R21 cam spec
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R21 cam spec

Default R21 cam spec

Does anyone know the timing of a standard R21 cam???

Advertisement

Jo

Anyone?????

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Does anyone know the timing of a standard R21 cam???

Jo
    What is the engine type number?
    I have some Renault engine pdfs, it may be in there.
    spiz

Quote Originally Posted by Spiz View Post
    What is the engine type number?
    I have some Renault engine pdfs, it may be in there.
    I think its a J7T.

I have some specs from a pocket mechanic book on the R25,
    J6r j7r/j7t

Inlet 12-52 17-63
    exhaust 52-12 63-17

Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 11th July 2012 at 09:53 AM.

Numbers on my 2.2 R21 are;

J7TM755
    F274637

Yep. It all depends what valve clearance you measure at, the figures either look good or not so. I have it at home and I'll find it tonight for you. I think at 0.004" its 20/60 60/20, but I'll confirm.
    The simple way to time it is to use the studs for the rocker cover as a straight line to line up with the mark on the pulley. The pulley has 2 key ways, one dead on and one retarded.
    I seem to recall that the single notch is dead on.

To set the crank at TDC there is a 17mm bolt just behind the dist. Take that bastard out and make a tool to go through the drilling and into the notch in the crank, just made for it.
    Set valve clearances at 0.006" and she will be beeeuuudeefulll, for you!
    May I suggest that now is a good time to double check the crank pulley timing marks as well!

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    Yep. It all depends what valve clearance you measure at, the figures either look good or not so. I have it at home and I'll find it tonight for you. I think at 0.004" its 20/60 60/20, but I'll confirm.
    The simple way to time it is to use the studs for the rocker cover as a straight line to line up with the mark on the pulley. The pulley has 2 key ways, one dead on and one retarded.
    I seem to recall that the single notch is dead on.

To set the crank at TDC there is a 17mm bolt just behind the dist. Take that bastard out and make a tool to go through the drilling and into the notch in the crank, just made for it.
    Set valve clearances at 0.006" and she will be beeeuuudeefulll, for you!
    May I suggest that now is a good time to double check the crank pulley timing marks as well!
    I dont have any crank pully marks, nor do i have a double keyway cam wheel.
    A nude crank pulley and an aftermarket adjustable cam pulley is what I have.
    I do have a TDC line on the flywheel, but that flywheel is still on my daily driver so I'll have to wait until the kit is assembled on the hoist before I make a good accurate pointer for that.

Discovered that TDC slot last night and an 8mm drill backwards fits beautifully with almost no play.

At the moment the block is assembled sans pistons . Waiting for the postman is painful, so I'll give it a go at the clearance and lift specs you mentioned, Stew.

Jo

Cam Specs.
    This is for 505 2.2.
    Std cam. I did read the specs for R25 when I was doing them new and they did compare in the books. Whether that is true, I don't know.
    505 at 0.050" ( not 5 thou, but at 50 thou)
    3-40 and 40-3. That will give you the dead centre of the cam numbers. You can play once running or add 2 deg now. They work well here as an easy start! Fiddle with it after it's run in but setting it equal works very well on std higher compression engines.

1000+ Posts

Default Valve timing

Hi Jo,
    Here's some interesting sites on valve timing. The first is an old one from AF in the really good old days !!
    Note the comments already made by Stew and also by these people, that the clearance the measurement is made at, is vital as it changes the timing completely.
    You,ve got the dial gauge(we have seen it) so all you need is a degree wheel and check it out yourself. You could find one on the web I am sure and just print it out. Put it on the cam pulley and away you go.
    cheers Jaahn

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/arc...hp/t-2595.html
    http://anp.alfaspace.net/r20/news_in...0.php&id2=news
    http://stason.org/TULARC/vehicles/lo...enault-S1.html
    Last edited by jaahn; 12th July 2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: forgot to put the sites on ???

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Jo,
    Here's some interesting sites on valve timing. The first is an old one from AF in the really good old days !!
    Note the comments already made by Stew and also by these people, that the clearance the measurement is made at, is vital as it changes the timing completely.
    You,ve got the dial gauge(we have seen it) so all you need is a degree wheel and check it out yourself. You could find one on the web I am sure and just print it out. Put it on the cam pulley and away you go.
    cheers Jaahn

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/arc...hp/t-2595.html
    http://anp.alfaspace.net/r20/news_in...0.php&id2=news
    http://stason.org/TULARC/vehicles/lo...enault-S1.html
    THanks for the links, Jaahn.

I borrowed a super-duper degree wheel from a mate, so that end of things is sorted.

Jo

Thread Information