AMC magazine
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: AMC magazine

  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bulga
    Posts
    23

    Default AMC magazine

    An article on Jim Gullan in the latest Australian Muscle Car Magazine pages 92, 93 pics from 1961,

    "co-winner of Class D in a Renault Gordini with Brian Sampson, who, 14 years later won Bathurst with Peter Brock".

    Black and white photo of car D3 with thick tape across the front, covering both headlights.
    Good to see some real muscle featured in that magazine.
    Anyone remember him?

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! Paul T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bathurst, NSW.
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Jim Gullan's first race was in 1937/1938???. In 1950 he raced in the Australian Grand Prix where I think he placed in the top 5?, however places were never given except for first I think?? I'll have to look in my GP history book for more info.
    I think his last race was in the early '60's with a class place in the 1961 Armstrong 500 held at Phillip Island his main claim to fame.

    I think most of us oldies remember Brian Sampson.

    Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

  3. #3
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barrybanks
    An article on Jim Gullan in the latest Australian Muscle Car Magazine pages 92, 93 pics from 1961,

    "co-winner of Class D in a Renault Gordini with Brian Sampson, who, 14 years later won Bathurst with Peter Brock"
    I thought it was John Connolly who co-drove with Brian Sampson in the No. 3 (Monash Service Station) Dauphine Gordini in the 1961 Armstrong 500?
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! Paul T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bathurst, NSW.
    Posts
    266

    Default 3 Driver team

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I thought it was John Connolly who co-drove with Brian Sampson in the No. 3 (Monash Service Station) Dauphine Gordini in the 1961 Armstrong 500?
    Correct. It was a 3 driver team being-
    Jim Gullan.
    Brian Sampson.
    John Connolly.

    There were 3 Dauphine Gordini's entered in the 1961 race. 2nd place in class D was another Dauphine Gordini driven by Norm Beechey and Bill March and another in 6th place.
    Last edited by Paul T; 12th August 2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: correction

    Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

  5. #5
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Correct. It was a 3 driver team being-
    Jim Gullan.
    Brian Sampson.
    John Connolly.

    There were 3 Dauphine Gordini's entered in the 1961 race. 2nd place in class D was another Dauphine Gordini driven by Norm Beechey and Bill March and another in 6th place.
    Thanks for the clarification, I had no idea that it was a three-crew car. In the meantime I did some homework to find out why my fave "Bathurst 1000 - First 15 Years" book was incorrect. Looking at a few contemporary articles, others seem to have reported only two drivers as well. Sports Car World January 1962, was the only magazine that reported the three drivers in the No 3 Gordini, with additional info on the 6th placed Gordini.

    The No.2 Gordini of Lex Park/Stan Martyn/Rex Broadhead boiled 10 minutes before the finish, eventually limping home in 6th place.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,366

    Default

    Norm Beechey, Rex Broadhead, Brian Sampson; add Bob Holden in the R8 later on and there are some fairly well-known race drivers that ran renaults early in their careers. Not to mention the Rally R8's and R8G's later on as well.
    KB


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    bermagui
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Dont forget Pete Geogehan. He told me once the Dauphine Gordini was " a very sweet car to drive ". I dont know how he ever got in one.

  8. #8
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gordini17 View Post
    Dont forget Pete Geogehan. He told me once the Dauphine Gordini was " a very sweet car to drive ". I dont know how he ever got in one.

    The Geoghegan borthers also imported a Dauphine 1093, so they must have liked them.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •