Stolen Keys - Caravelle
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Stolen Keys - Caravelle

Hi all.

Advertisement

I have just had my house broken into, and apart from all the computer gear (including back up drives) that was stolen, the thieves also thoughtfully took all the car keys I had neatly lined up on hooks in the kitchen. Unfortunately, this included the only set of keys to my '67 Caravelle S. Of course, the car has the steering lock engaged which will make it a pig to remove the lock and get it to a locksmith. However, I have managed to get a code of the back of the lock by removing the switching part.

I have spoken to a locksmith - who wasn't able to interpret the code, but said he may be able to do something with a bit of trial and error, and the code, if I can supply him with a sample set of keys.

Does anyone have a set of keys I could borrow to provide as a sample of the type of key blank required? I believe even a digital photo may help. Any other clues or advice (other than to make sure I get a spare set made) would be much appreciated.

Cheers

George Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    Hi all.

I have just had my house broken into, and apart from all the computer gear (including back up drives) that was stolen, the thieves also thoughtfully took all the car keys I had neatly lined up on hooks in the kitchen. Unfortunately, this included the only set of keys to my '67 Caravelle S. Of course, the car has the steering lock engaged which will make it a pig to remove the lock and get it to a locksmith. However, I have managed to get a code of the back of the lock by removing the switching part.

I have spoken to a locksmith - who wasn't able to interpret the code, but said he may be able to do something with a bit of trial and error, and the code, if I can supply him with a sample set of keys.

Does anyone have a set of keys I could borrow to provide as a sample of the type of key blank required? I believe even a digital photo may help. Any other clues or advice (other than to make sure I get a spare set made) would be much appreciated.

Cheers

George Vermont

Sorry to hear that George, at least the car is safe. Niddrie Locksmiths just near us use to stock Renault blanks, only a few years ago I got keys cut for a R10 and they had blanks in stock then, might still have them.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Tadpole

Default I have heaps of keys to R8s and Caravelles Fluorides

perhaps one may just get you going, I need them as they are all keys for project cars

Tadpole

Default make that florides although my caravelle is very white and may have been flouridated

can lend them to you or help

1000+ Posts

Old style locksmiths can still interpret the code. You want one that can still cut keys without a computer. getting a blank may be the problem. Had one done for a Dauphine a few years ago. He said it would take him a day he couldn't do it while you wait.

Bugger.

Best of luck George. I understand completely. There are so many different key profiles you'd be very lucky to find one that worked.

You could try France. Send me a PM and I can email a friend there to see whether he knows what the code means.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Lock is very likely a "Neiman" or "Nieman clausor". Key blanks are listed in the Silca catalogue. Silca make an enormous range of automotive key blanks. Suggest you contact Locksmiths Supply Co. in North melbourne who are the Silca agents. They may be able to help you with the name of one of their locksmith clients who stocks some of these blanks and has an interest in Renaults. Their sales reps visit locksmiths regularly and know them pretty well.
    I always found Oakleigh Locksmiths very helpful.

Thanks, I will get in touch with Locksmiths supply co - and see what they say. Will also ring around the locksmiths in Oakliegh and Niddrie.

G:-)

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

This is the expensive way, but I'm sure I've seen through europe you can get new barrels for doors, bonnet and ignition. Don't ask me through who it was though.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

in Melbourne Call 131KEY they are in Springvale Rd
    All old stuff
    These guys have everything, can cut all steel keys, program all Renault as long as you have PIN

Tadpole

pm me the code - I can make you a key

Update,

I took the boot lock in to a locksmith today and he cut a key off the code stamped on the barrel. Worked a treat. But here is the best news, the code on the barrel was the same as the code on the ignition, except for the last digit. A 'p' on the boot lock, while an 'o' or '0' on the ignition. However there was no listing on the computer for the ignition lock, and to my surprise, the blank specified for the boot lock was an oval blank, not the smaller diamond shaped blank I expected for the door locks.

But here is the best news. The key he cut fits all locks! I now only need one key for the whole car. Very happy camper here.

Thanks for all your suggestions and offers of help.

George

Wow! You gotta love a happy outcome.

I hope you still don't have only one key.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

Default Glad that was resolved.

Glad you resolved the issue, I came to the thread to let you know that some months back I bought some blank keys at the RCCV auction, Most are the Neiman type used on the Fuego, so spares for my cars, but there were a few odd blanks in other configurations like the rounded end variety - was going to ask if someone could post a pic of the needed key profile, but its good that the locksmith could resolve it, hope it didn't cost too much.

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by kenfuego View Post
    glad you resolved the issue, hope it didn't cost too much.

Ken.
    $6.50!

The bigger picture here is that now the thief presumably has a full set of keys to all your cars.
    Aren't you concerned they may come back and take their pick on another occasion?

You don't mention that you changed any locks (particularly in the case of the caravelle).
    Admittedly it may not be particularly desirable to car thiefs, but still.

What about house locks, surely you changed those?
    KB

[QUOTE=Admittedly it may not be particularly desirable to car thiefs, but still.[/QUOTE]

I protesteth, Florides and Caravelles are highly desireable....

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I protesteth, Florides and Caravelles are highly desireable....
    "TO CAR THIEVES..."
    Unless there is a subversive black market in spares and rebirthing of 50/60's model Renaults I am not aware of. It was more his modern car fleet I was talking about.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    "TO CAR THIEVES..."
    Unless there is a subversive black market in spares and rebirthing of 50/60's model Renaults I am not aware of. It was more his modern car fleet I was talking about.

Shhhhh, but if you know anything about Florides or parts of, I pay cash.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Icon6

The bigger picture here is that now the thief presumably has a full set of keys to all your cars.
    Aren't you concerned they may come back and take their pick on another occasion?

You don't mention that you changed any locks (particularly in the case of the caravelle).

Admittedly it may not be particularly desirable to car thiefs, but still.

What about house locks, surely you changed those?

G'day,
    how about a clublock for the cars. Reasonably secure, and a visible deterrent.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Glad you could sort it George

Great find on the key sets too!
    No doubt it may be possible to make 'fit all' keys for others using the last digit in the code.

Who was the locksmith?
    I am sure they wouldn't mind an endorsement here!

I've found it hard in the past to find a 'good' locksmith to deal with the frenchies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I came to the thread to let you know that some months back I bought some blank keys at the RCCV auction, Most are the Neiman type used on the Fuego, so spares for my cars, but there were a few odd blanks in other configurations like the rounded end variety - was going to ask if someone could post a pic of the needed key profile....
    Hey Ken, you wouldn't happen to have something for an R5? I also need an R16 set.

I only have the one set and this thread iif anything is a good reminder to have spares.
    I've had a few 'oh shit' moments over the years, but luckily haven't lost any yet.

I'll take a scan of my R5 and R16 keys and post them shortly.

David.