Fuego Gauge Pod
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Fuego Gauge Pod

Administrator

Default Fuego Gauge Pod

G'day,

I've had my 3 year old princess home sick with me all week so have been unable to get into the garage much so I decided to try and sort out where the hell I would put the new lights and bells.

I have to fit 2 52mm gauges (boost controller/gauge and a wideband 02 gauge) a few switches (intercooler water spray, thermo fan overide etc) and some lights (low water level indicator, fan light, shift light etc)

In my old Fuego I had them mounted on the pillar, rice style, but I wanted something a little more discreet on this one.

I grabbed a few trashed Fuego instrument binnacles and decided to hack them apart.

The idea was to hang an instrument pod off the side of the original housing and keep it looking as OE as possible.

I managed to cut out the shape I needed with a jigsaw and then by luck found some vinyl at the local trimmer that was as close to the original dashboard grain as I imagine is possible.

I covered the pod and it looks ok so far.

Advertisement

I'll mount the pod directly to the main binnacle with some steel brackets as I have a perfect spare if it all goes wrong. I'll cut a hole in the side for all the wiring.

I was thinking of sticking some black contact on the dash (underneath the gauge pod) to stop the binnacle leaving abrasion marks on the dashboard should it vibrate and some foam draught stop or similar under the pod to

Now I've got to work out how to put the gauges in...

looks good!!

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Now I've got to work out how to put the gauges in...
    Without trashing the dash or leaving nasy reflections on the screen at night.

Maybe, and this is a big maybe.....a polarising filter on the guage would stop reflections on the screen.

Either that or cut a massive hole in the dash and backset them so the peak of the cover stops them reflecting.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    looks good!!

Without trashing the dash or leaving nasy reflections on the screen at night.

Maybe, and this is a big maybe.....a polarising filter on the guage would stop reflections on the screen.

Either that or cut a massive hole in the dash and backset them so the peak of the cover stops them reflecting.
    There's quite a bit of space in there to play with so I hope it fits...

I will try and mount the gauges towards the top of the pod and parallel to the top of the gauge pod so the clear the dash. The gauges should be set back about 1 cm behind the top lip (which is already on an angle) so reflection shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The O2 gauge and the boost contoller/gauge are pretty good quality and are both digital/analogue gauges with light sensors built in so hopefully they should be viewable even in fairly bright conditions...

I'll post some photos when it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    .... with light sensors built in so hopefully they should be viewable even in fairly bright conditions...

I'll post some photos when it's done.
    I had to put tint on one of mine as even on dim setting it was like a welding rod.

Jo

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I had to put tint on one of mine as even on dim setting it was like a welding rod.

Jo
    You can manually adjust the limits on these gauges, you may be able to on yours too?

Nope. Ironicly you can adjust everything else, the range, alarm, metric imperial but not the brightness.

A mate drove past me the other night and suggested I get tinted windows and a privacy screen for the computer display. He reckons it all sticks out like the proverbial....

Jo

Clever bastard! Looks great.
    I hope your little Munchkin is OK.
    My two blokes are 20 and 14. 3 is a long time ago for me! I reckon around the 2 to 8 years is just marvellous. Lucky you, even if she was ill. And you still managed some clear thinking and got a result you wanted. Well done to you, fella!

Administrator

Okay, had a rethink on the gauge front. I liked the idea, but it only allowed 2 gauges.

I tried fitting three across the top of the steering column and it worked quite well, but it looked a little agricultural.

I decided to stop doing things by halves and rip out the fibreglass.

Still a lot of tidying up to do, and I am waiting on the extra gauge hoods so I can fibreglass and cover the front panel, but this is what I am doing.

Fuego Gauge Pod-dscn1699.jpgFuego Gauge Pod-dscn1702.jpg

I have used the gauge hoods to recess the gauges into the panel. This also allowed me to mount the gauges on an angle up (to compensate for the angle of the binnacle when installed) and to the right so they face the driver. It should also reduce any reflections.

There is plenty of space for 4 gauges and the wiring can all go through the gap that the switch wiring goes through.

It doesn't involve any extra holes in the dash, and I will lay down a piece of residue free vinyl underneath the whole lot to ensure it doesn't leave any abrasion marks on the original dashboard vinyl should I decide to refit the original binnacle.

I will probably trim it in black suede with a red double stitch along the front edge, as that is the colour/material scheme that I will trim the car in eventually. If that looks naff I can get a black vinyl in an identical grain and gloss to the dash.

When/if I get around to installing an ecu for the ignition, I might use only the three switch spots on the right of the binnacle (consolidate one switch and combine the front and rear fog light switches) and remove the three switches on the left and fit an 8 inch LCD where the gauges are so I can use a virtual display for infinite gauges.

Thread Information