Would anyone buy an Avantime in Oz?
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Would anyone buy an Avantime in Oz?

Hey folks,
    I am a kiwi living in London England (with a wife from Brisbane).
    We currently own a renault avantime which we have loved owning for three fun years. But we are looking at replacing it with something more sensible with four doors (and a v10).
    So my pride and joy - a 3 litre red Avantime will go up for sale at the end of the month. But i did think that someone in Australia might like to own this piece of motoring art!
    So, if i was to ship it back to Oz and agree a price that covered my costs and added a little profit for my efforts, do you think that anyone would like to buy an Avantime?
    My car is similar to this one, but red and with 88,000 miles.
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...30db?logcode=p
    I havent investigated anything sensible like shipping or importation costs, until i know if there is some demand.
    What do you think?
    Cheers,
    Greg

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by muhnkee_2 View Post
    What do you think?
    So what is your plan? To import the car back into Australia as a personal import?

Also to get a better indication of interest, how about posting up pics of the actual car and its condition, service history, etc..
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Getting modern cars compliance here is a nightmare. If it was a personal import, you would have to be moving here, and then keep it for a number of years after the move.

You might get lucky, but slim chances I think.

Not a proposition. Too much trouble and expense and no profit in it if you did 'fluke' a buyer. Forget it.
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

Cars with sun roof fitted aren't very popular here because of the dangers involved with drop bears...
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Would love one. Certainly would buy one.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post
    go for it Daniel

start the dealings and let us know how you get on

i'd prefer an espace if i were to go for a renault
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Cars with sun roof fitted aren't very popular here because of the dangers involved with drop bears...
    thats just harsh!

no wonder i never open mine in my Mi16!

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post

I couldnt afford one, but i agree!!!
    Watching one on Top Gear made me think that it wasnt that different to a Scenic, and how cool would a 3.0 V6 (or even better, RS225 ) Scenic be!

Would only be worthwhile as a few others have said if you were moving back here. A mate of mine did it with an E46 330cd a couple of years ago, cost him about 2k in compliance costs i think it was

pm sent . i have a friend who can arrange import from uk easily but you'd need to ''personally import'' it to oz to actually get it in here and registered . can help with all that too

if you just dropped it off on your way back to nz , it wouldnt work .

I would love an Avantime. It's one of the few modern quirky cars. Couldn't afford it, but when I win Tatts, I'd be bringing in an Avantime, and Vel Satis.

Hello,
    I think you would find a buyer herein Oz as long as the price was reasonable. Much of the running gear is from other Renaults so parts would be ok. The odd bits like door hinges etc would be Euro imports. Still what a cool, head turning car.

I believe there is one already in Qld. Imported a couple of years ago.

The top spec Priv or Initiale would be best.

Do it!
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    Getting modern cars compliance here is a nightmare. If it was a personal import, you would have to be moving here, and then keep it for a number of years after the move.
    Yes, it would have to come in as a personal import, meaning you would have to be moving here, but you would be free to sell it after import as soon as you like.

Compliancing on a one off import built after 1/1/1989 is virtually impossible. For a start a workshop would have to get certified to do that car, and unlike Skylines I can't see there being a huge calling for Avantimes.

As a Personal Import compliancing is much easier, not needing the workshop to be certified for that particular vehicle, and having minimal tests done, basically only has to be roadworthy.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    I would love an Avantime. It's one of the few modern quirky cars. Couldn't afford it, but when I win Tatts, I'd be bringing in an Avantime, and Vel Satis.
    +1 to that

Seconded!

Would love an Avantime, but suspect I couldn't offer you what it'd be worth.

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

I was fortunate enough to drive one of the press cars in Holland while attending a track day in the A310.

It was a lovely thing to drive (V6), and sort of reminded me of a modern interpretation of a DS - yes, I know, totally different car, etc., etc., but it just had that nice, lollopping gait, great seats and all-round visibility. Quite pleasant with all the glass open, as long as you didn't have any loose stuff inside the vehicle....

It'd be far easier to import into NZ, but obviously you'd have less potential buyers. Assuming of course that's there's no rust and it's been well maintained.

So, how about some pictures?!

An Avantime would look quite nice in my garage, parked next to the A310. I'd need a bigger garage though, and that'd mean moving a lot more hillside.
    Last edited by exocet; 18th June 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    Yes, it would have to come in as a personal import, meaning you would have to be moving here, but you would be free to sell it after import as soon as you like.

Compliancing on a one off import built after 1/1/1989 is virtually impossible. For a start a workshop would have to get certified to do that car, and unlike Skylines I can't see there being a huge calling for Avantimes.

As a Personal Import compliancing is much easier, not needing the workshop to be certified for that particular vehicle, and having minimal tests done, basically only has to be roadworthy.
    I was looking at one in Paris recently and drooling gently. Extraordinary concept and Renault was very brave to bring it into series production. I'd absolutely love one. However, "orphan" is certainly the word for Oz!! Hard reality makes it a big ask to get one in and, unless I've missed something, it might well be the first if you did. If you actually find you can organise compliance and get it here at reasonable cost, there'd be a few insane folk like me who'd talk to you, but it would need to be in particularly good condition as an orphan.

Best of British luck!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Hey,
    Strangely enough i havent taken many photos of my car, but here is two i took last night.
    Its Mars Red, v6 (210bhp, 157kw), Privilege spec with 88,000 odd miles. Black interior and all the optional extras (except the horrible two tone leather). Its in pretty good condition, but isnt a show car, its a daily driver. I get about 19mpg in it, other more frugal drivers get up to 24mpg.
    I have never had a car that draws so much attention, you can sit at the lights and wait for people to start pointing - and thats in the UK, where there are another 400 odd Avantimes around!
    We use it for regular trips around europe, its a great cruiser, lots of boot space, seats five people comfortably.
    But we are having a kid, so we want a five door (with a v10)!
    I found this interesting blog from 2009 extensively detailing one person experience importing a car.
    http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...-to-australia/
    Their total costs were £4,200 on top of the price of the car ($6500AUD).

I will take some time and try and see what a price i would need to cover my costs, and make some profit!

If you want some more details of the wonders of avantime ownership, i suggest you watch this video:
    http://jalopnik.com/5874337/why-the-...reakingly-cool

And the uk owners club here:
    http://www.avantime-owners.com/vanilla/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would anyone buy an Avantime in Oz?-car.jpg   Would anyone buy an Avantime in Oz?-car-2.jpg  
    Last edited by muhnkee_2; 20th June 2012 at 03:13 AM.

Thread Information