Some days you're just not meant to drive your Renault
  • Register
  • Help

Default Some days you're just not meant to drive your Renault

I'm working Afternoon shift today - a rarity for me. The phone and email have been going off all morning despite the fact people know I'm not at work.

So I thought I'd take the R10 along to get the springs measured for a custom set as per the R10 Springs and Mods thread. I'm going to a Dyno day on Sunday and thought it might be good to run it on the 14's too.

I had previously changed the 13" wheels to the 14" (with track rubber) and got it all ready to go. I knew the tyres were close to the guards, but thought if I took it slow it would be OK. 200m from home and the ominous sounds of tyre rubbing on guard, so I thought no problem, a minor setback I'll turn around, go back home and change them over; throw the 14"s in the car and continue on. Change them back at the Spring place.

Change the wheels over, load up the car; lock up the garage and house then jump in to go. Cranks but won't fire - I think it's flooded. Flooded - It's only travelled 400m!

It ran fine for 400m then decides it doesn't want to go out today. I'm having a cup of tea and then I'll give it ONE last chance. Fair warning R10 - if you don't start you're sleeping outside tonight!

KB

Advertisement
    KB

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I'm working Afternoon shift today - a rarity for me. The phone and email have been going off all morning despite the fact people know I'm not at work.

So I thought I'd take the R10 along to get the springs measured for a custom set as per the R10 Springs and Mods thread. I'm going to a Dyno day on Sunday and thought it might be good to run it on the 14's too.

I had previously changed the 13" wheels to the 14" (with track rubber) and got it all ready to go. I knew the tyres were close to the guards, but thought if I took it slow it would be OK. 200m from home and the ominous sounds of tyre rubbing on guard, so I thought no problem, a minor setback I'll turn around, go back home and change them over; throw the 14"s in the car and continue on. Change them back at the Spring place.

Change the wheels over, load up the car; lock up the garage and house then jump in to go. Cranks but won't fire - I think it's flooded. Flooded - It's only travelled 400m!

It ran fine for 400m then decides it doesn't want to go out today. I'm having a cup of tea and then I'll give it ONE last chance. Fair warning R10 - if you don't start you're sleeping outside tonight!

KB
    I believe swearing at the car in French is the key...

Bearing in mind that the car has flooded and a flammable liquid is involved, may I suggest - Brūle en enfer...

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Fair warning R10 - if you don't start you're sleeping outside tonight!

KB

You know if you do that it wont start all week.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

I went out half-hearted thinking it wouldn't start. contemplated pulling the plugs but then thought stuff it, I'll press the start button and it will either start or it won't. Started instantly - didn't even crank. I wasn't even actually ready to go then and there, but took the opportunity. My wife had come home by that stage, so I didn't have to lock the house.

Halfway there it conks out just as it is starting to rain. Ended up being a simple fix - coil wire had fallen off the terminal when I went over a bump, but it caused me an anxious few moments on the side of the road. Maybe the two were connected, who knows?

The trip ended up being a waste of time anyhow in one way. Once they measure the springs, they want to take the ones in the car out as a guide to make new ones and it is a two month lead time. I don't want the car sitting up on jack stands for the next two months.

Might try the Kings Springs agent tomorrow. No doubt it will be the same story.
    KB

Thread Information