Fuego heater tap
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Fuego heater tap

Are Fuego heater taps fixable? Mine on my Fuego Turbo leaks at the shaft which goes in and out when you use the heater cable. Looks like it might be a throw away item? Can't find anything in the history on this subject.

Advertisement

bazzamac

If you are good working with plastic....Maybe.
    The trick is finding the right size o-rings

Fellow Frogger!

Tks Jo - will try that.

bazzamac

1000+ Posts

bazzamac

For whats its worth, I always replace the heater taps with a new one from Caravelle, but its still a weak design and prone to leaking after a short while (though my last one is doing o.k.)* see below

I have wondered if one could be cast up in brass, or the internals made like the old tapered gas valves to give completely variable flow manually.

As it is on my car, the internal adjustment lever lug that operates the wire cable is broken off, so the heater tap is * manually kept open or closed by a simple rubber band. The tap is less likely to leak in the fully open or fully closed position.

Not purist, just practical!

Regards

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Success. Found a rubber "O" ring amongst my stuff that was the right size and that did the job. As a backup though, and in relation to your suggestion Ken, I bought a universal heater tap from Autopro for $18 and it is all metal (looks like tin alloy) and it works fine (in fact have used the same one to work the heater in my A110) but some fiddling would be required to have it worked by the cable from inside as the tap lever is the reverse to the Fuego variety and it has no bend ie straight through flow. I have kept it to one side just in case the standard tap gives up the ghost again.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    ...... I bought a universal heater tap from Autopro for $18 and it is all metal (looks like tin alloy) and it works fine (in fact have used the same one to work the heater in my A110) but some fiddling would be required to have it worked by the cable from inside as the tap lever is the reverse to the Fuego variety and it has no bend ie straight through flow. I have kept it to one side just in case the standard tap gives up the ghost again.
    good tap, used one for years in the r20, not the same as the Fug though, the r20 had a weird two outlet design that I just Siamesed. And, yep, the lever arm goes the wrong way there as well, so it showed hot inside for cold and vice versa - easy enough to live with in a French car Wouldn't suit the Fug this way though with the heater flat chat and you're lucky enough to have a working AC.

A bit of blacksmithing would have fixed the problem but I didn't worry about it. Should be fine on the Fug, 90 elbows are easy enough to source, garden plastic is cheap to play with, plumbers copper is also cheap, however the brass ones allow lots of options for screw in various sized hose connectors.

BTW, I have a little bit of ordinary grease on my original (?) Fug tap which sorted out the stickyness problem - that broke Ken's lever I guess.

cheers,
    Bob

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

BTW, I have a little bit of ordinary grease on my original (?) Fug tap which sorted out the stickyness problem - that broke Ken's lever I guess.

cheers,
    Bob
    The levers usually break when you try to force them when in fact it is usually a stiffness in the heater cable itself that is the problem. I usually detach the cable from the heater tap and then work it in and out with pointy nose pliers and some singer sewing machine oil slowly dripping into the cable from the heater tap end. Once the cable is running freely then reconnect to the heater tap and you should have no trouble for quite some time.

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Weak points to be overcome...

Bob and Baz

The lever bits were broken on my car when I bought it at 40K + and I do have some good replacements, plus brand new wire connectors. But as usual I just need to get "a round-tuit" and the design/plastic components are not that good. Have often mused at recreating the levers and spigot in metal for longevity but that "round-tuit" gets further away as I age!

Its a bit of a dog to replace the unit, and I don't like doing anything twice, (once was once, a challenge!! but as you grow older only a consideration) so still pondering, have time will procrastinate.....

Ken

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Just for the record, I did try to get a tap from Caravelle but they were not in stock. Fortunately, mine seems to have cured itself - probably from actually having to use it!

Alastair

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair Browne View Post
    Just for the record, I did try to get a tap from Caravelle but they were not in stock. Fortunately, mine seems to have cured itself - probably from actually having to use it!

Alastair
    A good one will do that.

Jo

Thread Information