4cv bits
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 4cv bits

Tadpole

Default 4cv bits

Can anyone put me onto a pair of front wneel cylinders for my 4cv? Would like to keep it original but is there an easy (Im lazy) way to fit 10 or 8 disc brakes? Any help appreciated.

Advertisement

If the wheel cylinder pistons are in good condition how about getting the existing wheel cylinders sleeved with stainless steel? Most decent brake places offer the service and should also be able to supply the dust boots and cups.

It is probably easier than trying to find a donor early R1130 R8/R1131 Caravelle to pinch the front discs and hubs from. Or also you could replace the whole 750 kingpin/drum front crossmember with one from a balljoint/disc equipped R8/10....
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Kermit has front R10 discs, Steve Cavanah of French Connection provided them with a small modification. Fit straight on to original king pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rose View Post
    Kermit has front R10 discs, Steve Cavanah of French Connection provided them with a small modification. Fit straight on to original king pins.
    Correct but you need those early R8/Caravelle hubs. The later ones don't fit as the stub axles were lengthened slightly.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Kermit is a bit later than your 4CV John and maybe the stub axles are different.

Steve line bored a deeper recess into the R10/R8/Caravelle hubs to allow the bearing to sit further in as far as I understand. I had no difficulty in installing them but I also installed Floride rear drums.

Not too sure how braking bias would be altered using the standard 4CV rear brakes but the above works well without any major issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rose View Post
    Kermit is a bit later than your 4CV John and maybe the stub axles are different.

Steve line bored a deeper recess into the R10/R8/Caravelle hubs to allow the bearing to sit further in as far as I understand. I had no difficulty in installing them but I also installed Floride rear drums.

Not too sure how braking bias would be altered using the standard 4CV rear brakes but the above works well without any major issues.
    Hi Colin,

AFAIK the stub axles are all the same from the early R1062 (like my 1951 4CV) through to the R1130 (my early R8). Then they changed (?R8 1100 and R10), and lengthened the stub axles slightly - a bit more front track or a bit more beef in the stub axles (others will know which or both). So I suspect Steve machined down later stub axles to get the bearing separation consistent for the early, shorter stub axles. Nice work.

I'm fitting front Dauphine brakes to my spider wheel car and leaving the rears as is. This is "Kermit lite" as both cars have or will have a different ratio of front to rear brake capacity.

For this thread, there are several solutions to the original question, all fairly straightforward.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

The hub would have been from an 1132 R8 or an R10, and can have the outer bearing seat machined in approx 10mm so as to fit the shorter stub on the 4CV.. I also machined about 3mm from the innermost part of the hub.

The R10 brake parts will then fit the 4CV quite well and is what I have fitted to my 4CV, although I have done others using the early R1130 R8 brake bits, and as mentioned are a straight up fit, just a bit rare now to find.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Tadpole

Default 4CV brakes

Thank you all for the info. Much appreciated. Will let you know how I get on.
    Regards
    Phill

I thought Steve Cavanagh (my brother) just used R12 wheel cylinders. Or is that only on the larger (Floride) drums.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    The hub would have been from an 1132 R8 or an R10, and can have the outer bearing seat machined in approx 10mm so as to fit the shorter stub on the 4CV.. I also machined about 3mm from the innermost part of the hub.

The R10 brake parts will then fit the 4CV quite well and is what I have fitted to my 4CV, although I have done others using the early R1130 R8 brake bits, and as mentioned are a straight up fit, just a bit rare now to find.
    Quite so. Yesterday we measured up some 4CV and R8/10 stub axles. All the same length except one a few mm longer (presumably an R8 1100 or R10). Then we checked out an R1060 stub axle - amazingly small. I'd say its outer front bearing was about alternator sized. No wonder they were regarded as fragile... You might realise I've passed through Brisbane "central" - sorry no time to say hello face to face.

Anyway, I hadn't realised the later disc braked hubs had enough meat to machine - never thought about it really. Obvious with hindsight. Thanks.

If I had three-stud wheels, I'd fit discs on the 4CV for sure.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

As you will recall David. I fitted R12 wheel cylinders to Floride drums recently. The only issue was that the shoes were slightly wider so had to have the edges tapered to avoid the rough area of the drums.

Thread Information