Stuck on!
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Stuck on!

Default Stuck on!

Hey all, the starter in my R8 went the other day. Ordered one up from rockauto.com for an R5 and put it in. Turns over beautifully! Went driving down the road and all of the sudden... sounds like I've run over a trash can lid and I'm dragging it beneath me. Pull to the side of the road and kill the motor and find that the starter is cranking with the ignition switch off.

Advertisement

Ignition switch? Solenoid in my new starter?

Should I just throw it away and buy a new car?

Thoughts?

I reckon there are two courses of action to take...

1. Replace the solenoid.

2. If 1 is unsuccessful send that R8 over here to me and I will take good care of it for you.

Problem could be at (ignition/starter) key switch. Maybe not returning to "ignition only" position.

Cheers, Henry

My thoughts are that it may be the install.

The main battery cable may have become dislodged and shorted with the solenoid connection (or vice versa) bypassing the ignition switch. Sometimes (and depending on the starter) the main positive connection bolt on the rear of the solenoid may also not be fully tight, allowing the positive cable to move (and shorting with the solenoid connector), even though the nut holding the positive cable to the starter may be tight.

Be careful with the main positive connection bolt on the solenoid, they are usually a copper bolt that can be prone to stripping if roughly treated. Tighten the connection on the rear of the solenoid (depending on starter), then using a serrated or star washer, connect the main battery cable, making sure it is secure and not able to move and short the solenoid.

Also if it is fitted with the Neiman type steering lock/ignition switch, the return spring inside the lock can fail, stopping the switch from returning back to the ON position from the START position. This can be either one of two things, either the ignition switch/lock is stuffed internally , or the rotator switch at the base of the switch is worn and malfunctioning. If it is an internal switch problem, the switch has to be replaced. However the rotator switch on the base of the ignition switch is held in place by a ring that can be removed by undoing two small screws (easier when the lock is removed from the column). If this is worn it can be replaced by itself.

Initially though, I reckon check the connections on the rear of the starter for looseness or shorting. Although also bear in mind the starter bendix and flywheel ring gear may also be damaged, so best probably to pull the starter and examine them first to check for any damage, just incase any teeth or pieces have fallen into the clutch.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

The fact that the engine is cranking with the ignition off I think points more readily to a problem with the starter being powered regardless of the ignition switch position. I would check loose/shorting wires first too.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordinowitz View Post
    Hey all, the starter in my R8 went the other day. Ordered one up from rockauto.com for an R5 and put it in. Turns over beautifully! Went driving down the road and all of the sudden... sounds like I've run over a trash can lid and I'm dragging it beneath me. Pull to the side of the road and kill the motor and find that the starter is cranking with the ignition switch off.

Ignition switch? Solenoid in my new starter?

Should I just throw it away and buy a new car?

Thoughts?
    Hope yours still has the battery isolating knob!

After you stopped, and disconnected the battery, did you have a good look at the starter and wiring?

All that is said about old Nieman switches is correct, but my experience is that they first fail in the return spring and you find you have to manually turn it back after starting. I bought a new one as soon as I had that problem. I'd be surprised if it failed when you were driving along, and in the way you've described, although I guess it isn't completely impossible!

I agree that the wiring at the starter seems more likely. Not very likely either but it did happen so something must have caused it!

When you get the next starter (which I imagine will be needed) I'd also turn the engine over with the handle and check the flywheel ring gear teeth.

Best of luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information