Scenic faulty oil level sensor
  • Help

Default Scenic faulty oil level sensor

This morning when I started the Scenic it was flashing its 'OIL' indicator at me, together with an empty sump indication of six underscores _ _ _ _ _ _

Advertisement

I checked the oil properly and there was plenty of it, but the indicator fault has persisted and the SERV indicator is lit as well.

I'll investigate more thoroughly later and report back when I have solved this. I suspect either the plug on the sensor is dirty or the sensor itself has failed. It's been three full days since the car has been started but everything else is working.

I'll check it out tonight, but I believe ours normally shows 6 (or is it 8?) underscores. But it says on start up "OIL OK". When the level drops I believe it changes to zeroes, eg, 00000_ indicates level down a little bit, 000___ meaning half full etc. But it doesn't flash on start up. Also IIRC when the level indicator is on, a single touch on the trip computer stalk button will show the level in "zeroes".

Yes, I think a connector clean would be a good idea for a first place to check.

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

No I was wrong. When key turned on to start, only says "OIL OK" - no dashes or zeroes.

With key on start, and "OIL OK" on digital display, I pressed the button on end of wiper stalk, and got "00000_" - so I had better check the oil level!! It's due for change anyway.

I think that oil level indicator is one of the good features of the Scenic, and it should be standard equipment on any cab-over vehicle.

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Well, mine seems fine now. It was OK by lunchtime yesterday and showed full (o o o o o o)
    It must have just been some moisture in the sensor's connection.

Anyway the car is happy and you can all go back to your homes now.

Thread Information