Fuego Clutch pivot
  • Register
  • Help
    Administrator

Default Fuego Clutch pivot

G'day all,

Advertisement

Now that I've finished tinkering on the rear beam, I'm about to sacrifice a spare Fuego Clutch pivot and stem and get it machined to take 2 roller bearings instead of the plastic bush (of which one half has disintegrated).

The bearings I am using are commonly referred to as a '608' bearing that are used on skateboards and tumble dryers (amongst 1 million other things).

I'm hoping it makes the clutch a little lighter and removes that slightly weird binding feel that my Fuego sometimes gets.

I'll post some photos when done if it works ok.

I'll speak to the engineer about the possibility of putting a grease nipple between the two bearings also.

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Love piggybacking on good ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    G'day all,

Now that I've finished tinkering on the rear beam, I'm about to sacrifice a spare Fuego Clutch pivot and stem and get it machined to take 2 roller bearings instead of the plastic bush (of which one half has disintegrated).

The bearings I am using are commonly referred to as a '608' bearing that are used on skateboards and tumble dryers (amongst 1 million other things).

I'm hoping it makes the clutch a little lighter and removes that slightly weird binding feel that my Fuego sometimes gets.

I'll post some photos when done if it works ok.

I'll speak to the engineer about the possibility of putting a grease nipple between the two bearings also.
    Glad you are doing that, as on my present car with its low km's, the clutch has always squeaked in operation, [email protected]@dy annoying but being firmly from the school of if it works, then keep using it till it break or something else does, then fix it - so a Job waiting for the right time. I was just going to re-lube with some copper anti seize grease - but your idea sounds more Mr Rennoish (will surely work well )

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    G'day all,

Now that I've finished tinkering on the rear beam,

You couldn't possibly have done the rear beam mods already Spose that explains why we haven't seen you lately. I bet your wife and kids haven't seen you either if you've done all that in only a week.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    You couldn't possibly have done the rear beam mods already Spose that explains why we haven't seen you lately. I bet your wife and kids haven't seen you either if you've done all that in only a week.
    No, still waiting for the 'other thing' to come back from the engineer, so thought that I'd cut and bend the rear beam for some negative camber in the mean time.

Administrator

Default Bronze Impregnated Bush

I got the pivot modified, but the engineer who milled it out thought a Bronze Impregnated Bush would be better than a bearing in a high load low speed application.

I fitted it up when the engine was out and lubricated everything else so it is really smooth at the moment, but I'll wait a few weeks and see how it fairs.

It is certainly smoother than it has ever been, (or any other Fuego I have driven) even after I have just lubed everything, but obviously you can't lubricate the clutch lever pivot or the release bearing with the engine in so that may also be a contributing factor. Time will tell.

Fellow Frogger!

Richard,

What's the long term decision on the bush?
    Any negatives on its installation?
    Anything you'd do differently?

David

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    Richard,

What's the long term decision on the bush?
    Any negatives on its installation?
    Anything you'd do differently?

David
    Works really really well. Nice and smooth all the time. No negatives at all.

The nylon bush seemed to bind up and get grabby when it got hot. Now its smooth and consistent.

I was going to convert to a hydraulic clutch, but that's well down on the priority list now.

Hi Richard, I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you had any photos of this modification. My son is learning to drive but he is struggling with his Fuego as the clutch is very heavy and uneven feel.
    Thanks
    Peter

That could well be the top pivot, I posted a bit on this around October last year. My experience was that renewal of the damaged and missing items restored quite a light feel.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    That could well be the top pivot, I posted a bit on this around October last year. My experience was that renewal of the damaged and missing items restored quite a light feel.
    Yeah. The top pivot with the plastic bushes tends to bind when worn and the pedal action becomes unsmooth.

Out of interest? What parts can be missing? I've had the plastic dust shield in tbe bell housing get wedged in between the clutch fork and the housing, but apart from that?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by R1173 View Post
    Hi Richard, I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you had any photos of this modification. My son is learning to drive but he is struggling with his Fuego as the clutch is very heavy and uneven feel.
    Thanks
    Peter
    I'll take the pivot off and photograph it.

One half of the bush was missing.

It was demonstrably missing grease as well. Used the red Nulon stuff with PTFE.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    One half of the bush was missing.
    Ah. Yeah...that'd do it☺

1000+ Posts

The fuego clutch can work well if all moving parts are in good condition, properly lubricated with material that won't migrate onto the friction surfaces. Often the actual clutch has been replaced with a harsher after market clutch and these are often much harder to depress whereas the O.E.M. clutches are lighter sprung and easier to depress.

The bell crank, the cable and the ballpivot in the clutch housing must all be moving freely, sometimes the new clutch cables with internal plastic sheathing will bunch up and bind its operation, I always make sure a new cable moves freely, and has adequate lubrication before it is installed, and that can be dry graphite carbon or combined with Teflon lubricant grease.

Try each component before you go to the extreme of dismantling the clutch, occasionally a very worn old clutch throwout bearing might bind the clutch operation.

Regards

Ken

Thread Information