Koleos 2.5 litre petrol oil overfilling problems.
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Koleos 2.5 litre petrol oil overfilling problems.

Just had my petrol Koleos in for its 20,000 service and for the 2nd time the oil level is way too high.
    This time the level is 3 cm above the H mark ( yes I let the oil settle and wiped the dipstick) whilst the first time the oil was changed they overfilled it by at least 4 cm.The first time was at my local Renault dealer who insisted that the vehicle actually took 5.4 litres with filter rather than 5.1 litres as specified in the handbook.The oil had to be drained by some 300ml to get a proper level.The second time I actually added 100 ml to a 5 litre container of Elf synthetic and marked the container accordingly.I assumed all would be ok but on checking 2 days later I found the new blokes had also overfilled the vehicle.This time they used an extra 200 mls out of the litre bottle I had in the wheel well.
    This has never been a problem with any other vehicle I've had serviced and I'm wondering if the mechanics are either miss-reading some on line info or if Renault has some wrong info on site.
    Have any other Koleos owners experienced a similar problem?Maybe there are some mechanics who could suggest what may be going wrong here.
    Other than that Koleos owning has proven to be pleasant and stress free.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Beware of people pretending to be Renault experts! I did in the beginning but have learned expensive lessons. At not one, but at two Renault dealerships. Now I do all my own basic servicing. It does not take a rocket scientist to do an oil and oil filter change. Or check fluid levels. Or replace an air filter. Or even fit new brake rotors and pads. If you are determined and careful, you can even replace the timing and accessory belts. Anyone with a modicum of basic mechanical aptitude can do that. Refer to your service handbook for what needs to be done at each service interval. All basic stuff, rarely an engine overhaul! I guess I am fortunate because I grew up with carburettors and distributors with points and vacuum advance etc, and 1000 mile services, which required a slightly higher level of skill that the generally ultra reliable modern computer controlled engine demands today. And don't let the Renault dealer bluff you into believing that only they are able/allowed to undertake basic servicing, and that your warranty will be nullified if they do not do it. Not so. Anyone competent can do the servicing, as long as it is done properly and competently. Regrettably, in my experience, properly or competently it has so far not been done for me at a Renault dealership.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by simonsez View Post
    Just had my petrol Koleos in for its 20,000 service and for the 2nd time the oil level is way too high.
    This time the level is 3 cm above the H mark ( yes I let the oil settle and wiped the dipstick) whilst the first time the oil was changed they overfilled it by at least 4 cm.The first time was at my local Renault dealer who insisted that the vehicle actually took 5.4 litres with filter rather than 5.1 litres as specified in the handbook.The oil had to be drained by some 300ml to get a proper level.The second time I actually added 100 ml to a 5 litre container of Elf synthetic and marked the container accordingly.I assumed all would be ok but on checking 2 days later I found the new blokes had also overfilled the vehicle.This time they used an extra 200 mls out of the litre bottle I had in the wheel well.
    This has never been a problem with any other vehicle I've had serviced and I'm wondering if the mechanics are either miss-reading some on line info or if Renault has some wrong info on site.
    Have any other Koleos owners experienced a similar problem?Maybe there are some mechanics who could suggest what may be going wrong here.
    Other than that Koleos owning has proven to be pleasant and stress free.
    Write to Justin Hocevar at Renault Australia and he will get to the bottom of your problem. He's trying hard to make Renault a household name in Australia and loves to find out what customers think about all aspects of sales and service!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Write to Justin Hocevar at Renault Australia and he will get to the bottom of your problem. He's trying hard to make Renault a household name in Australia and loves to find out what customers think about all aspects of sales and service!
    Let's hope Justin casts a beady eye on this forum then!

Seriously, it doesn't take a Renault expert to change the oil and get the level right. Put it in, check level and adjust - they ought to be able to get that right! Surely they'd stop a litre short of expected volume and check the level? I do.

Amazing that you'd have such a simple bit of carelessness from any service place.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The latest "Mens Style" magazine has a huge write up on the Koleos if anyone is interested....

Fellow Frogger!

I assume that is 'huge' as in 'great'? Thanks for the tip anyway. It's nice to read a positive report on the Koleos for a change, although a bit confused between what versions offer which feature(s). But with the surprisingly long list of features in even the basic Expression that is understandable. Unlike the comparo in the latest 'Wheels' mag, in which the reviewer marks the Koleos down because: ".......'breeders' (sic - what a ******) might find it difficult to load bulky prams over the clever but high spllt-fold tailgate." Doh! Even Homer Simpson would have discovered that you can actually fold the lower section down, to make a very handy and sturdy loading platform (or seat) that actually facilitates access to the boot area.

Thread Information