16 TS motor in a 12??
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 16 TS motor in a 12??

Hi,
    I have a Renault virage and the motor is needing attention.
    I have been given a Renault 16 TS motor and am wondering what is involved to fit in the virage?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Renren View Post
    Hi,
    I have a Renault virage and the motor is needing attention.
    I have been given a Renault 16 TS motor and am wondering what is involved to fit in the virage?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Lets see now off the top of my head you'll need to fabricate your own engine mounts, get hold of a 16 bellhousing and modify it to clear the crown wheel, modify your radiator, it'll be 2 small and flow the wrong way. Make up your own radiator hoses and exhaust system, Fit a different starter motor and alternator, modify the wiring loom to take the new stater and alt, make up your own throttle linkages and reset the carby. After all this is done you wont to able to shut your bonnet because the carby sits to high. Plus the fact that the sump will sit to low, the original sump gaurd won't fit anymore and it'll bang and scrape on every speed hump

Hell of a lot easier and cheaper to fix the original motor.

Of course its much easier to use a 17TL but even then there's a lot more to it than just the engine
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Tadpole

Are 17 motors around?
    I didn't think were many 17s in australia?
    Do they go much harder than the 1.4?
    Haha well maybe I might get rid of the 16 motor and put it towards a 17 motor.

Are 17 motors around?
    I didn't think were many 17s in australia?
    Do they go much harder than the 1.4?
    Haha well maybe I might get rid of the 16 motor and put it towards a 17 motor.
    Its not just the motor you need its the whole 17

You also need the bellhousing (or complete gearbox) radiator, exhaust system, starter and alternator, radiator hoses, carby and linkages all from the 17.

The R12 engine mounts will bolt to a 17 block but you'll still need to to modify the wiring because the starter and alt are now on opposite sides and the bonnet still wont shut because the carby is to tall (thats why 17's have a hump)

Keep an eye on ebay, sometimes 17's come up.
    To make it legal you also need the bigger brakes and sway bars off the 17
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Tadpole

Haha far out!!
    Nothing's every easy. Would be a shame to cut up a 17 for a 12.
    Might just see if I can get the 1.4 to go a bit harder when it gets rebuilt.
    Thanks

Haha far out!!
    Nothing's every easy. Would be a shame to cut up a 17 for a 12.
    Might just see if I can get the 1.4 to go a bit harder when it gets rebuilt.
    Thanks
    Yes its a shame to destroy a 17 but they were all fully imported and didn't have the rust proofing locally made cars had so therefore most of the old wrecks lying around are rusted out and are only good for donar vehicles.

The 17 was built on a 12 floorpan (12 Gordini actually) so all the mechanical parts swap into 12's resonably easy and the 12 being lighter will go harder and handle better.
    Once the conversion is done then the sky is the limit as its easy to the next step and create a Gordini replica with 160 or more horsepower, only limited by the size of your wallet.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Yeah, and on top of everything else Dave just told you about, you need the input spigot shaft and clutch off the 17 as well.

That being said, it has been done a number of times, just take it easy and you'll do it.

The 807 engine will give you 100HP vs 54HP of the 810. Considering the gain, I guess the pain might be worth it.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Tadpole

Yeah would make the old Renault a bit of fun!
    Guess I'll Jst have to keep my eyes peeled for a clapped out 17!
    Thanks fellas

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Yeah, and on top of everything else Dave just told you about, you need the input spigot shaft and clutch off the 17 as well.

That being said, it has been done a number of times, just take it easy and you'll do it.

The 807 engine will give you 100HP vs 54HP of the 810. Considering the gain, I guess the pain might be worth it.
    Yeah forgot about the fact that you need to dismantle the gearbox to change the input shaft but thats why a complete R17 gearbox is the prefered way.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Nah, just need to pull off the clutch cover, take out the split pin and whack on the 17 spigot.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Geez Dave you've even frightened me. My son and I did it years ago. Was it really all that much work? Plenty of people have done it Renren. You may even be able to buy one already done. I know someone who recently bought one already built to R12 G specs. It can also be an old R15TS as a donor car. I have also put in an R16 motor but all you have to do different to an R15/17 motor is modify the mounts. If you could ever find an R16TX 844? motor then they have the same mount holes as an R15/17. The carby solution is to use Webber DCOE carbs. I think it has been done often enough that I believe the Qld Dept of Tpt put out a bulletin years ago on what you needed to change to get it approved for registration up here. Things have changed now and you would need some sort of modification approval depending on state requirements.

COL

Default 807 Engine Into A R12

Hi Renren

If you have a donor R15TS or a 17TL it is very easy to do, just unbolt all the R15/R17 stuff and bolt into the R12.

I have a set of engine mounts made up for an R16 motor to fit into an R12 can post pick if you require.

I have also seen R18GTS engines put into an R12
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Geez Dave you've even frightened me. My son and I did it years ago. Was it really all that much work? Plenty of people have done it Renren. You may even be able to buy one already done. I know someone who recently bought one already built to R12 G specs. It can also be an old R15TS as a donor car. I have also put in an R16 motor but all you have to do different to an R15/17 motor is modify the mounts. If you could ever find an R16TX 844? motor then they have the same mount holes as an R15/17. The carby solution is to use Webber DCOE carbs. I think it has been done often enough that I believe the Qld Dept of Tpt put out a bulletin years ago on what you needed to change to get it approved for registration up here. Things have changed now and you would need some sort of modification approval depending on state requirements.
    Sorry but for the novice its a big job.
    Yes I could do one with my eyes shut, I'm guessing I've done at least 12 conversions already but the first one is a big job.
    I've done 16TS into 12, 18GTS into 12, 5 speed conversions, been there done that, The best I think is 18GTS bottom end with R17 crossflow head and carby with 18 5 speed box but its more than just a weekends work
    I hear often people say "just chuck a 16 motor in it" but it just won't work unless you have some idea of what your doing.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Sorry but for the novice its a big job.
    Yes I could do one with my eyes shut, I'm guessing I've done at least 12 conversions already but the first one is a big job.
    I've done 16TS into 12, 18GTS into 12, 5 speed conversions, been there done that, The best I think is 18GTS bottom end with R17 crossflow head and carby with 18 5 speed box but its more than just a weekends work
    I hear often people say "just chuck a 16 motor in it" but it just won't work unless you have some idea of what your doing.
    Yep! Peter

1000+ Posts

Hi-Pity we cannot keep all we have had.For quite a few years I owned 'The Iguana'- a 12 that Dave did the16 motor trick for an old mate [though he is younger than me] -Bruce Turner.
    It finally popped a piston but the Webbers still operate on a 17 at Hillclimbs around Vic.
    Would have gladly helped out with necessary bits including the bonnet that had a WW 11 helmet grafted in.

Pekay.

Thread Information