Cartwright Renault dead
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Cartwright Renault dead

Just confirmed with Renault Aust - they're in adminstration. And now I have to give ASIC $9 to find out who the administrator is, so I can be told they wont be honouring warranties no doubt...

Advertisement

Now lets see how serious Renault are about keeping their brand image up - its out of warranty on time, but has manufacturing faults I need fixed at the ripe old age of 16,000km...

Any tips on "goodwill" warranty claims with Renault Aust...?
    Last edited by Haakon; 13th August 2012 at 03:50 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Just confirmed with Renault Aust - they're in receivership.

Now lets see how serious Renault are about keeping their brand image up - its out of warranty on time, but has manufacturing faults I need fixed at the ripe old age of 16,000km...

Any tips on "goodwill" warranty claims with Renault Aust...?
    If you were the original purchaser, I reckon you'd have better luck.

What sort of faults are we talking here?

I might have caught one with an out of tolerance rear beam...

Software updates not applied. dead demister. A few niggles that should have been caught when it was "new"...

Just confirmed with Renault Aust - they're in receivership.
    You didn't discuss their goodwill policy whilst you were communicating with them?
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thats how I found out it existed, but thats all I got. Talk to another dealer was all I was told and you "might" get something.

After more practical advice. Be nice and dont be a dick about it is the basic approach I'll apply, hoping to get it returned...

Fellow Frogger!

Well, now we have lost what used to be a preferred and by reputation competent Renault dealer in South East Queensland. First there were five, now there are three. Where is all this going I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Well, now we have lost what used to be a preferred and by reputation competent Renault dealer in South East Queensland. First there were five, now there are three. Where is all this going I wonder?
    Unfortunately this is a sign of the times. Business can't stay in business without customers. At the moment people are not buying cars unless they are cheap, real cheap. Another reason for the the 0% interest loans at the moment, an attempt to get people to spend. This is a world wide trend.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

I think in this case (as in Rick Damelians' and probably a number of similar dealers - not necessarily just renault dealers) they are living beyond their means on credit.

I personally think too many dealers try to maintain too many franchises at the one time too, and don't necessarily do justice to all of them.

I don't know in this case if Cartwrights were solely Renault or not - I suspect not.
    KB

The Renault agent is also caught, they ordered parts in for the "approved warranty claim" that they wont be paid for now either.

They're going to write to Renault (plus they have seen the car and know its "as new") to try to get it covered.

But also needed the cruise software looked into, a weak demister sorted and the weird alignment/pull issue that might be in the steering software checked out/reset.

Better order myself a CLIP tonight, wasn't expecting to need it quite so soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Unfortunately this is a sign of the times. Business can't stay in business without customers. At the moment people are not buying cars unless they are cheap, real cheap. Another reason for the the 0% interest loans at the moment, an attempt to get people to spend. This is a world wide trend.
    This dealer also took on Citroen and Chery recently. Also Isuzu trucks.
    I went there last year (previous Renault posts of mine will tell the story if anybody wants to look them up) and their attitude was apalling.
    Their service dept consisted of one man and an apprentice who admitted they knew nothing at all about Citroens, and couldn't quote definate service prices for any car.
    We had an as new '06 Citroen C5 to trade, and they refused to give me a price on a new C5 PLUS a new Renault Megane hatch. I told them what Brisbane Citroen quoted on a new C5, but Said they couldnt work anything out and to sell the Citroen on carsales and come back with the cash. ON 2 NEW CARS! Wife and I went to Peugeot and bought two cars, 3008 and 308 the same day. They deserve to go broke in my opinion, but that;s just my experience. Others probably had good service, don't want any arguments, just telling my story.
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I think in this case (as in Rick Damelians' and probably a number of similar dealers - not necessarily just renault dealers) they are living beyond their means on credit.

I personally think too many dealers try to maintain too many franchises at the one time too, and don't necessarily do justice to all of them.

I don't know in this case if Cartwrights were solely Renault or not - I suspect not.
    The local Peugeot dealer has a couple of SUV's with NSW rego, ex Rick. All of this in Deepest Darkest Dandenong! Just wish I had the readies for a new motor, it's a buyers market.

Brendan

I'm wondering now how much less they would have taken for the Megane!! It was obviously a good enough price to fly to the bloody Gold Coast and drive it back, but it wasnt a "must sell, imminent liquidation" price.

Oh well, one never knows what you don't know - hopefully the lost warranty will be little more than an annoyance.

Write Renault a nice letter - you might be surprised at the result. I was!

The local rumour was that Cartwrights were selling plenty of cars - so it must have been something else.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Bloody cars...

Am buying a CLIP diagnostic, Canberra froggers will be welcome to borrow it.

Haakon,

If the car was covered by an "after market" warranty policy, it would have been underwritten by an insurance company. Ring them up (the name will be in the documentation you got with the car) and ask them who authorises the repairs now that Cartwrights has gone out of business. If (as I suspect) the initial answer is nobody - point out that as it's an insurance product, someone (probably Cartrwrights on your behalf) paid a premium for the insurance and the Financial Ombudsman might have a different view.

If the car is under three/five years old, the warranty is with Renault and any dealer in Australia should be able to get the repairs authorised.

Too old (only just) for the factory warranty, and not an aftermarket one (they're useless anyway). So its the statutory warranty the dealer is legally obliged to provide under Qld law.

Its attached to the dealer and I would simply be another creditor....

Haakon, Hope you get your car sorted. What car is it?

Too old (only just) for the factory warranty, and not an aftermarket one (they're useless anyway). So its the statutory warranty the dealer is legally obliged to provide under Qld law.

Bugger!

I think you'll find that there is room with Renault to examine what is a reasonable expectation regarding the parts of the vehicle. A warranty is a warranty, but a reasonable expectation is legally just that. Parts or systems that fail just out of the factory warranty period may attract some pro-rata recompense. It all depends on whether you go to Slater and Gordon direct or whether you actually work your way through it with Renault. Give that a try first.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Default Different states but similar affliations...

Down here in Mexico the VACC cover a large number of the more reputable repairer/dealers. This is the an association for and by the automotive trade, covers their @rse and saves yours as required. Does Qld have something similar? I ask this as Cartwrights may be a member and they could/possibly/hopefully cover the costs as required.
    Head office is the first 'Port of Call' and they may be gracious, possibly not. Remember they have lost a long term dealer and wish to replace them ASAP. Feckin' hard to be a new dealer when Head Office has poisoned the local owners by not being nice. (You can use this line at free will.)
    Don't worry I've been more 'emotive' of language and body pose as required when the outcome is 'mano o mano'.

Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    The local Peugeot dealer has a couple of SUV's with NSW rego, ex Rick. All of this in Deepest Darkest Dandenong! Just wish I had the readies for a new motor, it's a buyers market.

Brendan
    There's a half dozen new/as new Renaults for sale through a used car dealer in WA on E-bay. All seem to have WA rego, with mileage ranging from 20km (2 cars) to 3012 km (1 car), and the rest in between. Has something happened to another dealer over there? Or it may possibly be a company has just bought a fleet of them and gone bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I think you'll find that there is room with Renault to examine what is a reasonable expectation regarding the parts of the vehicle. A warranty is a warranty, but a reasonable expectation is legally just that. Parts or systems that fail just out of the factory warranty period may attract some pro-rata recompense. It all depends on whether you go to Slater and Gordon direct or whether you actually work your way through it with Renault. Give that a try first.
    We had two Peugeot 306 heater radiators fail out of warranty. On both occasions Peugeot came to the party and shared the cost of replacement without much effort from me.

My gratuitous advice is to take a "more in sorrow than anger" attitude when communicating.

Best of luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    There's a half dozen new/as new Renaults for sale through a used car dealer in WA on E-bay. All seem to have WA rego, with mileage ranging from 20km (2 cars) to 3012 km (1 car), and the rest in between. Has something happened to another dealer over there? Or it may possibly be a company has just bought a fleet of them and gone bankrupt.
    Daniel, they could have been demos or company fleet. Our Grand Scenic (ironically bought from Cartwrights) was a VDA press fleet car for the first 6 months and around 6000k of it's life.

Tadpole

So with cartwrights gone, where is the closes renault dealer to the gold coast ????

Just a waiting game for me now - the Renault agent in Hobart (there is no dealer, just an approved service centre) is writing to renault on my behalf about the engine mount replacement (their motivation being they just bought the thing and won't get paid by Cartwright or reimbursed by Renault).

If that goes well, I may have a crack at the niggle items.

Although it brings forward my timing belt task - I got it in writing that any breakage would be covered by Cartwright, but renault will see the "more than 4 years" and tell me to get stuffed.

I am personally comfy with replacing it at 6 years and 30,000km, but... Just a pain, because my rare visits to see the girl in Hobart do not want to be spent stuffing around on cars!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information