New purchase Renault 16TL
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default New purchase Renault 16TL

Hey All,

New to this French car game and have been lurking and learning all I can.
    After dabbling in mainly German metal I have finally secured ownership of a 1974 16TL.
    I've always admired most French marques from afar with a particular love for classic Renault's and Citroen's.
    When this little mechanically sound baby came up for next to nothing, I had no choice but to take the plunge!
    She starts on the button and drives well with the clutch and brakes feeling nice. It really doesn't appear to do much wrong at this stage, with no smoke and strange noises......although, admittedly, I haven't driven her too far.
    The body appears quite solid with only visible rust in the back doors and at the base of the widscreen on the left hand side. Paint is a different story as she looks like she has been tackled with a brush at some stage! Interior wise, driver's seat has seen much better days but the rest is servicable if not extremely dirty.
    Biggest issue is the steering column controls. The column shifter has been broken at some stage and has been ramshackle repaired using many different homemade techniques including fibreglass!! The resin has gone onto the other stalks too and softened the indicator one to the point of breaking and the headlight one looks ready to go too. So I will call upon you guys with one of these lying around for these parts at some stage.
    Plans? Well, I plan on leaving the exterior (except for a polish) as it has so much character and I will pop on some whitewalls. I plan on getting all safety aspects sorted and then drive the pants off her. I have some period accessories that I will pop on too like a roof rack etc.
    Here she is as she stands. Will update as she progresses!

Darren

s1_edited-1_resize by awesome photography adelaide, on Flickr

s2_edited-1_resize by awesome photography adelaide, on Flickr

Sav home by awesome photography adelaide, on Flickr

s4_edited-1_resize by awesome photography adelaide, on Flickr

Advertisement

nice and welcome to the french side . you'll like french !

Hi Darren I can see straight away this will be of interesthttp://www.r16site.com/tips/FrontWings.htm

And have a look at Geert's R16 site, he has good parts availability, I guess in SA there'll be plenty of carcasses to plunder. Rust in the rear is problematic, they're prone to it all over the place, so you either drive it into the ground or give it the treatment!
    They're lovely to drive : )
    Steven

All mod cons! Genuine accessory radio! Looks like quite a find!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tadpole

Thanks for the response guys. I'm going to do some research on those site for sure. Will probably just make her look respectable and ensure she's safe then just drive and have some fun. Thanks again.

Tadpole

Gave her a quick polish. Thought the roof was brush painted beige.....actually brush painted yellow. Ooo er!
    Looks quite respectable apart from that bonnet.

shine2_edited-1_resize by awesome photography adelaide, on Flickr

shine1_edited-1_resize by awesome photography adelaide, on Flickr

Now that does look nice....

Ps, up until the late sixties RR cars were hand brush painted up to 24 coats, each hand rubbed back. That roof already looks good, just keep working on it! ;-)
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tadpole

Hmmmmm, thanks for the info! Some elbow grease and wet n' dry might be the order of the day.

Default Blue

LOvin' That blue : )

I had a '72 TL (diff colour) just like that! Fantastic car, enjoy that terrific column shift altho yours might need to be replaced?
    Don't know about the whitewalls, never seen one sporting those! Still they might be a point of difference. Good luck
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

hey.. are you on the corner of Putland drive? me and my brother are the Renault 12 and 10 owners just up the road. I recognise the BMW in the back ground. I sent a message to the guy selling this 16 but they didn't get back to me so you must have beat me to it.. probably for the best. Got enough Renos to worry about as it is.

Tadpole

Hey Liam. Yeah that's me. Often walk past your place and was nearly going to grab your yellow beast from you when I saw it for sale. I'll have to pop up and have a chat to you about my new acquisition.
    Yeah, the guy I bought it from was not too good on the reply so I persisted and bought it immediately when I saw it. Glad I did, it's going to be fun.

ahh yeah, that yellow one is my little brothers. I dont live there any more but i am around to visit fairly often (i now live at christies beach). I own the virage parts car out the front of the putland drive house and another 12 like my brothers that i am having a go at restoring.. my daily drive is a rough as guts R10 that is very slowly becoming more complete. I have given away most of my parts suitable for a 16 but if you can think of anything you need let me know and their is a small chance i can help you out, mostly i have lots of 12 parts. - Liam

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Congratulations, Darren, on yourpurchase. That blue is v distinctive. There are so many boring colours around these days.

Just put on here a list of parts you need as there are many of us 16 owners who have quite a few parts.

Keep working on it! They are great to drive - comfortable and economical. I recently di about 4000 kms in mine in 10 days.

Alastair

Congratulations, and welcome to one of the best kept secrets of 70s motoring.

The blue is quite rare, I've only seen two others. It's come up really well with that polish, what did you use?

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEEE View Post
    The blue is quite rare, I've only seen two others.
    That isn't the 1971/72 Teal Blue colour, the car is a 1974 MY (7/74 - 12/74) 16TL. Given the trim colour, the original paint would have been the darker Trak Blue colour.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Hi guys. Thanks for the welcome.
    Spot on, the original colour was Trak Blue and is a couple shades darker. Paint is well past it's best but will be servicable for the time being.
    To polish her, I used a rotary buffer and a deep cut compound followed by a wax. Chrome still needs a good Autosol scrub.

Thanks for the offer on parts too:
    First thing I require is a column shift mechanism and indicator and light arms and switches. If anyone could help I would be grateful.
    Thanks again.

G'day Darren

Nice to see another 16 saved. With the gear lever, do you require just the chrome lever or is it broken at the tirangle plate attatched to the coloumn. i.e. where is it exactly broken? I should be able to help out with a spare. I have an indicater cluster too, but there are two types and I'll need to know which one the TL used. I also have a Trak Blue straight guard somewhere but I think it maybe R/H side. Anyway I've got parts galore so if you need anything send me a PM.

I also collect oval/diamond plate numbers for an R16 register in Australia so if you wish to be on the list send/PM/add to thread me those and it would be great.

PS: I have had computer trouble over the last month or two and have now resorted to the local library computers once a week, but I will get a new computer in the new financial year. So don't be discouraged by a lack of a quick response from me!!!

Thread Information