Heavy Duty Clutch options for Fuego?
  • Register
  • Help
    Administrator

Default Heavy Duty Clutch options for Fuego?

Anyone had a heavy duty clutch made up for a Fuego or fitted an off the shelf Exedy Heavy Duty clutch?

Advertisement

I'm hoping it all holds up as I think I am pretty sympathetic to clutches but I'm not particularly optimistic that it will hold up long term with what will may end up being a 100% power increase...

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

First obvious choice is put a "good one" in, ie a Valeo.

Second is find out what the R21 Turbo boys in the UK use - sure there are plenty of high performance options around for those that may fit (engine/flywheel the same, not so sure about the input shaft splines).

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    First obvious choice is put a "good one" in, ie a Valeo.

Second is find out what the R21 Turbo boys in the UK use - sure there are plenty of high performance options around for those that may fit (engine/flywheel the same, not so sure about the input shaft splines).
    I don't think they are the same. That would be too easy

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    I don't think they are the same. That would be too easy
    Indeed... "standard" NG3 clutch plate and high performance UN1 pressure plate?

Administrator

Indeed... "standard" NG3 clutch plate and high performance UN1 pressure plate?
    Maybe I'm wrong and an R21T clutch will bolt up. I was always under the impression a UN1 had a different input shaft?

Helix Clutch info

21 2.0ltr Turbo
    Application Type Cover Plate Bearing Spline
    Road N 235 60-4695 70-4696 40-4330 24 x 21T

Exedy Clutch info

Fuego 2.0 J6R
    Application Type Cover Plate Bearing Spline
    Road 215 24 x 21

Dunno about the input shaft splines, but you can get "performance" clutches for Fuegos

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...sub_category=1

Administrator

Dunno about the input shaft splines, but you can get "performance" clutches for Fuegos

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...sub_category=1
    Hmmmm. Thanks for that.

I wonder whether the Diesel model would have more clamp pressure (higher torque at low revs?)

Exactly how much extra power are we talk ing here..? Chuck a standard in and see how long it lasts first maybe?

Administrator

Exactly how much extra power are we talk ing here..? Chuck a standard in and see how long it lasts first maybe?
    cough 200 cough...

It has a good standard clutch ATM. It may even be the original as the car had only done 120K when I got it (it lasted 300+K in my old Fuego)?

I reckon a good standard would do long enough. You're mechanically sympathetic and I reckon you'll be breaking NG3 spider gears if you hammer it that hard.

They're cheap enough from Ken, see how it goes before deciding teh expensive option is needed...?

Was looking into clutches a while back for my 12 Valve into Fuego project that is nearing completion.......found out the 21T's have a bigger diamater and dont fit. Unless you could get your hands on a 21T flywheel? Found out the 12 valve came out with a slightly uprated clutch as pictured. 4 double springs on the clutch plate instead of Fuego's 6 singles. Ordered one from the UK for a 12 valve and ended up getting the same 6 spring as fuego. Have just put it in for now to suck it and see.......

Heavy Duty Clutch options for Fuego?-p1060699.jpg

I'm sure someone local could help up-spec the pressure plate if they are not up to the task. Mine's all bolted in now and part of 500 possible fail points since I have modified/rebuilt/re-wired EVERYTHING from scratch!!!!!

BTW Mistareno......you are turboing?? I am holding on to a high quality 21T Head Gasket in case I need to de-compress my motor....was too thick for my build but if you are interested let me know.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

when a mere lad, I fitted an uprated pressure plate, as you did way back when as part of the big bores lumpy camshaft etc etc....

and promptly bent the release fork... Not a froggie but no doubt the same Murphy truths apply.

cheers,
    Bob

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 12vFuego View Post
    BTW Mistareno......you are turboing?? I am holding on to a high quality 21T Head Gasket in case I need to de-compress my motor....was too thick for my build but if you are interested let me know.
    Yes, definitely interested as I was going to have to chase up one eventually from the UK.

Where did you source it from and what are you after for it?

Yes, definitely interested as I was going to have to chase up one eventually from the UK.

Where did you source it from and what are you after for it?
    One of the main guys on the 21toc UK forum helped me out a lot trying to get parts for my 12 Valve....ended up not being able to use quite a few things.....

Looks like I paid 65 pounds for the HG. Thought it was more actually. Pretty serious looking gasket with all bolt holes etc metal reinforced. From memory I think it was about 1.7mm thick but can check tomorrow if needed. PM me if you need it.

Heavy Duty Clutch options for Fuego?-64df7008%5B1%5D.jpg

Administrator

One of the main guys on the 21toc UK forum helped me out a lot trying to get parts for my 12 Valve....ended up not being able to use quite a few things.....

Looks like I paid 65 pounds for the HG. Thought it was more actually. Pretty serious looking gasket with all bolt holes etc metal reinforced. From memory I think it was about 1.7mm thick but can check tomorrow if needed. PM me if you need it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64df7008[1].jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	33643
    1.7mm might be handy for my application actually as I am running a 9.9 C/R engine. Even turboed, it should still be ok as it is on LPG but the thicker gasket would give me some head space.

1.7mm might be handy for my application actually as I am running a 9.9 C/R engine. Even turboed, it should still be ok as it is on LPG but the thicker gasket would give me some head space.
    Yeah I'm not up on my LPG Turboing or what boost/comp you can run......sounds very interesting. At what point will the LPG be added? Are you injecting as liquid or gas??

Have to do the calcs but I'd expect this HG would get you to the mid 9's......

Administrator

Yeah I'm not up on my LPG Turboing or what boost/comp you can run......sounds very interesting. At what point will the LPG be added? Are you injecting as liquid or gas??

Have to do the calcs but I'd expect this HG would get you to the mid 9's......
    It's been on straight LPG for a few years with a Gas Research Throttle Body. They are used on a few High Power VL Commodores in a blow through configuration with a lot of success.

It was always the plan to have it turbocharged, just took a while to get around to it.

I'll start a thread when the exhaust is fitted and it's running.

So where are you up to on the clutch options?

Administrator

So where are you up to on the clutch options?
    It has a good standard clutch in it. I'll see how that goes and if/when it struggles I might fit an Exedy heavy duty one.

I have changed the pivot bushes to a bronze impregnated sintered bush (or something like that) and the pedal is very smooth an light atm.

If it stays that way (after the 'gloss' of greasing everything has worn off) I'll assess whether the standard setup (with the better bushes) can handle a heavy pressure plate (which is what the Exedy is)

I guess I will also see how the std item goes first and then deal with it if necessary. Is the Exedy a locally available item?

I have fitted the hydraulic clutch set-up from the 25 to mine as I am running a UN1. Hope It all works and doesn't have to come out again in a hurry!

Administrator

I guess I will also see how the std item goes first and then deal with it if necessary. Is the Exedy a locally available item?

I have fitted the hydraulic clutch set-up from the 25 to mine as I am running a UN1. Hope It all works and doesn't have to come out again in a hurry!
    Yeah. the Exedy is available locally.

Did you fit the clutch master internally or externally?

What driveshafts are you using with the UN1 (or did you manage to widen the track a bit and use the standard ones?

Extended and modified my standard pedal estensively to run pushrod to Master on firewall (very tight fit alongside booster) with remote resevoir. Got all components fully resleeved/rebuilt so hopefully they won't need attention for quite some time.

Playing around I discovered that you can put the R25 Inner joints (gearbox end) on a Fuego shaft and you end up with the perfect length shaft. Fuego too short, R25 too long and thick diamater of shaft gives clearance issues with body at droop. But the combo above is perfect and clearances like shaft travel seem pretty close to spot on. Yet to be driven and tested though

1000+ Posts

Scratching through my old records here I found a reference that I purchased Clutch components mid 2000 from a Grant Vincent for $187 Clutch plate PBR #RW8634 W and exchange assembly #X850 -573 with SACHS thrust bearing # 3151 846 001, this was apparently an Australian built up heavy duty clutch, and I put it into Di's car that is now in Launceston, clutch is still going...

In those days Grant Vincent operated out of 15 Macquarie Drive Thomastown,(RPM/PBR Clutch) phone # was 9463 2200 Grant had taken over from Ratz Clutch that was previously owned by Phillip Handcock - Dianne was a friend of Peter Handcock Phillip's son, both having worked on the Ivanhoe Rovers Mudbash car and she had previously had a RATZ heavy duty clutch put in her then daily user Fuego (soon to be scrapped)

Don't know if Grant Vincent is still involved in the brake and clutch business - probably gone years ago, but you never know!!

Ken

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Scratching through my old records here I found a reference that I purchased Clutch components mid 2000 from a Grant Vincent for $187 Clutch plate PBR #RW8634 W and exchange assembly #X850 -573 with SACHS thrust bearing # 3151 846 001, this was apparently an Australian built up heavy duty clutch, and I put it into Di's car that is now in Launceston, clutch is still going...

In those days Grant Vincent operated out of 15 Macquarie Drive Thomastown,(RPM/PBR Clutch) phone # was 9463 2200 Grant had taken over from Ratz Clutch that was previously owned by Phillip Handcock - Dianne was a friend of Peter Handcock Phillip's son, both having worked on the Ivanhoe Rovers Mudbash car and she had previously had a RATZ heavy duty clutch put in her then daily user Fuego (soon to be scrapped)

Don't know if Grant Vincent is still involved in the brake and clutch business - probably gone years ago, but you never know!!

Ken
    There is still a clutch place at that address so I'll give em a call. Thanks Kennel

Administrator

Extended and modified my standard pedal estensively to run pushrod to Master on firewall (very tight fit alongside booster) with remote resevoir. Got all components fully resleeved/rebuilt so hopefully they won't need attention for quite some time.

Playing around I discovered that you can put the R25 Inner joints (gearbox end) on a Fuego shaft and you end up with the perfect length shaft. Fuego too short, R25 too long and thick diamater of shaft gives clearance issues with body at droop. But the combo above is perfect and clearances like shaft travel seem pretty close to spot on. Yet to be driven and tested though
    I looked into both options and was leaning towards an internal master (through laziness /ease )but the clutch feels so good atm i might put it on the back burner.

Thread Information