Renault Promotion Classic Style.
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Renault Promotion Classic Style.

At a recent visit to the Classic Renault workshop the manager(?) said that Renault had decided not have a formal museum for it's 750 - 800 car collection but to send selected classic cars to various events, and especially events sponsored by Renault. So Goodwood and the like. Renault runs events in various parts of Europe and sends appropriate cars from their collection to these events. Competition cars that have won at some time in the past are rebuilt and prepared for the classic track/rally, to be driven by world class drivers that once competed in these cars. Some of the non competitive vehicles are taken to appropriate static or rolling displays.

It was quite noticeable that the workshop use had changed. When I was there in 2009 it was mostly a display of interesting vehicles and as I understood it the staff were mostly volunteers. Only a few bays were taken up with restoration work. This time, work in rebuilding the Le mans winning Alpine as well as an R5 turbo rally car was in full swing. As he said it is essential that the cars are in as good a working condition for these events as they were when they actively competed.

I got the opportunity to speak with the manager via Alain and I asked "Would they send a car, say Alpine 110 or R5 turbo, to an event in Australia like the Targa Tasmania. I told him that Mercedes and Porsche had sent cars to Australia for various events".

His comment was that Australia did not have a big enough potential market for Classic Renault to fund this type of promotional activity. China and India were locations where this type of promotion might be considered to be worth the great cost involved.

He commented that if some one funded the air cargo costs to Australia say 70,000 EUR he would be prepared to fund the drivers and the staff.

They were also restoring some rather interesting vehicles such as a Nervasport, and a Fregate Cabriolet. I guess as we were there on a week day that the staff were paid Renault staff. What was surprising was that he had a staff of, if I remember correctly, 15 or was it 11. Only 6 were mechanics and 5 were marketing and promotional staff. Some one correct me if those figures are wrong.

We certainly got a chance to take photographs and in some cases sit in interesting cars but the atmosphere was different. Previously there was a large number of staff to show and talk about each vehicle, start them up, show engines etc. This time with the exception of the manager the staff were heads down and backside up.

To us in Australia this change it is a bit disappointing as our only chance to see a large number of these interesting Renault vehicles is now gone. It is now reduced to a one off visit to Goodwood or the like where only one or two may be displayed. I believe Alain had a lot of difficulty convincing them to let us visit the workshop. We could not see the 750 - 800 other cars as you must walk through the factory and a new model was on the assembly line so visitors were banned at this time. Perhaps that was the last chance for any of us to see the place.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

interessant mais quel dommage
    Peter

Fellow Frogger!

As a matter of fact, A110's and R5 Turbos have competed in Targa Tasmania
    and other events in the hands of Australian privateers - GOOD ON THEM!
    These dedicated enthusiasts spend a lot of money, time and energy to get there.

Sure it would be great to see historic works competition cars and their notable drivers
    entered.

We are the third biggest market for Megane RS 250's behind France and Germany, so
    if we are to see any Renault funded promotion, it's likely to be in that direction.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post

We are the third biggest market for Megane RS 250's behind France and Germany, so
    if we are to see any Renault funded promotion, it's likely to be in that direction.
    Probably logical from Renaults point of view but also from a different budget. No doubt Classic Renault have a separate budget which is justified by them doing promotional activities with the vehicles they have.

Jaguar has a similar set up with its large collection of vehicles. They were all on display in Coventry at the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Museum. Now that Browns Lane has been demolished for a housing estate the museum needs a new home and that looks like not happening. Some cars are displayed at the British Transport museum. They also send cars to events like Goodwood and some of them you can hire yourself. It would appear like Renault it is too expensive to house the cars in a museum for public display. Maybe they should farm them out to enthusiast's to care for. I would have no problem looking after a R5 Turbo or A110 or even both for them.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

1000+ Posts

Maybe they should farm them out to enthusiast's to care for.
    A friend of mine in France has probably the biggest collection of Renaults in private hands and has a nice museum where he displays 32 of them. I think he could easily build another lot of display space if that was a chance.

I would like the Nevasport that's restoration was almost completed. Incidentally they are quite large cars. Photos soon as my cameras have been sent from France. Although there should have been plenty taken by the 32 strong Australian contingent.

Sunroof, how did you score such a visit? Do you work for Renault here?

I think the manager's logic contradicts the suggestion that being the third RS Megane market will make us interesting (and I don't think we're in front of the UK, but who knows?). RS Meganes and I guess to some extent the entire RS range is a niche segment that does not really need any marketing as it sells in diminutive numbers and it sells itself. How many RS26s did we have ? 25? 26? 50? Anyway, they were all sold before landing here, so what's the point? What they need is to get the average bogan to buy their cars and we all know that ain't happenin'. Just think of it. Trying to sell a bogan a car they despise by default drawing on a history of success in competitions they never heard of?

Off to India!
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    A friend of mine in France has probably the biggest collection of Renaults in private hands and has a nice museum where he displays 32 of them. I think he could easily build another lot of display space if that was a chance.

I would like the Nevasport that's restoration was almost completed. Incidentally they are quite large cars. Photos soon as my cameras have been sent from France. Although there should have been plenty taken by the 32 strong Australian contingent.
    Yes indeed. Here it is. Seriously gorgeous car.

Lots of photos of course, but back at work and time needed for editing and resizing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Promotion Classic Style.-1925-ish-nervasport-sml.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

There was 32 Australians there not just me. I am a member of the Floride Caravelle Club of France, among other clubs, and in 2009 they had a 13 day rally to commemorate 50 years since marketing of the first Floride. I attended in a borrowed car. Then I invited some French here for the 4CV register gathering with an added tour in 2011. The French then invited us back and so 32 Aussies took up the offer. Part of the first tour included what was the Historic and Classic Renault (or something similar) and now is re named Classic Renault workshop. I asked could we revisit the workshop and the collection of 750 - 800 cars. We only managed the workshop. Still a great morning.

Alas.

I tried to enliven the Renault classic brand into to Australian history by entering for four times in the Tasmania Targa with Kermit the 1956 4CV.

The 4CV had competed in the Monti Carlo Rally of only 48 hours while the Targa Tasmania is over 6 days.

We tried but little was achieved.

Stop beating your chests and support us with commitment.

Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    ahead of the UK???

Fellow Frogger!

Quoting Wheels June edition article on Megane RS265 by John Carey;

"Through the first quarter of 2012, Australia was the third biggest market in the world for the Megane RS, beaten only by France and Germany, and ahead of the UK."

Granted, probably the only order from Renault OZ for the whole year, so overall statistic is a little skewed.

On a recent visit to the "Alpine" Dieppe factory where RS's are screwed together, I was shown a batch of Megs on the production line destined for OZ. I was apologetic to my tour guide as to the paltry market here.
    To my surprise at the time, I was told "NO NO NO! Zee Australie orders are good - see zee udder orders zere - in much smaller numbers for dee oothere countrees - vee are veree happee wiz Australee.."

My deep seated hope is that when and if an Alpine 110-50 road car is planned for production, the above is considered seriously in speccing an Aussie version..
    Last edited by Steve K; 27th June 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Thread Information