I bought a clio
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: I bought a clio

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Default I bought a clio

This news is huge.

No seriously, its HUGE.

"Always been a pug nut, will always be a pug nut, will always own just pugs"

All true except for that last tiny little detail….

I though pugs were the pug god's gift to the motoring world, (i still really like them) and that the 206 GTi180 was the BEST hot hatch in the world……

Then i accepted a job offer (after 3.5 years to think about it) in melbourne, and stated driving and working on the other two main frenchies, citroens and Renaults. Then i drove a stock standard 172. Oh my god, i've been living under a rock. Then i drove a 172 with induction and exhaust, sweeeeeeet…
    Then i drove a 172 running 197 manifold amoung other things. OMG. Then a 172 on Jenveys. OMFG. then a run of 225's, R26, R26 race car, RS250 OMFGFGFGFOMFFFG.

Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, i love my pugs, always will, but talk about lifting the wool from over my eyes.

Now, this clio. Nothing fancy, just a 1.6. Actually, i bought it for my GF's mother, who has done a hell of a lot for us, and the least we can do for her is get her into a nice car (never been able to afford anything nice). Its a lovely blue one, and already has an iPod kit in it. Grabbed a spoiler from work and had it painted and installed, along with a Green Cotton air filter, some new tyres and a full service.

But long story short, the young for old peugeot nut job went and bought a non pug. (WTFruitloops)

Most certainly not my last.

Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

welcome over to the renaultsport side .

Tadpole

yay...1.6 clio, i got a '03 Privilege 5 months ago after a decade or so in big old lazy falcons...and i'm a very proud renault convert

never see much about the non-sports though, which is a pity i think

I bought an 03 Expression Verve in February as a cheap ($2000) run around. I cannot believe it. The power that little 1.4 has. I do 90km to work down the Calder Highway, and wanted something small-ish, but safe as a temporary car for 12-18 months while I work part-time.

I did have an 06 Focus Ghia before this, and cannot believe how little a step backwards I actually took. I loved the way the Focus steered, but the Clio really puts a smile on my face.

My only regret about the Clio is that had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought a cheap one, I would have spent my time searching, and spent decent money on a 1.6 Privilege, or a Sport.

In March 2003 Wheels did a hot hatch under $30k mega test. Out of the 11, Daihatsu Sirion came last, Citroen Xsara VTR came in 9th, Pug 206GTi came in at number 2, and number 1 was the Clio Privilege with the quote 'no we didn't expect it either'. The Privilege only got in the comp because the Sport was over $30k.

Young for Old, what is the IPOD kit in your mother in laws? Is it integrated/connected to the factory stereo at all?

Yes it's integrated into the factory stereo. I believe it is a genuine accessory, but don't hold me to it.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    I did have an 06 Focus Ghia before this, and cannot believe how little a step backwards I actually took. I loved the way the Focus steered, but the Clio really puts a smile on my face.

My only regret about the Clio is that had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought a cheap one, I would have spent my time searching, and spent decent money on a 1.6 Privilege, or a Sport.
    on the handling...i went from big boat handling in falcons to the clio, so i'm probably even more impressed

and i know what you mean, if i realised how good my 1.6 privilege would be i would have aimed for a sport...i can only imagine how good they handle

Pre work.....I bought a clio-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340709276.391188.jpgI bought a clio-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340709334.724364.jpg

Head lights done and spoiler painted/fittedI bought a clio-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340709417.586008.jpgI bought a clio-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340709432.081649.jpgI bought a clio-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340709448.820799.jpgI bought a clio-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340709465.342249.jpgI bought a clio-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340709489.391390.jpgI bought a clio-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340709513.614338.jpg
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Welcome to the dark side

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Tadpole

looks good mate...think i'm gonna need one of those spoilers now

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmo View Post
    looks good mate...think i'm gonna need one of those spoilers now
    I was gonna stick a sport one on until Paul disappeared and came back with this one....last one too
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Quote Originally Posted by young 4 old pug View Post
    I was gonna stick a sport one on until Paul disappeared and came back with this one....last one too
    Also as you can see I removed the plastic top section on the tailgate and had that painted body colour too.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Also as you can see I removed the plastic top section on the tailgate and had that painted body colour too.
    I saw that, looks good. I really like that blue colour. There's a burgundy as well, and the Clio's just look spot on in those colours.

What did you use to get rid of the discolouration on the headlights? I have the same problem, I tried permatex, and it made them better, but didn't fix them properly. Also, I didn't take the headlights out, maybe I'll try that next time.

Does the spoiler keep the dust off the back window well? I was amazed at how effective the spoiler on mums Magna wagon was at this - living up a dirt road she loves that feature!

Good little tacker. Can't what great value these slighly older Renaults are now...

And where do you work that has an R10 and a 928 in the same room!

Judging by the sign in the background, I'd say autoParis.

Re the headlights, it is not hard to do. See a post I did on another forum.

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=11957

KB
    KB

I honestly didn't realise there was a sign in the back ground. If I'd known that that was there I wouldn't have posted it. A lot of folk on here get all archy with workshops promoting themselves, so I try to keep it separate. Also there are some here that don't get along with Paul as well. For the record I will say that after 3.5 years of persistent job offers I left a very comfortable job as TA for a pug dealership to work where I am now. Paul is the most talented mechanic I have ever met. Period.

928 belongs to Paul's deceased godfather.

Now-back to the Clio.
    The headlights are done using a kit from bursons. Not rocket science, but time consuming. Plus in this weather better to remove the headlights as they need heat to cure the UV protecting filmy thingy. All in all excluding removing and refitting, the lights took about 1 hour per side. Although I wasn't happy with the drivers side the first time so I re did it. From scratch.

As for dust on rear window, car has been only driven twice since installation and on sealed roads so I can't say it's effect on dusty window prevention.

I still have an A4 page of things to do to get it mechanically perfect plus another half page of small "improvements" (upgraded boot lighting, footwell lighting, secure dash mounted iPhone cradle etc etc)
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    And where do you work that has an R10 and a 928 in the same room!
    That's it?
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmo View Post
    on the handling...i went from big boat handling in falcons to the clio, so i'm probably even more impressed

and i know what you mean, if i realised how good my 1.6 privilege would be i would have aimed for a sport...i can only imagine how good they handle
    There are a handful of cars I've owned that bring a big grin to my face when I drive them (this is out of the 17 so far)
    In no real order, the 605, kermit, S1 405mi16 and this little Clio. Wouldn't have thought a 1.6 5 dr would make me smile on a small trip as much as say a 172. But I don't (yet) own one of them so can't really compare - but fantastic handling and softer suspension coupled with a gutsy 1.6 .

Plus it's actually got a bit more poke and improved responsiveness with the green cotton panel filter in there
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

I wasn't passing comment on the workshop or the owner, I was merely making an observation from the photos posted.

I'm based in Sydney so don't know Paul or the workshop. if it is the one that is/was in the same street as Caravelle, I met him once on a visit to Melbourne and bought an R8 Manual or Parts Book off him years ago.

Keep the photos coming!

KB
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    Also, I didn't take the headlights out, maybe I'll try that next time.
    The polishing part is best done with an electric buffer if you have one. For that reason, it is best to leave them in so they are supported whilst you buff. The faster the speed, the shinier the result. You can do it by hand but......

Just mask up the paintwork around the headlight so the buffing pad doesn't scuff the surrounding paintwork.

You can imagine it would be hard to get that speed and polish AND hold onto the light at the same time.
    KB

When we went looking for a first car for my son there was a manual Clio in the neighbourhood for sale for $2000. It was a nice tidy unit, but it needed new tyres and only had 1 months rego left on it, I was tempted to buy it for myself! But for him, it had no street cred!
    So he spent the $2000 on a rough 93 manual Toyota Starlet, it did have 11 months rego, half the value of the car and now he's put a $1500 stereo in it!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Shouldaboughtaclio
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

That's it?
    Pretty much - was just impressed you work somewhere that has taste in some very fine machinery - looks like a good gig you have there

Plus an R10 and a 928 is an odd thing to see in the same place!!

I will have an early Land Shark in the collection one day....

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Pretty much - was just impressed you work somewhere that has taste in some very fine machinery - looks like a good gig you have there

Plus an R10 and a 928 is an odd thing to see in the same place!!

I will have an early Land Shark in the collection one day....
    For your interest, the Porsche is a private import - V8 manual that has been "improved"....custom one-off map type improvement
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

As for the gig - yes, I get paid to do something I love to do. I'm one of the few people that looks forward to work. By end of Christmas break I'm
    Itching to get back. Kinda sad in a way...
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information