R20 or Fuego in Brisbane?
  • Register
  • Help

Default R20 or Fuego in Brisbane?

G'day all,

As research for an upcoming engine conversion, I'm trying to get a feel for the 2.0 litre engines used in the Renault 20 and Fuego as a comparison to the 2.2 litre version used in the Peugeot 505 (and R21 and R25).

I don't suppose anyone would have one of these in Brisbane that would mind taking me for a ride in them to evaluate the smoothness and power of them in comparison to the 2.2?

Advertisement

It would be much appreciated!
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Coming down to sydney???

I dont live in brissy, but I can give some impressions that might be of interest.

I've done a few hundred thousand Km on the 2l so that is my standard.
    Carb or efi they all go the same at full noise.

The 2.2s I've driven have been for shorish times, but my impressions of them is it was like an xd 4.1 falcon, getting weazy at fun revs, about 4k rpm.
    They pull well, but so what, so does a diesel truck, and each are abut as much fun as eachother.
    I'm super sensitive to engine balance vibrations and the 2.2 has plenty of them.

Then I laid my hands on a peugnault 2.2, balanced internals, unknown reground cam, lightened flywheel and sequential injection and my whole opinion of these motors changed by the time I was in 3rd gear and way way way over the speed limit.
    The thing reved as smooth as a 2l, and hit a 6200rpm rev limiter no worries, just a whole stack quicker than a 2L.

One little measure of difference in absence of anything else more scientific....
    It was running a camira twin choke throttle, with a large secondary but rather small primary, and just driving around not being a hoon, the small choke was ample for any of the hills around here.
    It has a mechanism where you can clearly feel the end of the first choke and you have to push harder for the second choke to open.
    When you pushed the accelerator past the first choke, it was like Yo vtec kicking in.
    The difference was huge and the second choke always brought a smile to my face.

Then that motor went a little nuts and I put a new standard cam 2l donk in. Same inlet, efi etc
    The poor old 2l just didn't come close to the balls of the 2.2.
    Opening the 1st choke was not enough for daily driving, and was realy only a light cruise option.
    Then when the second choke was opened, it didn't make much difference to the pace of things, and whilst it sounds cool to go WOT, its certainly doesn't have that Yo Vteck just kicked in vibe like the 2.2.

I was always a critic of the 2.2 and sold on the 2.0, but that few hours in the balanced 2.2 changed all that.

Good luck with the choice.

Jo

Tadpole

Default Fuego drive

Mate I'm not in Brisbane but Tweed is not far down the coast. I have a Fuego with a 20 engine and you can drive it any time your in the area.

Are there any R20 left? There are no R18 left that's for sure....

Thanks Jo, some interesting information there. I had considered using a 2.2 with a balance, but I'm trying to avoid spending much money on the engine. I am not after power in this application, rather smoothness is the key. It will also be automatic. But a sense of effortlessness to cruise around town would be very nice. So I don't want something that has to rev alot to get going, I'd prefer something torquey low down, hence the attraction of the 2.2.

I believe the R20 has a slightly higher compression ratio than the Fuego version, and I'm wondering how much difference that actually makes. So kb1565, your offer could be perfect for comparing the R20 and Feugo engines, if I can find a standard Fuego for comparison. This will eliminate the final drive and weight differences between the Fuego and R20. Thanks for the offer! I'll let you know if I'm in your area!
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Tadpole

My engine has dome pistons where as Fuego's to my knowledge has flat tops. I doubt it really makes much difference, but could be wrong.
    This engine torque,s but does not rev like a 16 engine so together with a automatic could be what your after.

KB

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

the r20 with an auto is a slug and a money pit, the Fug with the standard 2L goes much harder but is lighter and encumbered with mountains of anti-pollution rubbish. The r20 h/c motor gives minimal extra horses.

The v6 conversion would be much more interesting, there were a few around at one time.

cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    So I don't want something that has to rev alot to get going, I'd prefer something torquey low down, hence the attraction of the 2.2.
    Sounds like a no contest then.

I believe the R20 has a slightly higher compression ratio than the Fuego version, and I'm wondering how much difference that actually makes.
    I'd have een able to tell you, but I dropped a piston and cracked the skirt.

Jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

basic specs from Aussie handbook attached. As to the difference all this made, info here suggests....

r20
    110bhp @ 5500rpm
    127.5lbft @ 3000rpm

Fuego
    77.5kW @ 5000rpm [104hp]
    154Nm @ 3000rpm [114Nm]

Without looking it all up, I seem to recall that the r20 also had a tiny bit more valve overlap than the Fuego.

These two engines stradded the time zone where we became all pure, were that not so we would have no doubt had the r20 dirty engine in our Fugs - wait a bit longer and we would have had the r21 and Jo would have had nothing to occupy his mind for the last couple of years....

And, the V6 monster http://www.renaultclubqld.com.au/doc...Fugeo%20V6.pdf

cheers,
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R20 or Fuego in Brisbane?-fuego-004.jpg   R20 or Fuego in Brisbane?-r20ausupp-006.jpg  

Thread Information