Renault 25 on eBay
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Renault 25 on eBay

Any thoughts on the 25 on eBay? Currently at $265 with NSW rego just expired. Thinking of an alternative to running the Scenic to the station every day.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Renault-R...1#ht_500wt_922

Advertisement
    Last edited by Phil the Greek; 17th August 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: misread the auction end date...one red wine too many

Quote Originally Posted by Phil the Greek View Post
    Currently at $265 with NSW rego just expired.
    At that price, the tear-up won't look so bad when you find out it'll cost a fortune to get it roadworthy, and Pick-A-Part will only give you $100 for it.......

Also, it'll probably leave a bit of spare change to catch a reliable bus to get to the station when it conks out from a dodgy fuel gauge or some other electronic mishap.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Manual? Wow!
    ' didn't think they sold a manual 25 in Aus. Or was that the series 2?

If it's only just out of rego then it should be a good thing.
    Consumables for 21s and 25s like plugs, belts, brake pads, etc. aren't hard to get at all.

No, I'll be good.

I already have one that has sentimental value and should be restored.

So - this one is also one of the very rare late model unleaded cars. Much better unleaded engine (with the better and simpler Renix injection as opposed to the complex earlier cars with all the anti pollution stuff) and the cable clutch NG series manual gearbox (like a Fuego or R21 - not the legendary UN1 gearbox).

Its sad I can tell all this by what sort of bump guards it has on the doors...

This is a very good car that in the right DIY hands will be good thing. Just go into it eyes open on a few fronts - such as get good at wielding a soldering iron (the electrics are fine once a few dry solders are dealt with) and be aware its from a time when things were not built with safety in mind as much...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pes9DJc4cCw

Still a great car though...
    Last edited by Haakon; 17th August 2012 at 10:47 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    ...and the cable clutch NG series manual gearbox (like a Fuego or R21 - not the legendary UN1 gearbox)
    Don't suppose you know what ratios it has compared to a Fuego?

Not really... About the same though roughly - bigger wheel on an R25, but more relaxed revs.

Totally different clutch arrangement though.

Default Renault 25 on eBay

Haakon, thanks for the info. It looks kinda nice on the photos. But it is Friday night after a long week and a few glasses of vin not so ordinaire.Will sleep on it, but much appreciate your obvious intimate knowledge of the model. Cheers, Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil the Greek View Post
    Any thoughts on the 25 on eBay? Currently at $265 with NSW rego just expired. Thinking of an alternative to running the Scenic to the station every day.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Renault-R...1#ht_500wt_922
    I've got a wreck I'd love to shed some parts from.... You'll need it!!!

Jo

heh, me too, but I had to wreck mine with most things still in-tact minus the gearbox

I still have some parts, but I'm in VIC..
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Funny, the seller mentions the trouble with the radio, my old man had trouble with his and it took the local Volvo dealer a couple of months (and several trips back and forth) to fix.
    The problem with the R25 is you just can't go to JB HiFi and get a replacement to slot in, because the system is intergrated into the dash and center consule.
    You could always put the replacement in the glovebox I suppose!
    My old man had 2 R25s at one stage, a Silver Auto and then when a White Manual came on the market, he just had to have it!
    They were comfortable cars and great for long distance travel, but yes, the electronics were troublesome at times.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

I had an aftermarket CD player in mine, but went back to the original with an ipod adaptor. It was a really nice sounding system, good speakers and a nice amp. Very very good for its day indeed.

All my spare OE R25 speakers went into the R21 as they're so much better.

No one uses tapes anymore anyway...

Tadpole

Default R25 stereo

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    No one uses tapes anymore anyway...
    Except for me!!!!

John E

Quote Originally Posted by reno1151 View Post
    Except for me!!!!

John E
    Well, I suppose if one is going to go the whole retro 80s thing, may as well do it properly!!

I just hope its Duran Duran and you have a perm

Hi,

these stereos show up from time to time. I didn't know you can add an aux jack to the Phase 1 Radios...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/RENAULT-Stere...item4abae3eb2f

daniel

There is something very attractive about tactile analogue EQ, especially when driving.

I love the simple eq found on home combo amps like Luxmans, where just two knobs, high and low freq can effect any change needed for an already mastered track.
    Parametrics are great for audio surgery in a studio situation but have no place in a car replacing tactile knobs

Whoever decided that software based EQ was a good idea in a car should be shot.

I tried to help a mate set up his sony head unit.
    I have no trouble running a Digital audio workstation or an analoug studio with the pressure of live muso's in the studio's but I failed to navigate the EQ of his device.
    It was therefore a POS in my opinion, and I gave up.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel R25 View Post
    Hi,

these stereos show up from time to time. I didn't know you can add an aux jack to the Phase 1 Radios...

daniel
    I don't think you can either. I have used a FM transmitter and a cassette adapter to allow for CD/MP3 playback. Would seem a shame to remove that head unit which looks so 80's and cool in the R25 :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Wow looks just like the first regestered car I owned! Same colour same gearbox same year, only difference, mine had stuffed leather!!!
    It was a really really nice thing to cruise in. Ample power good economy, and no working fuel guage!

Should be a good car! Go for it!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    I don't think you can either.
    I'm sure you could make an AUX in taking the unit apart, and finding it's line levels... Probably at the EQ end. I'd considered the same but ended up using an FM transmitter myself, as the tape adapters often deliver poor sound at best imo.

Obviously an FM transmitter also doesn't give you the full dynamics, ideally I'd also try and hack an AUX in.

David.