Dim dipped headlights on 07 Megane
  • Help

Default Dim dipped headlights on 07 Megane

I recently did some night driving in the country and found the light from the dipped headlights to be woefully inadequate. I resorted to using the fog lights, which was an improvement, but they don't throw very far and may be illegal to use when the conditions don't require them.

Whenever I flicked over to high beam the difference was enormous. The high beams were awesome. I don't think I've ever driven a car that had such a difference between dipped and high beam.

Is there something wrong with the electrics on this Megane? I did some web searches, and there are some others complaining about this issue, but it is hard to know if this is a normal situation, or a fault has crept in. If this is the normal level of light I will be looking into replacement bulbs, as the dipped setting is really far too dim.

Advertisement

I hate to think what you would have made of a set of 6V Cibie headlights on my R4, or worse still, the 35W x 6V globes in an early Volkswagen. If you are having difficulty seeing where you are going on dipped beam, may I suggest a lower power high beam, or having your headlights or your eyes adjusted. The low beam power is set by legislation and if they are not aimed properly you won't see much, anyway. You may also have high power high beams which are providing a huge contrast between high and low beam.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

So many cars have overbright low beams that the correct brightness does seem dim. My wife drives at night a fair bit and was complaining about the low beams on our 07 megane. When we had it in at collier's for some work they adjusted the low beam a bit higher for us, it improved things a lot. Now we can use the height adjustment roller on the rhs of the dash to get a good angle. All those cars driving with their foglights on only make the oncoming glare worse these days.
    Renault Megane sedan dCi 1.9 2007

David Brown 1973 885 synchromesh tractor.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1995

Honda sh150i scooter 2008

Are they pointing sky high by any chance??
    Are the mains working or are the parking lights just realy bright.
    Does your car have in cabin height adjustment of the lights like most renaults???

Start with good focus before you start work on the brightness.

I've had fixed lights before that were simply out of aim.
    It seems panel beaters these days dont take the time to make sure this is sorted after a colision repair.

Its not rocket science but can be a PITA if you have to shim the lamp enclosure.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by aidan View Post
    I recently did some night driving in the country and found the light from the dipped headlights to be woefully inadequate. I resorted to using the fog lights, which was an improvement, but they don't throw very far and may be illegal to use when the conditions don't require them.

Whenever I flicked over to high beam the difference was enormous. The high beams were awesome. I don't think I've ever driven a car that had such a difference between dipped and high beam.

Is there something wrong with the electrics on this Megane? I did some web searches, and there are some others complaining about this issue, but it is hard to know if this is a normal situation, or a fault has crept in. If this is the normal level of light I will be looking into replacement bulbs, as the dipped setting is really far too dim.
    What type of lens material are the headlights made of Acrylic or glass?

Is the lens on the front of the headlight clear or does it have focusing flutes?

If it's the former a good quality HID conversion may be an option. Osram is the main OEM supplier and the HID lamps are generally 3200k . Anything higher in color temperature tends to cause issues

The manual headlight height adjustment will let you keep the beams down to a non glare height.

Kim will undoubtedly disagree but other have done the conversion satisfactorily without causing dangerous glare.

HID conversions are unsuited to headlights which don't have a totally clear front glass.

Have you checked the headlight adjustment dial - down the bottom of the dash on the right I think from memory. The dial should be on "0" unless you have a real load in the back of it. "4" takes the "focus" back to almost on the front bumper.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

I don't think there is a problem as such. It is just that the headlights are engineered to European standards where in many places the street lighting is much better than that in AUS, so you have a sharply cut off low beam with little spread. Try a late model halogen equipped Commodore or Falcon, the Australian engineered headlights have a less defined cut off with greater spread to the sides.

I thought the xenon low beams on my Clio were not really great, then I had chance of using Ford Focus and Holden Astra renters, and their typical continental attributes showed that the xenons were actually quite good in comparison.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Default Not a dim idea!

The last time I had a problem like this, it was resolved by cleaning up an earth wire from the headlights.
    Worth a try?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I don't think there is a problem as such. It is just that the headlights are engineered to European standards where in many places the street lighting is much better than that in AUS, so you have a sharply cut off low beam with little spread. Try a late model halogen equipped Commodore or Falcon, the Australian engineered headlights have a less defined cut off with greater spread to the sides.

I thought the xenon low beams on my Clio were not really great, then I had chance of using Ford Focus and Holden Astra renters, and their typical continental attributes showed that the xenons were actually quite good in comparison.
    If you live in the country and drive at night it is a problem. The European standards don't really work in Australia where the cars are so high and in-your-face. There is so much traffic these days you rarely get to use high beam, and the competition from oncoming traffic is much too bright, makes it a bit unsafe and stressful trying to see with low beam. The adjustment on the megane only goes so high, if you raise it a bit by moving the headlight adjustment at the front of the car (I have no idea how collier's did this) you can use the adjustment to get a better spread of the light. Since we did this it has been much better driving at night.
    Renault Megane sedan dCi 1.9 2007

David Brown 1973 885 synchromesh tractor.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1995

Honda sh150i scooter 2008

The car has had 3.5 years of use, I am the second owner, there is no evidence in the service history of alteration of the headlights. Suffice to say, I think they are stock standard. I acknowledge there could be some adjustment issue with regards to height, but they are certainly not too high currently. The in-cabin adjustment works, but at the highest setting they are barely adequate, lower and they are downright dangerous.

I do not think the difference between the high and low settings is giving me a false impression of dimness. They are just dim. I have owned 3 other cars, two mazdas and a honda, all pre 1995 models with (as far as I could tell) bog standard bulbs. All three were brighter than this car.

I recently drove a late model Holden Commodore (rental) on a longish nighttime country trip. It's dipped beam was MUCH brighter than the Megane even with fog lights on. As it was a late model Holden and a rental I think it is safe to assume that it complied with Aus regulations. Consequenrly I think there is a fair bit of room to move on making the Megane's lights brighter.

I can't say if the ground needs attention, but does the brightness of the high beam indicate that this is not a problem? Do they share a ground?

I will have a look at getting the headlights adjusted.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Mac

The globes are difficult to install on these, and if not seated correctly in the housing, the lights will be very poor. Worth having an experienced Renault technician check them. Otherwise you could try accessing the globes through the inner front guards and have a go at repositioning them yourself, although you won't be able to see what your hands are doing. If game to try it, park with the nose close to a wall first, and turn full lock to access the hole in the inner guard. Leave the lights on and see if the beam is improved by repositioning the globe. Having said that, I'd have them checked by a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Are the mains working or are the parking lights just realy bright.
    Turns out you were half right.

BIG MEA CULPA .. the right hand dipped beam headlight bulb has blown, so those RHS parkers weren't doing a half bad job.

Sorry for all those folks with considered replies, I have wasted your time by not doing the groundwork. I took the word of the eldest boy: "which ones are lighting up now?" I asked as I tried various combinations of lights.

Should have done it myself as it turns out.

So ... H7 55W

Is it worth paying more for Osram's like these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OSRAM-H7-...t_13505wt_1008

will any H7 do the trick, or do they have different bases?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by aidan View Post
    Turns out you were half right.
    Phew.....Most times I'm half wrong.

Jo

Tadpole

When my wife bought an 06 megane dynamique I thought the low beams were terrible. Looking at forums told me we were not alone. I have discovered when the globes are inserted into the housing having the "ears' at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock allows the globe to engage and gives one the feel all is ok but the beam is terrible!!! Twisting the globe to 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock allows the globe to go deeper into the housing and the engaging is more positive. Also the big plus is good low beam illumination with safe cut-off and light is directed to LHS. The alignment could be 4 and 10 o'clock, it was too much trouble to check!!!

COL

Looks like the filaments of the globe are not in the focal spot of the reflectors.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Don't ever put HID kits in reflectors designed for halogens. The aim will be poor and you'll be an anti social prick to all your fellow travellers.

H7 Osram Night Breaker Unlimited Headlight Bulbs Twin Pack OZ Stock | eBay

I put Osram Nightbreakers in our Megane, after similar complaints from my partner and these helped considerably. I also found the factory aim to be a bit out and spending a bit of time pointing it at the shed door also helped - the left side was low.

Also don't forget your height adjuster wheel on the dash near your right knee.

Thread Information