Considering a 1993 R19....
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Considering a 1993 R19....

Hi everyone,

We currently have an 01 Scenic (love it) and needing a second car.... we're looking at a 1993 19 hatch. What are the high and lowlights please? All comments appreciated.

This would be the 4th Renault I've owned, having grown up around 16s and other assortments of Peugeots, Volvos, SAABs and Citroens.

Thanks,

Mark

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by markb2501 View Post
    Hi everyone,

We currently have an 01 Scenic (love it) and needing a second car.... we're looking at a 1993 19 hatch. What are the high and lowlights please? All comments appreciated.

This would be the 4th Renault I've owned, having grown up around 16s and other assortments of Peugeots, Volvos, SAABs and Citroens.

Thanks,

Mark
    There a good car just avoid automatics.
    Biggest problem is parts. They were not a huge seller and parts are a little hard to find. Unlike a 306 for example that sold like hot cakes the 19 was a bit of an orphin.

If you find a good one I'm sure it'll serve you well.

Most common things we sell are alternators, radiators and heater control relays but parts demand is greater than the number of cars being wrecked.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Also they're available at give way prices by now.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Agreed. If it's an auto, run away fast.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Dash plastics dont like the sun, unlike the laguna of the same vintage which is bullet proof.

The window surround trim corrodes on some cars.
    Engine mounts are usually on their way out, or at least have been on the ones I've had. Still perfectly drivable though, you just need to be a little careful with the clutch.

The R19 is a bit of a rattle box. The one here is almost pristine but it rattles and shakes over every bump.
    As far as driving dynamics go, it feels like the steering column is made of flexible rubber and riding on 13 inch tyres, it is a very soft ride, but like most renaults, when you give it a poke and ask it to hoon a bit it rises to the occasion and for a nearly 20 year old car with a small motor, it goes remarkably well.

Jo

it'd want to be cheap

Well, it's now in the driveway, and yes, it was a reasonable price, under the asking. I can easily see the rear muffler needs replacing, and the aircon will need regassing (apparently it was done 2 years ago). There are receipts showing the servicing done for about two years - the previous owner had it for 3 years, and it was originally from Orange. I don't know how long it lived there before coming to Sydney.
    It's also recently had a new alternator put in. Starts first time, doesn't blow smoke, couldn't see oil leaks and the fan cuts in when it should
    Thanks everyone for your input. For a 19 year old car it has some rough edges but feels quite solid as a smaller vehicle. Renault knows how to get the maximum oomph out of every last cc!

1000+ Posts

Alternators are not a problem. I put in a Bosch a few years ago and it cost me $85.- with a year warranty.
    Rear engine mount needs replacing from time to time. If you don't then the other ones will break as well. Rear engine mounts are a problem for other wrongwheel drive cars as well. I think they are under $100.-
    Radiators do need replacing if you don't keep the cooling system clean. If they start leaking on the tank sides it is possible to reseal them if you are handy. Doesn't always work but i've done it. A new one is about $350.- from Ken. Front struts are reasonable as well.
    They rattle as Jo said because the fixing brackets of the dash are crap. If you want to fix the rattle you'd have to make your own brackets and bolt it together properly. Not hard but fiddly.
    Make sure the windows move freely so you don't stuff the regulator motor.
    Check the timing belt. Can be changed quite easily. Engine will last forever. Rob from Renault wreck (i think that's what he called his business, the one he sold to Dave) didn't even keep any more R19 engines because there was no call for them - he told me a few years ago.

Enjoy!
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Alternators are not a problem. I put in a Bosch a few years ago and it cost me $85.- with a year warranty.
    Rear engine mount needs replacing from time to time. If you don't then the other ones will break as well. Rear engine mounts are a problem for other wrongwheel drive cars as well. I think they are under $100.-
    Radiators do need replacing if you don't keep the cooling system clean. If they start leaking on the tank sides it is possible to reseal them if you are handy. Doesn't always work but i've done it. A new one is about $350.- from Ken. Front struts are reasonable as well.
    They rattle as Jo said because the fixing brackets of the dash are crap. If you want to fix the rattle you'd have to make your own brackets and bolt it together properly. Not hard but fiddly.
    Make sure the windows move freely so you don't stuff the regulator motor.
    Check the timing belt. Can be changed quite easily. Engine will last forever. Rob from Renault wreck (i think that's what he called his business, the one he sold to Dave) didn't even keep any more R19 engines because there was no call for them - he told me a few years ago.

Enjoy!
    Ta, I think I read on the receipts it had had a new radiator recently (in the last 18 mths), though will keep an eye on it and have it flushed out at the next service to make sure it's functioning well.
    Just insured it, and comprehensive was $12 more than TPP with Fire and Theft!! Not sure how that works but spent the extra $12....

Ohhh, and I forgot to mention the horn!! Having had my brother's Bongo (Berlingo) this week whilst they had the kids, his horn was rubbish, a blot on the French marque... the 19 has a much better sounding horn. Just as well or I would have had to upgrade to airhorns. I may still put them in and run both. It is Sydney after all (my old 505 had both and could be heard from the other side of the suburb - so I've been told).

Fellow Frogger!

Problems I had with ours:

Dash rattle - you can minimise but not eliminate
    Radiator - even with a new radiator, you have to flush frequently, maybe every 18/24 months or they clag up.
    Rear engine mount - interesting to get in
    Yes window frames corrode - silicon spray needed to help speed.
    Remove & clean injectors
    Water temp sender corroded through
    Plastics shite - that's the usual byproduct of cars 20+ years old
    Rear muffler
    Seats collapse
    Fuel pump replaced
    Rear hatch seal let in water

The above would be done on ANY car of that age so with TLC it will be a reasonable purchase.

VIP Sponsor

My advice to anyone contemplating purchasing a Renault 19 is DON'T !

Even tho I am a Renault 'Tragic' thru and thru, I would not wish a Renault 19 on anyone.

Even Renault sometimes build a 'dud' and to me Renaults most recent 'dud' was the 19.

My Dads last car, before he passed away, was a 19. I gave it away to an Aussie frogged as I wanted to avoid any embarrassment that may have later come my way, had I sold it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    My advice to anyone contemplating purchasing a Renault 19 is DON'T !

Even tho I am a Renault 'Tragic' thru and thru, I would not wish a Renault 19 on anyone.

Even Renault sometimes build a 'dud' and to me Renaults most recent 'dud' was the 19.

My Dads last car, before he passed away, was a 19. I gave it away to an Aussie frogged as I wanted to avoid any embarrassment that may have later come my way, had I sold it!

Nah, its not a dud.
    Its not up in captain legend status like a r16/r12/clio, but its not a dud.
    I bought one unsighted and it went for a year without incident, until last week when the radiaor blew up, but that was always expected so no major damage.

Everyone who sits in it passes comment about how comfy it is, and in an unremarkable way it just keeps on going.

Mark, should you need help with the car at any stage, I have the renault engine computer diagnostic tools (XR25), which takes the guess work out of diagnosing the engine sensors.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Rod, yours must have been a lemon.
    We had four over the years and no major problems. Alternator, radiator, door lock actuators and normal service items apart from the automatic transmission which is VW/Audi anyway.
    The transmission is an easy fix and the parts for it are resonably priced. Once i put an external transmission cooler on we had no more problems.
    My daughter drove one to Queensland to study up there - she had no problems.

"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Fellow Frogger!

I bought a manual about 8 years ago and it did the job for me and then a friends daughter I sold it too.Had over 220000 klms on it when I got it and finished up with around 400000 still going when it was in an accident,Required very few repairs and everyone who drove it loved the seats and ride comfort.Not the most responsive engine but overall a good car and if i needed a cheapy this would be on my list everytime.

Peter
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Have worked out highbeams don't work (it's not the fuse) so it could be the stalk/switch - though horn and parkers/lowbeams work? Have also fixed both rear interior lights now - just need to work out why they don't come on with front passenger door. Back muffler is down to its last layer of metal, will probably need to be replaced for rego, if it lasts that long. Used the car yesterday to bring home a chainsaw on a stick, I also think it's called a pole saw. With the back seat flipped down and passenger seat forward and squab laying almost horizontal I was able to get this rather long object into the car. The engine bay is relatively clean for 19 years of grime. I think the shocks might need replacing however it handles 100% better than the recent work Aurion (aka The Barge).
    The heater works well, the aircon is ho-hum, but it may need regassing..... before summer hits! Was surprised to find lumbar support on the driver's seat - nice!
    Am thinking about some wheels for it - probably 14, not sure if 15s are going to be appropriate, then again some Scenic mags would look good on it too. It has some tired Pirellis on it (P3000 and P400s - the spare is a brand new P3000), so it may need to wait till tax comes back. Hoping to come to the French Car Day on Sunday at Silverwater, and meet some of you who have provided valuable comment here.
    The Scenic is having its 150K service and climate control replaced this Saturday - my wife will appreciate the heater on these cool mornings....
    Will add more things as they come up.

Here is a car I owned with 15 inch, 40 offset,195/55/r15 tyres.

Jo

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Considering a 1993 R19....-15inch.jpg  

Administrator

I was going to suggest these, but the price seems to have taken an upward turn in the last few days...

Not sure if they have the right size tyre either (195/50R15), but if they are suitable, they are still cheap at their current price ($200).

It's local too so you won't have to worry about postage.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2003-RENA...item27c8de0ae1

Scenic ph1 wheels look nice. 15s are nice, 16s start looking a bit silly.

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

The issues with clio sport rims are they are 7 inch, heavy as anything, and a weird offset like 48mm.

I ran them on a fuego once but they sat too inboard and rubbed on the axle carrier, which could be fixed with a file.

Jo

Tadpole

i had a 5 spd 19RT for several years. i don't agree it was a dud at all, in fact i thought it a deeply competent design. yes, it had it's foibles like leaking and it ate clutch cables nearly as regularly as my fiat/abarth strada 130tc, (which is saying something !) but given that renault had finally been forced to give away the superior n/s fwd layout it wasn't bad for what essentially became the blueprint for the megane 1. it was certainly prettier (in phase2 guise) than its immediate descendant !

one thing i did that really brought out the best in the chassis beyond the obvious 185/60 14" fitment was delightfully simple- i changed the steering wheel......a wrecker in the uk,via ebay yielded the pukka part-leather 3 spoke item from a phase1 16v sport model. the improvement in grip over the slithery, standard jobby gave more confident feedback at the helm.

"wasn't life simple then ?" says the laguna II owner part of me.......

I had an automatic R19 and it was a fantastic car. I loved it and thought it was very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by La Regie (bis) View Post
    i had a 5 spd 19RT for several years. i don't agree it was a dud at all, in fact i thought it a deeply competent design. yes, it had it's foibles like leaking and it ate clutch cables nearly as regularly as my fiat/abarth strada 130tc, (which is saying something !) but given that renault had finally been forced to give away the superior n/s fwd layout it wasn't bad for what essentially became the blueprint for the megane 1. it was certainly prettier (in phase2 guise) than its immediate descendant !

one thing i did that really brought out the best in the chassis beyond the obvious 185/60 14" fitment was delightfully simple- i changed the steering wheel......a wrecker in the uk,via ebay yielded the pukka part-leather 3 spoke item from a phase1 16v sport model. the improvement in grip over the slithery, standard jobby gave more confident feedback at the helm.

"wasn't life simple then ?" says the laguna II owner part of me.......
    Funny you should say that, I think a fuego wheel is a good choice to!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

Had Fuego wheels on mine.
    They need a 3mm spacer on the front (at least mine did) to clear the caliper, wasn't willing to grind mine.
    Rear fit no problem - no clearance issues front or rear.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information