2010 Megane Hatch
  • Help
    Administrator

Default 2010 Megane Hatch

My dad is looking at a 2010 MEGANE II X84 Phase II. It's a 2.0 Auto.

What auto does it have? Is it still the dreaded AL4 or is it a Nissan derived transmission?

How many k's are people getting from the auto's?

Advertisement

It's done 88K so I assume is up for a timing belt soon.

Anything else to look for mechanically?

Mac

We have two late model Megane II's and so far they have been excellent. One is a 2.0 F4R (as would be in the car you're looking at) and the other is a 1.9dCi. Both have 6spd manual transmissions so I can't comment on the auto. However, I believe it would be the 4spd. I haven't heard of any durability issues with the auto, but I've read that they can hunt for a gear at times. The 6spd manual is a very refined gearbox and I would have no hesitation recommending it.

Regarding the "2010" date: while this means you should still have 12 months warranty remaining, I would think the car was probably built in 2008, but maybe 2009 - so don't pay more for a 'late model car'. Check the build date inside the drivers door.

88,000 kms is a lot in two years - much more than ours so I can't comment on overall durability / reliability too much. The main issues I hear of are window regulators and engine mounts. We have had one of each repaired under warranty. The plenum chamber can become blocked causing water to enter the cabin - so check the carpet in the under-floor storage bins.

Good luck with it - they are great cars. I believe the non-sport Meg II phase II inherited the previous model rs225 front suspension and steering, so they are a treat to drive.

All the best.

Its the DPO/AL4. I am starting the believe the Renault version goes longer though - full synthetic ELF juice instead of semi snythetic Total stuff int eh PSA cars. No evidence as such for this, but hear a hell of a lot more about dead AL4 than DPO around here.

Window regulators I think are weak, but there are cheap repair kits on ebay.

Phase 2 update non-RSM did get updated steering software for better feel, but its still a conventional Mac strut as opposed to the tricky alloy hub thingywhatsit on the RSM cars.

I have a DP0 box in my 1.9DCi, I just had to have the solenoids replaced, the box was going into limp mode occasionally, at 170,000km.
    Any auto box is risky in a used car, you don't know how it has been driven. These boxes probably won't stand up to being thrashed, but should last if driven reasonably gently. Repairs will be expensive.
    Renault Megane sedan dCi 1.9 2007

David Brown 1973 885 synchromesh tractor.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1995

Honda sh150i scooter 2008

Thread Information