned by Frans. So the modification may end up providing closer-to-original compliance without going to the severity of the Group 2 type mounts.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Re-designed gearbox mounts

I agree with Frans. I have done a number of mods on this system, and finally the one which seemed to work the best, keep the noise down, and last the longest, was :

A similar centre mount above the g/box, but with slightly larger top hat bushes, out of PU. And side mounts made from Audi front suspension bushes in PU. The Audi bush had a outer ring, and an inner tube with a large flange on one side. The inner tube mounted to a similar flange to the existing side mount onto the g/box diff flange. And the outer ring pressed into a collar in a bracket that mounted to the cross member. When the lot was bolted up there were no inbuilt tensions, except for the load of the car on them. They insulated very well and I felt kept the gearbox better located on the cross member. I used similar system for the engine mounts at the rear, but only had a years use on them, when the car was sold.

I do still use standard mounts on customers projects, unless they ask for different, and can pay the time to make the new system.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Hi Ray
    Any pics of your version of this modification?

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Re-designed gearbox mounts

I agree with Frans. I have done a number of mods on this system, and finally the one which seemed to work the best, keep the noise down, and last the longest, was :

A similar centre mount above the g/box, but with slightly larger top hat bushes, out of PU. And side mounts made from Audi front suspension bushes in PU. The Audi bush had a outer ring, and an inner tube with a large flange on one side. The inner tube mounted to a similar flange to the existing side mount onto the g/box diff flange. And the outer ring pressed into a collar in a bracket that mounted to the cross member. When the lot was bolted up there were no inbuilt tensions, except for the load of the car on them. They insulated very well and I felt kept the gearbox better located on the cross member. I used similar system for the engine mounts at the rear, but only had a years use on them, when the car was sold.

I do still use standard mounts on customers projects, unless they ask for different, and can pay the time to make the new system.

Ray

Hi R8 Dream,
    Unfortunately no pictures. They were done before digital and phone cameras, so a quick picture while making was not easy.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

I started stripping the various parts last night in preparation to remove and replace the newly designed mounting. The actual "carrying" mounting pair, that is the pair on top, had the one completely broken. The metal part seperated from the rubber leaving all the work to the other one which has sagged double the amount it should. I think this is where the loud bang comes from if I go over a joint in the road such as the joints on a bridge. In this sagging process the side mounts are halfway torn off from their metal mounting plates as well.

I am having trouble removing the bracket from the top of the gearbox because I am only lowering the rear of the gearbox. There is n't much space between the box and crossmember and the 4 nuts have a locking tab on them. I have managed to open 2 of these tabs and I'll have to do some serious imagineering tonight to remove the other 2.

Frans

The new mounting is in and I took the car out for a test run. I am very pleased because it is so much quieter inside and going over the joints in bridges now is dead quiet. No more a loud knock. I think the fact that the mounting is giving in gradually one doesn't notice these changes and you become used to it.

How long it is going to last is something we will need to see. For a mere $15.00 it is a bargain.

Col, I tried to get a picture but it is so hidden away that it was useless. If it will help, Imagine the mounting as in picture 4 & 5 sliding up into a channel with a bolt through the channel and through the mounting. The total length of the mounting from the rubber shoulder to rubber shoulder is 44 mm. The inside width of the channel is 43 mm as. It took a bit of force with the hydraulic jack to get it into the channel and then all I needed to do was to locate the two holes and push the bolt through.

Regards
    Frans.

COL

Hi Frans

Glad the mount worked out fine.

Yer its hard to get a camera up into that part of the car.

Lets us know how the mount goes when you have a a few thousand kays on it.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Thread Information