Fuego foibles
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Fuego foibles

Default Fuego foibles

The old fuego has done a fair bit of work with not much maintenance in recent times. I've been catching up with a few things that have been on the menu so to speak, and wondering if others have the same frustrations as me or can do a job and its done first go, without creating more work. For example, when recently replacing passenger side and front engine mounts [difficult enough when the new mounts aren't exactly the same as the original], I disconnected the fuel pump and moved it out of the road to create space. When finished, and preparing to drive to work noticed a wet patch under the car and found that I'd somehow pinched a hose leading to the fuel pump and was an explosion waiting to happen. All I could think of was to dry it as best as I could and cover the hose with silicon until it stopped leaking and get to work which I did. Didn't realize at the time that it was the suction hose and finished up with a stuffed filter and carbie full of crud. Took days of cleaning and testing, and replacing the diaphragm in the accelerator pump to get it running properly again.
    Next trick was swapping the needles on the speedo and tacho, as the car sits in the sun a fair bit these days [although it rains about 80% of the time], put it back together and sure enough, the fuel and temperature needles start way below where they should, and don't give correct readings anymore. Had another go and still in the wrong position! Why? I didn't touch them. Any ideas? To add to that, I now have a very annoying rattle - vibration under the dash, and do you think I can find it? This car has always been very rattle and noise free - maybe it's actually alive and craving more attention. I probably should be like Jo and drive the crap out of it for a while and maybe it'll behave itself again.
    Anyone else turn one job into a heap of others, or is it just my very ordinary mechanic skills?
    Cheers, Papster
    PS. Found a guy who does polyurethane mouldings, and filled in the holes on the front engine mount strengthening it substantially. Excellent so far, be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Advertisement

Administrator

I just create problems that didn't exist in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    I just create problems that didn't exist in the first place...
    I'm a bit like that.

Papster, thats a normal fuego effort.

Except next time, dont pull stuff of unless it is absolutely necessary.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Papster your only a beginner. I've got this down to a fine art. To become a master you have to meet the following criteria;

"The more you work on your car the worse it must get until you need a major rebuild."

"A task that should take 1 hour must take 5 hours as a minimum and preferably 10 hours."

"Each car must have at least three faults at any one time. As soon as you repair one problem at least one other must take its place, and preferably two new faults should appear."

"If you have two registered old cars at least one must be completely off the road at any one time."

"If you have a list of tasks to do, you will need to write a new one before you get halfway through the first. As you'll have reached the bottom of the paper before finishing them all"

Read this and weep,

http://renaultinaus.17.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=389

My only advice. Never give up trying, one day you may win.
    Last edited by Sunroof; 26th July 2012 at 08:32 AM.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Papster,

Quote Originally Posted by Papster View Post
    ...... the fuel and temperature needles start way below where they should, and don't give correct readings anymore. Had another go and still in the wrong position! Why? I didn't touch them. ......
    very easy to bend these fellas without even noticing and they seem to react markedly to any imbalance, even by altering the angles the needle is bent to - you didn't touch up the ends by painting did you

And yes, my Fug always has a problem it's just a matter of severity, it's just the way it is. Strangely enough, it's cousin, the r20, gave me very little grief once it was converted to manual.

cheers,
    Bob

[QUOTE=bob;1085694]G'day Papster,

very easy to bend these fellas without even noticing and they seem to react markedly to any imbalance, even by altering the angles the needle is bent to - you didn't touch up the ends by painting did you

No Bob, haven't painted them or even touched them until I realized they weren't resting in their normal position. I've got a spare I might play with at the weekend to see if I can work out what happened.
    And thanks guys for the comments, put a smile back on my dial and don't feel quite as big a dill as I did.

Cheers, Papster

Default rattle

Hi Papster:
    Your rattle might be related to the speedo/instrument cable and that might also explain your funny readings. Maybe it's worth going back again and checking that the cables are connected properly.

regards
    Geoff

My car has a rattling sheet metal noise coming from maybe the AC unit. I've wasted countless hours trying to find it to no avail.
    I am now at peace with it, even though it sometimes tricks me into thinking the engine is running lean.
    If I didn't have an o2 gauge to see m mixtures are correct it would do my head in.

Jo

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    My car has a rattling sheet metal noise coming from maybe the AC unit. I've wasted countless hours trying to find it to no avail.
    I am now at peace with it, even though it sometimes tricks me into thinking the engine is running lean.
    If I didn't have an o2 gauge to see m mixtures are correct it would do my head in.

Jo
    Probably the vent flap.

All the foam stuff has probably disintegrated and the flap is rattling on the bulkhead...

Gotta love the chunks of foam that occasionally jettison out of the Fuego HVAC system.

Thread Information