Renault key cards
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault key cards

Does anybody else dislike the key cards , especially when you have 2 cards on the one keyring.

Advertisement

Why would you have two cards on the one ring? I thought one card would be a spare to be kept in a safe place for when the first one ends up malfunctioning.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

One Koleos card and a Scenic card on the one keyring to avoid having the wrong keys when You want the other . I just think they could have been half the size. Smaller in your pocket too.

I prefer them to bulky keys. They sit flat in your pocket even though they are bigger.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Love/hate. Really great in some ways (sits flat, no sharp pointy bit) bad in others (very plasticky, awkward to put on keyrings).

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

Fellow Frogger!

If they are the same type/profile cards, you could get each car programmed to work off the same card perhaps?

i.e. Get your Koleos to accept the Scenic card.(or vice versa)

Talk to your Renno dealer and ask the question.

Different profiles , they do not fit in each others slot .

Fellow Frogger!

The key card/start-stop button is an annoying and inconvenient gimmick that I could well do without.
    It shows that whatever is old is soon 'new' again. Our 1948 Ford on the farm had a starter button in the dash. So had several other 'old' cars that I have owned, including several British cars from the fifties and sixties.
    It is much easier with the 'old fashioned' key: key in, twist, go! A one handed simple movement.
    The card/button combination needs two movements unless you have the up-market 'proximity' card that you can just keep in your pocket. It is disappointing that the Koleos does not come with the 'proximity' card, except in the most expensive models. Other makes have a 'proximity' key for even their base models, eg Mazda CX5, VW Tiguan etc. Besides all that, I think the card is clumsy and too large compared to the normal (old!) remote key, and fiddly because while the old key had just one button to lock/unlock, the new card has two, which are difficult to locate in the dark, plus another button for the headlights and yet another button for the boot. Not at all 'user friendly' and quite unnecessary.

Mac

If one of us has a moderate front-on prang and walks away on an unharmed right knee joint, we can probably thank the ignition card for that!

I like my card, I love turning on the "see you home" feature leaving the building in darkness, and "there's my car" in the car-park. I carry my car card on it's own, separate from all my other keys. When I get in the car, the card goes in the slot, all the other keys go in the drink holder until the ride's over.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I don't have a card type key but can't understand why you'd have both on one ring anyway.
    When married, we had a separate set of keys for each car,a s we drove separate cars most time and only used mine as the family car, as it was larger.
    Surely, as you go to leave the house, just grab the corresponding key for that particular vehicle.
    Recently have driven 2 card equipped Renaults, didn't find the stop/start button an issue.

Also, I am all for this concept, if it were to save your knee i n an accident.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    Also, I am all for this concept, if it were to save your knee i n an accident.
    Each time I read a similar comment to the above I have a little chuckle. After taking my non-keycard equipped Clio for a quick post-bath spin to dry it off earlier, I reckon if you were involved in an incident where the old-skool key endangered the knee, the other injuries likely incurred would make such an injury the least of your worries.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Each time I read a similar comment to the above I have a little chuckle. After taking my non-keycard equipped Clio for a quick post-bath spin to dry it off earlier, I reckon if you were involved in an incident where the old-skool key endangered the knee, the other injuries likely incurred would make such an injury the least of your worries.
    Have to say that knee injuries in this study only came up 5.8%:

http://journals.lww.com/jtrauma/Abst...German.22.aspx

The real key injury problem stems from those inserting the key!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Fair call.

What about clutz injuries from keys?? Those of us clumsy enough to belt knee on key if it's left in the ignition
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

I find Megane keycard a "one action" device esseentially - slide it with your forefingers and punch the button with your thumb at the same time.

Maybe its one and a half actions, if you slide in the card and then punch the button as the hand is withdrawn.

Personally i think they're just different, no better or worse than a normal key. Would be better if the proximity functions were working in australia..

I prefer them to 'normal' keys. Less bulky. Location of key slot doesn't bother me at all.

Start Button is almost fool proof.
    Last edited by BlueyZarzov; 9th July 2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Terrible typing

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    What about clutz injuries from keys?? Those of us clumsy enough to belt knee on key if it's left in the ignition
    You must perform some unusual activities if you can get your knee in that gap. :-)

OK, I guess I should have clarified my earlier comment that it only relates to recent car design. Where generally, and recent Renaults in particular, the ignition key is fairly well shielded from knee impact. Unlike earlier models, like the R4 and R10, where if the rigid steering column doesn't get you, the exposed and rigid steel key and ignition lock is well placed to give at least one of the old knees a neat and nasty injury.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Tadpole

If you have a proximity card put it on a lanyard and hang around your neck like an ID card. Helps prevent losing it which can be very expensive. warmth, Jon.

I got a spare card and emergeny key

Thread Information