Renault = mule
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Renault = mule

Default Renault = mule

Renault clearly make good mules.

Today at the tip, dumping green waste, a big branch blew off the dump pile (in the gale) and hit another car.
    I walked over and pulled it off the car as I was close, and to my surprise it was an immaculate R19 rt with a more senior gent driving it.

As it parked next to me, I could see it was absolutely chocker block full of branches and green waste.

I had a chat to the guy about the r19 sedan in the paddock at my place, and about the mule aspect of these cars. As soon as he told me it revs sweetly up to 6K rpm, it was clear he was a renault nut!!.

After we'd finished unloading the trailer, my assistant commented that the dude was still pulling branches out...."Jeez, how big is that little renault".

Whilst a fuego has a small amount of interior room to load up, it will pull like a teenager when loaded up with a heavy trailer.
    Its doing up to three trips per day to the tip so it's working real hard at the moment.

Advertisement

Jo

I moved house twice using a 12 wagon which saved me having to hire a trailer. The space available when lying the rear bench flat is enough to sleep in.

It even pulled a float with a dead Pug 205 on it (both times). Dead easy.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I moved house twice using a 12 wagon which saved me having to hire a trailer. The space available when lying the rear bench flat is enough to sleep in.

It even pulled a float with a dead Pug 205 on it (both times). Dead easy.
    That's plain scarey I remember towing a 6x4 trailer of wet blue metal dust home once behind my old R12 ...... Everything was fine ............................... Until I tried to stop at the first round-a-bout. The bloody car forgot it had brakes, I stood on the pedal with everything I had ... both feet while pulling on the steering wheel. I swear the back wheels of the car must have been a foot off the ground.... She sure didn't want to stop that little trailer, even if it could move it I didn't make that mistake twice

The suspension and brakes let them down to much for towing IMO. The @rse end dives to the ground, the front end goes searching for the sky and the brakes don't want to work anymore.

A shitty old CX wagon is what you need It'll tow anything you can swing from it's drawbar and will fit vast acreages of sh!t in the back.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    ... The @rse end dives to the ground, the front end goes searching for the sky and the brakes don't want to work anymore.
    Ahh, obviously your jockey wheel was set to high.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    That's plain scarey I remember towing a 6x4 trailer of wet blue metal dust home once behind my old R12 ...... Everything was fine ............................... Until I tried to stop at the first round-a-bout. The bloody car forgot it had brakes, I stood on the pedal with everything I had ... both feet while pulling on the steering wheel. I swear the back wheels of the car must have been a foot off the ground.... She sure didn't want to stop that little trailer, even if it could move it I didn't make that mistake twice

The suspension and brakes let them down to much for towing IMO. The @rse end dives to the ground, the front end goes searching for the sky and the brakes don't want to work anymore.

A shitty old CX wagon is what you need It'll tow anything you can swing from it's drawbar and will fit vast acreages of sh!t in the back.

seeya,
    Shane L.

It was a two axle float so the weight was not on the hitch, and had its own inertia brakes. Incidentally, I discovered when towing the trailer empty home from the servo that I had forgotten to release the handbrake on the trailer which meant the poor R12 was struggling to hit 50. Once that fixed it drove happily up to 50 which was the quickest I wanted to do. With the Pug on, it was doing 50 easily, but again I didn't want to do more than that. Brakes worked fine, considering the load. I was myself surprised at how well the little bugger performed.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I used my 19 to bring home 350 kgs of "vintage" firewood this week - none of this economy special wood that burns twice as quickly. My wife was most surprised when I told her how much I had put in.
    The car still had plenty of get up and go, I didn't test this intentionally, only when a rigid truck decided he was coming on over into my lane. A touch of the horn and pedal to the floor and we were away.... I could have put more into the car though I think I need to change the rear shocks so it can hold me without looking like the saggy-baggy elephant!

Cheers,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markb2501 View Post
    I used my 19 to bring home 350 kgs of "vintage" firewood this week - none of this economy special wood that burns twice as quickly. My wife was most surprised when I told her how much I had put in.
    The car still had plenty of get up and go, I didn't test this intentionally, only when a rigid truck decided he was coming on over into my lane. A touch of the horn and pedal to the floor and we were away.... I could have put more into the car though I think I need to change the rear shocks so it can hold me without looking like the saggy-baggy elephant!

Cheers,

Mark
    Unfortunately Mark, the car is designed as a saggy assed elephant.
    If you want comfort (real comfort like those weirdo citroen people carry on about all the time) the R19 is the car for you. If you want a proper mule, get a hilux.
    Real mules have leaf springs, and probably not torsion bars.

A good party trick is to put the hand brake on, have it in reverse and let a little clutch out.

The ass will shoot skywards and look really wrong.

Jo

I've towed a 16 ft pop-up caravan behind a 12 wagon for many hundreds of miles. It would sit on 100 km/h, just, and was not overly sensitive on the steering. No sway or other bullship, just pulled hard all the way there and back. Probably not legal, but hey, no hassles!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I've towed a 16 ft pop-up caravan behind a 12 wagon for many hundreds of miles. It would sit on 100 km/h, just, and was not overly sensitive on the steering. No sway or other bullship, just pulled hard all the way there and back. Probably not legal, but hey, no hassles!
    I put a 16 foot millard on the fuego the other day, to move it around the yard.
    The ass was so buried, I couldn't see the road in front of me, and had to employ jockey wheel support for the weight.
    I could not lift the hitch, even with a mate, so I'd say it was easily 100kg+ of down weight.

Jo

Thread Information