R16TS Indicator stalk
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Default R16TS Indicator stalk

My indicator stalk finally snapped off right at the base 2 days ago rendering my indicators useless.

Lucky (I thought at the time) that I have a spare in the heaps of spares I got from John Edwards when I bought the car. So I went up to see Clive and we got the old one off and he set about fixing up the spare with lots of bullet connectors and solder.

Advertisement

Clive was sensible enough to take photos of the assembly which incorportates the light switch assembly.

Then it all went together first time and we tested it. It was all working before fitting the 3 bolts to the steering column.

Then, NUTHIN'. Well, the lights worked but the indicators did not. Occasionally they could be coaxed to work by jiggling the red wires but would not work again in the same spot. It seems obvious that there is a loose connection actually inside the indicator part of the assembly and you don't seem to be able to get to it.

I am in a state of flux! So I'm after the whole assembly if you have one spare (See Parts wanted/for sale). This car is now my daily driver again having sold the Fug so it is rather URGENT

Best wishes

Alastair

Now I'm after the whole assembly

Alastair,

I have some spare, there is a catch though. They came as spare parts with a car I got and instead of simply unplugging the stalk cluster at the white connecters these ones were just cut about 5 cm up the various wires. So you would need to clearly trace each one and re-solder onto your exiting wires/connectors or the spare one you have. If your up for that it's yours for free.

PS: There are two types (Not interchangeable as the screw holes attach to the column differently). I'm not sure which type the 1976 had. A photo of it would be could so I can make sure I send the correct one.

Steve
    Last edited by Sarosa; 8th August 2012 at 02:58 PM.

Hi Sarosa

That's fantastic. I didn't expect it to come withpout having the wires snipped!! Clive has some photos so I'll get him to send them to me and I can onsend them to your e-m address - mine is [email protected]

Alastair

For reference I went out and compared the ones I have this morning. If you look at the two bolt holes aligning each other on the outer edge (ignore the middle bolt hole) and measure the gap between them, that can tell you which one you have. Taking the centre of the holes, measure the gap. One will measure 6cm across, the other 4.5cm across. I have two (2) with cut wires that measure the 6cm gap available.

Also when removing them from the column there shouldn't be any need to cut any wires. The complete stalk comes off by unplugging the multi-white connectors, plus another connector to the instrument cluster and one other one (Red I think). All connecting about 20-25cm down the wires. No cutting at all required.

Hi Sarosa

Yes it's 6cm.

OMG we had cut many wires already. We didn't see any multi white connectors. They must be in towards the dash board. Thanks for the info. We'll look a bit harder next time.

Best wishes

Alastair

Hi sarosa

Part received - many thanks for your help

Alastair

Thread Information