Problem with Megane 05 key
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Problem with Megane 05 key

I've just bought an 05 Megane Estival, and love it. One problem - the spare key locks and unlocks the car but wont start the engine. When I insert it the ECU simply doesn't recognise it. Anyone have any idea what the problem is, or how it can be fixed?

Advertisement

Sounds like the chip in the key needs to be programmed to the car - great security but costs a bit to achieve.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Tadpole

Default Megane Key

Thanks - I thought that might be it. Given it's second hand, any idea who I should go to to have it reprogrammed?

From a UK Renault site:

I thought as I was going to have to buy a new card anyway I might aswell have a look inside the card that I did have, after carefully opening the card up I could clearly see the fault, well it fell out or the card in front of my eyes haha
    There is a small coil of wire inside the key card which the card reader on the car 'sees', there are 3 legs on it which are soldered to the pcb, all 3 had broken off!!
    I soldered the coil back into place, tried the card in the car an hay presto it works like a dream!!

I would imagine that 90% or these faults are the same problem, if not all of them

Both the keycards and the card reader are fairly poorly made.For instance the metal guide clips on the reader are held in place with two blobs of of plastic so are suspect to failure.If your card fits fairly loosely in the slot one of the clips has probably come off.The reader takes only about ten minutes to strip out of the console,remove radio dash tray pull off bottom cover to diagonistic plug,remove four screws pull off front panel pull out connector to card reader (take care these are locked in place with a plastic clip use a watch makers screwdriver to release.A quick fix is to cut an old credit card down one side so it slides into the tray notch it so it slides about 20mm out of the back bend it 90 degrees and gaffer tape in place at the back edge only.Check the front is trimmed level.The credit card in effect will push the keycard up to the roof of the reader.Refit job done.
    If the key card only works intermittently as explained earlier then it will need cutting open and parts soldering back onto the circuit board,take your time cut down the seam of the card but leave the back edge intact,once both sides and the front are detached,gaffer tape the front edge of the bottom part of the card to your work table.Use a hair dryer on the top to start to soften the plastic and gently peel back,this gives you room to solder the coil back onto the circuit board.Repeat process with hair dryer to soften and reshape the top back as it should be super glue edges back down,clean up and you have your fix.

Might be worth a try.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Seems odd that the spare key unlocks/locks the car, but just won't start it - you wouldn't think it would work at all if it wasn't programmed correctly...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Tadpole

Default Megane key

Cheers Dave - it does actually sit really loosely in the slot, so that could well explain why it opens the car but then isn't recognised. the self-fixit is a bit beyond me but luckily my brother-in-law is EXTREMELY handy - that sounds like just the sort of job he'd enjoy. Thanks again - I'll give that a go.

Thread Information