How to find an R8 Gordini?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default How to find an R8 Gordini?

I am a newbie here, and probably a very naive one! I would love to find an R8 Gordini in reasonable condition!

Now I know they are probably as scarce as hen's teeth, and everybody here is also looking for one, or has one and won't part with it at any price!

I have had 7 Renaults in my time, starting with an R8 1100 (I bought it new, I think in 1965), which is still my favourite. As well as the original R8, I have had another R8, a 750, two R12's (including a station-wagon), a 16, and a 16TS (my second-favourite).

Nowadays, we need the more practical alternative of a Prado, for those caravan trips around Oz, however I would really love to acquire an R8 Gordini, for sentimental reasons, same as most of you, I guess.

Anyway, now that you have stopped ROFL, any helpful advice?

Thanks

Rick

Advertisement

They probably come on the open market every five years or so, either by auction or sale through the media (Carsales, forums et etc). In between there are the word of mouth sales, which is how I got my car 18 odd years ago, when I wasnít really looking for one. Which seems to be how I find cars, they find me, then I get attached.

What you will have to decide is what sort of car you want. 1) A faker 8G made up from say an R8 1100, that looks the same, but modified so that it probably goes harder than an 8G. These donít have hassles where you have to decide whether you want to modify an original car, and have a lot of flexibility in what you can do with it. Or 2) An original 8G that has been modified (say either by re-shelling a bent or rusty 8G with an R8/10 shell), or something like an 8G 1100 that has been modified by replacing the two headlight panel with a four headlight 8G 1300 panel, then with other mechanical mods (There was one like this, an original R1134 with R1135 front panel and motor in the classifieds not so long ago, it must have found a new lucky owner), these also have some flexibility to add a personal touch. Or 3) an original spec 8G, there are not too many in the latter pile, a good majority having had at least a respray. I'd imagine if one of these was modded to a significant extent, some people would not be happy. :-)

Also, bear in mind they are not just a car for popping down to the shops for a bottle of milk, unless the shop is a decent drive away. They are not bad, but can become fussy if they are not given a bit of a free rein to clear the plugs every so often.

Just finding an R8 seems hard enough, so good luck finding an 8G!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Hi Rickasaurus,
    Just go to GOOGLE and type in: "Renault Gordini for sale".
    Unless you've got a lot of $$$$. the prices could put you off for life!

Cheers, Henry

Tadpole

Thanks very much Simon and Henry, for your advice. I will keep my eyes and ears open.

Cheers
    Rick

Thread Information