2003 Laguna V6 Auto...
  • Register
  • Help

Default 2003 Laguna V6 Auto...

There's an '03 Laguna V6 wagon on eBay at the moment with a clagged transmission that sounds and appears in good nick. Would I be right in assuming it has the dreaded AL4 box in it? Bob

Advertisement

Not sure if it is AL4 (I think so). If it is the blue one at Newington, I had a green one almost identical (mine had the Silverstone mags) and the reconditioned transmission I had put in mine (due to solenoid issues) cost $8k.

for $2k upfront, that still could be worth it, but you might search some of my posts and see what else happened with mine. The spendin' don't stop when the Laguna comes onto the scene.
    KB

Grays online have a Priviledge LX hatch that doesn't seem to have a dodgy transmission at $1400 at the moment, in Victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by dunky View Post
    There's an '03 Laguna V6 wagon on eBay at the moment with a clagged transmission that sounds and appears in good nick. Would I be right in assuming it has the dreaded AL4 box in it? Bob
    V6 has the 4HP20 transmission from my understanding, assuming it is the Renault badged version of the PSA 60 V6.

A well-documented gearbox for skilled amateur overhaul, the greatest single expense being a rebuilt converter from the UK. See Jim Eastment's pages for a summary of stripdown and faults.

4 cylinder expression laguna 2 is the DPO/AL4 transmission.

All the V6 have a 5 speed Aisen Warner transmission, common to a raft of GM, Toyota, PSA and Ford products (including Volvo and Saab in that list).

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    V6 has the 4HP20 transmission from my understanding, assuming it is the Renault badged version of the PSA 60 V6.

A well-documented gearbox for skilled amateur overhaul, the greatest single expense being a rebuilt converter from the UK. See Jim Eastment's pages for a summary of stripdown and faults.
    Do you mean the torque converter? I have had one redone in melbourne for $160.- 4 or 5 years ago but it was for a R19.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Not sure if it is AL4 (I think so). If it is the blue one at Newington, I had a green one almost identical (mine had the Silverstone mags) and the reconditioned transmission I had put in mine (due to solenoid issues) cost $8k.

for $2k upfront, that still could be worth it, but you might search some of my posts and see what else happened with mine. The spendin' don't stop when the Laguna comes onto the scene.
    It is indeed this one and with the same problem as your former car. After searching back through the posts regarding V6 Lagunas, I think I will give this a miss. Such a shame......they are a nice looking and well appointed vehicle.

Thread Information