R8 Paint Colour - Cosmic Blue
  • Register
  • Help

Default R8 Paint Colour - Cosmic Blue

Hi All

Advertisement

My R8 was painted some years ago by a previous owner and inside the boot there is a small paint label, looks like it came from the paint tin, which states BALM Paint - Cosmic Blue.

I have searched high and low for a Colour Code number for this paint and can't find any info on this colour at all, I don't even know if 'Cosmic Blue' is an original colour for a 1964 R8 1100.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks guys

Cheers

phil

That's the original factory sticker - black writing on a silver shiny background?

Cosmic Blue is certainly the original blue and paint supplier for a 64 R8 1100.

I may have a paint code. Will search over the weekend.

EDIT - I have the '63 paint codes, not the '64 unfortunately. Simon would have them I'm sure.

KB
    Last edited by renault8&10; 29th June 2012 at 10:08 PM.
    KB

Here are a couple of sheets which include Cosmic Blue

Bob G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 Paint Colour - Cosmic Blue-paint-codes-renault-1964.jpg   R8 Paint Colour - Cosmic Blue-paint-codes-renault-1964-65.jpg  

Cosmic Blue is indeed an original colour for the R8 1100, and the foil label inside the boot would have been placed there when the car was built. Despite being one of the best colours, it was from the Instafade range, and faded prematurely.

The Dulux/Duco (decendents of BALM) paint code is 6764. Probably only a code recognised by a really old skool paint mixer.

The mixing formula is:
    Tinter 1012 Setting 130
    Tinter 1021 Setting 231
    Tinter 1019 Setting 372
    Tinter 1018 Setting 391
    Tinter 1016 Setting 500.

Be careful ordering touch-up paint by code, as rarely will it match, especially if the car has been refinished. Take the car (or a piece of it) for the paint to be matched fairly accurately by a decent paint shop.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Default R8 Paint Cosmic Blue

Thanks KB

Your right, black writing on a silver shiny background. definately.

Looks like I am geting info in now. Thanks again

Phil

Default R8 Cosmic Blue

Thank you Simon.

I will take your advice on taking a painted piece to a tech paint shoip for a match, and thanks for the tint numbers this might also help them.

No doubt about it, ask a question on aussiefrogs and I'm amazed at the info that is around.

Thanks again Simon

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by BOB750 View Post
    Here are a couple of sheets which include Cosmic Blue

Bob G
    You're home then! And well-rested we hope.

Do you have parallel sheets for Trinidad Red for a 1964 R1130?

Forgive slight hijack but closely related subject.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Cosmic Blue is indeed an original colour for the R8 1100, and the foil label inside the boot would have been placed there when the car was built. Despite being one of the best colours, it was from the Instafade range, and faded prematurely.

The Dulux/Duco (decendents of BALM) paint code is 6764. Probably only a code recognised by a really old skool paint mixer.

The mixing formula is:
    Tinter 1012 Setting 130
    Tinter 1021 Setting 231
    Tinter 1019 Setting 372
    Tinter 1018 Setting 391
    Tinter 1016 Setting 500.

Be careful ordering touch-up paint by code, as rarely will it match, especially if the car has been refinished. Take the car (or a piece of it) for the paint to be matched fairly accurately by a decent paint shop.
    Hello Simon, and this reminds me that you might know why mine never had a paint colour indication that I could find, despite never being repainted. Or maybe I've never looked in the right place?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hi John,

Yes, we arrived back on Thursday. Still in recovery mode.

The 63-64 sheet refers to the 61-62 sheet which has the codes.

The colour card doesn't have mixes for Trinadad Red.

Hope this helps.

Bob G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 Paint Colour - Cosmic Blue-paint-codes-renault-1963-64.jpg   R8 Paint Colour - Cosmic Blue-paint-codes-renault-1961-62.jpg   R8 Paint Colour - Cosmic Blue-paint-codes-1963-renault-1.jpg   R8 Paint Colour - Cosmic Blue-paint-codes-1963-renault-2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BOB750 View Post
    Hi John,

Yes, we arrived back on Thursday. Still in recovery mode.

The 63-64 sheet refers to the 61-62 sheet which has the codes.

The colour card doesn't have mixes for Trinadad Red.

Hope this helps.

Bob G
    Thanks for that.

They should have called it "Instant Fade Red" judging by what the first owner told me!

Take it easy - the first week is the worst.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Hello Simon, and this reminds me that you might know why mine never had a paint colour indication that I could find, despite never being repainted. Or maybe I've never looked in the right place?
    My 1964 build R4 van doesn't have a paint code label, and many earlier AUS assembled Renaults also seem to be "missing" a label. Perhaps they only placed them on cars after a certain build date. I do know that a red R8 R1130 (second dash, 90mph speedo) I looked at and passed on ages ago had a BALM foil label with Carnation Red printed on the label. It would have been identical in colour to your car, so whether it was an incorrect label is unknown.

The only BALM foil label I've seen with a numeric paint code as opposed to just a paint colour name is the one on my white R4. Certainly the same colour paints were used on other marques of cars with different names, such as the 8G Daffodil Yellow being the same as the Warwick Yellow used on HK Monaros. Perhaps that was the case with the Carnation Red car, and it had an incorrect paint colour (without code) on the label.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

My 1964 build R4 van doesn't have a paint code label, and many earlier AUS assembled Renaults also seem to be "missing" a label. Perhaps they only placed them on cars after a certain build date. I do know that a red R8 R1130 (second dash, 90mph speedo) I looked at and passed on ages ago had a BALM foil label with Carnation Red printed on the label. It would have been identical in colour to your car, so whether it was an incorrect label is unknown.

The only BALM foil label I've seen with a numeric paint code as opposed to just a paint colour name is the one on my white R4. Certainly the same colour paints were used on other marques of cars with different names, such as the 8G Daffodil Yellow being the same as the Warwick Yellow used on HK Monaros. Perhaps that was the case with the Carnation Red car, and it had an incorrect paint colour (without code) on the label.
    Thanks Simon,

I do know of three red R1130s in Adelaide, ours bought in 1973 from John Williams, another that I wrecked (and still have the konis) in about 1975 and one other I saw driving in Norwood about the same time. I'm still trying to remember why I think mine is Trinidad Red, and I guess I have the orginal papers deep in a file somewhere......

I think you're right, that they got their act together later on. Mine doesn't have an embossed build number either.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

<snip>
    such as the 8G Daffodil Yellow being the same as the Warwick Yellow used on HK Monaros. Perhaps that was the case with the Carnation Red car, and it had an incorrect paint colour (without code) on the label.
    Apropos of nothing much, I am reminded of two glorious GMH names for yellow paint, to wit: 'Wattle she do' & 'Yunder Chellow'. Peter

Thread Information