Megane engine mounts
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Megane engine mounts

I dropped the C4 in to day for a roadworthy.... And got chatting to the mechanic there. He had one of those "Renault Megan" things come in on a flat tray. It was making really bad knocking noises.

So he jumped in to drive it around the block and see what the noises were................. and .................. The motor fell out on the road while he was moving along it separated the driveshaft joints and everything.

So listen up, if your megane breaks it's engine mounts... the engine must no longer be contained And will fall out! Bloody hell, every citroen I've owned with destroy the rubber in the mounts, but the engine stays contained, it's just rattles and bounces around like buggery

seeya,
    Shane L.

Advertisement
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Sounds like BS to me. Not possible with rubber breakages. Bolts would need to be severed.

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

I've seen a megane sever the top TH bolt, even have a picture of it somewhere. Engine didn't "fall out" though....bit hard to fall out when it can't fit through the lower subframe....
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Top RH bolt....
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Fellow Frogger!

Those who know, will always replace the East - West bolt when the mount is replaced.
    They do fatigue and can snap without warning.

BUT I think the engine falling out of the car is B.S. too.
    Too many other bits and pieces to keep it at least somewhere in the engine bay.

AND you have to ask WHAT this supposed mechanic was attempting to achieve with
    what would have to be a BRUTAL test drive. There are other more sensible ways to
    diagnose bad noises...

YEAH I personally hate V8 dinosaurs, and I bet I could destroy some or all of the driveline
    if iI were to drive it with hatred....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Those who know, will always replace the East - West bolt when the mount is replaced.
    They do fatigue and can snap without warning.

BUT I think the engine falling out of the car is B.S. too.
    Too many other bits and pieces to keep it at least somewhere in the engine bay.

AND you have to ask WHAT this supposed mechanic was attempting to achieve with
    what would have to be a BRUTAL test drive. There are other more sensible ways to
    diagnose bad noises...

YEAH I personally hate V8 dinosaurs, and I bet I could destroy some or all of the driveline
    if iI were to drive it with hatred....
    He said it was delivered with terrbile noises on a fllat tray. He reckoned the owners lived up a bush track that would make a 4wd gulp hard.... And they were driving this car up 'n' down it. I tend to believe the motor "fell out" as he suggested as he even stated the driveshafts came apart at the joints etc....

Dunno how it's possible, but it must have happened Sounds like they backed it off the truck and tried to drive it around the block to get an idea of the "awful sounds" it was making, but didn't make it.

It's a RWC testing place. They'd have all sorts through, he said they had a V6 407 through recently (and he said it was a heap of sh!t to work on ..... It probably is Especially if it was a V6 HDi squeezed in there).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Come on Shane. You've spent enough time under your heaps of shit to know that an engine can't fall out onto the road. Even if that could happen, the firewall and passenger compartment wouldn't take kindly to 100kg plus of engine and transmission suddenly appearing on the tarmac...

Seems to me to be an urban myth, where the listener is supposed to a) say "Wowwwww!" and b) retort with, "Typical French shit".

I say bullshit!

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

My sons Megane top engine mount and the noise was such you probably shouldn't drive it. But engine fall out don't think so.

http://renaultinaus.17.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=586

Fellow Frogger!

Shane,

My advice is DON'T LET THAT MOB TOUCH YOUR CAR!

Look at the Holden, Ford and Toyota forums

Probably see some great yarns about what they did to some (not you) mug's Citroen...
    Last edited by Steve K; 28th June 2012 at 09:29 AM.

What Steve said. Mechanics that give a sh!t and/or care are awefully rare. Mechanics that thinks its cool/funny to trash customer cars depresseningly common.

Should have said to someone on the phone the other day that only two people on this planet will ever lay a finger on the timing belt on my Megane, and they're talking to each other....

Oh gee's,

there actually known for sheering off engine mount bolts . Well that makes sense, pretend someone that knows little about cars is beating one up and down a 4wd track to there house each day .... they break the top engine mount bolts, yet continue to drive (for possibly even months) until the other mounting bolts eventually fatigue and break off.....

They finally call a flat tray the day all the bolt fatigue and break off because of the "horific banging noises" under the bonnet

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Oh gee's,

there actually known for sheering off engine mount bolts . Well that makes sense, pretend someone that knows little about cars is beating one up and down a 4wd track to there house each day .... they break the top engine mount bolts, yet continue to drive (for possibly even months) until the other mounting bolts eventually fatigue and break off.....

They finally call a flat tray the day all the bolt fatigue and break off because of the "horific banging noises" under the bonnet

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Is it possible that the car has had several big impacts underneath and snapped all the subframe bolts causing the whole sub frame (engine/gearbox and all) to fall onto the road?

That would be rather catastrophic...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I dropped the C4 in to day for a roadworthy.... And got chatting to the mechanic there. He had one of those "Renault Megan" things come in on a flat tray. It was making really bad knocking noises.

So he jumped in to drive it around the block and see what the noises were................. and .................. The motor fell out on the road while he was moving along it separated the driveshaft joints and everything.

So listen up, if your megane breaks it's engine mounts... the engine must no longer be contained And will fall out! Bloody hell, every citroen I've owned with destroy the rubber in the mounts, but the engine stays contained, it's just rattles and bounces around like buggery

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I'd love to see the evidence of any of it. Anyone know what "hearsay" is?
    It's something that isn't allowed in court. If you can't provide evidence of the "alleged" incident, perhaps you could impress members with these kinds of anecdotes by putting them in the Humour section.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    If you can't provide evidence of the "alleged" incident, perhaps you could impress members with these kinds of anecdotes by putting them in the Humour section.....
    Oi! It's the humour section, not the "convenient place to dump an argument that doesn't fit elsewhere" section. We have a toad pond for that!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tells us the rest of the story Shane.
    What happened after the engine fell out. Did he stop and pick it up or keep driving round the block pretending nothing happened
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

UFO

Yeah, to revitalise a phrase "pics or ban!"
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I was just impressed he new what a renault megane was let alone could tell a story about one..... I don't think there is even one living in ballarat!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information