That r17
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: That r17

1000+ Posts

Default That r17

Question: What is the Number 1 rule when taking a road trip in an old Renault?

Advertisement
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    plenty of friends along the way with car trailers to pick you up and fix the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Default that R17

If you don.t know the car a car trailer.
    David

Banned

keep the speed down, lest you find the limits of aging cooling and lubrication systems.

Dont take your eye off the temp gauge.

Jo

Get ready for women throwing themselves at your feet...

RACV Extra Care. Make it their problem
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

No 1 - Convoy

No 2 - mobile phone (not much use in some parts of WA out of Perth mind you.....)

No 3 - Not this weekend - much too hot for an unknown quantity

No 4 - Cruise at not more than 90 kph

No 5 - Check all fluids, tyres.

Is it the "new" 17?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Also bring your smart phone so you can start a thread on here and keep us updated on the "adventure"
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

Dont...

In the Shed(s):

In the Past:

1000+ Posts

Wear...

In the Shed(s):

In the Past:

1000+ Posts

White!!!

In the Shed(s):

In the Past:

1000+ Posts

Man this is an adventure I wish it was me.

1000+ Posts

Exfrogger update your current list of cars.

Fellow Frogger!

White!!!
    I can't imagine anyone ever thinking white was your colour.

Were you running late for a game of cricket?

1000+ Posts

Default Getting it all home

DCoupe and I left Gero 7:00 Friday morning.

We were going to go either the new coastal route or down the Brand Highway. We got met by the FESA people just out of Dongara and told fires had cut the Highway and our best course of action was further inland via, Mingenew, Three Springs and Carnamah.

We loaded the Golf up with such bits as I could assemble that included a monster tool kit, 4 spare R12 wheels for Gekoeng, rubber bits, tape, glue an expansion bottle R12 ball joints, well the list was huge. The normally stable VW got its nose off the roads and became a little less settled.

The drive was great and we had no recourse to hook up the IPod.

Got to Perth and met the owner. The car was a gem but the battery was flat. The electric sun roof didn't work, nor did the electric windows. (What an R17 with dead window winders?) John said that the battery was stuffed and wouldn't take a charge.

DCoupe bought his battery pack and the car started easily. It struggled a bit to idle but revved easily. We left the car, zipped down the road, stopped a wine shop found a couple of good bottles for John, picked up a battery, and returned. While John and I did the paperwork DCoupe popped the battery in. John handed me a folder with all the history of the car, a handbook, and many receipts. DCoupe struck up a conversation and it turns out he is a mate of the first owner.

The tank was full there was air in the tyres and the afternoon traffic in Perth was building. We headed off for DC's father's place in Jandakot. On the freeway opened the throttle in second it blew a cloud of black smoke then got going. It accelerated briskly, stopped in a straight line and ran through the gears without drama.

There was a lot of wheel shim; the steering wheel was a little off-centre, too. But in stop start traffic the temp guage stayed in the middle.

Tyrepower managed to fit us in at 4:45 on a Friday arvo. The diagnosis was that the tyres were flat spotted, out of balance and the rims out of true. They swapped the best of them to the front charged us below the going rate and set us on our way.

Those who know me, know me as a man of substance. I climbed into the car at the back of the shop and promptly broke the seat. That soured my "new" car experience somewhat...

Back at DC's Fathers place we pulled the seat out and DC did some prompt and neat welding to the seat frame and we crawled over the car. I checked the oil and it was as clean as a whistle the cooling system was good. I went to change the air filter and it too was fresh. The filter to carby horn had been over-tightened and it was creased allowing air in. I pulled it off, flexed it a bit to remove the memory then noticed that the carby was a lot newer than the stuff around it. Oh, and the roof won't close.

Put the seat in, DC picked up some excellent Chinese and a six pack. Dinner.

Back in the shed we put the car on a hoist... Two new footwells had been welded in. The exhaust was a tad odd but the brake, suspension and steering were all good. Gearbox was a bit oily. There's rust bubbling in the front guards

We clean up. I take a dip in the pool and hit the sack.

I'm a confident man: I put on a tasteful Hawaiian shirt and a pair of off-white pants.

We say our goodbyes and hit the road. We plan to refuel in and breakfast in Midlands (the road is are still closed). Seems that today is the day they've decided to carry the dissembled bits of one of those huge mining dump trucks up north. The buckets on these things are so wide they take up 2 lanes and then some. In traffic we crawl along at 60kph. To make myself easier to find I turn on the headlights. After a while I notice the battery charge is well into the red. I turn them off. The needle creeps up but stays in the red. Hmmm...

We finally pass the trucks, decide to skip Midlands and head off for Moora. The Fuel guage is flicking all over the place, we're tired and suffering acute caffeine withdrawal. On this fine warm summer morning in a new car, the roof down and the open road beckoning I'm about a micro-second away from a road rage incident that'll make the national news.

Moora: find a servo but with the extra traffic on the road its a zoo. Cars everywhere. I reverse upto a vacant bowsers splash some valve saver in and half a bottle of metho in the hopes that any water in the tank will leave of its own accord. The bloke in the huge 4X4 with the mobile McMansion on behind wanders back to his Dream Home then as I start cleaning the screen starts whinging because he can't get out (turn out the poor guy's been scammed. Some bastard sold him a rig with no reverse gear. ) I'm usually pretty passive in these matters but - caffeine deprived - I fire up. We discuss servo etiquette but come to no sound conclusions. DC found the diesel pump but it has the high-flow nozzle and he's filling the Golf a thimble at a time. I go into pay and he's still pumping. I tell the cashier that the guy behind me is in a snit and I'll move the car. It won't start. I push the 17 out the path of His Grand Majesty, blow him a kiss and go back inside. Hope he meets the dump truck convoy on his journey south. He might have to back that rig of his for miles...

We order breakfast and get some coffee. DC pulls the battery pack and we get started. Wanting to stay ahead of the trucks we've passed we eat and drink on the go. Its hot now, really hot. DC tells me the external temp on some parts of the road is 45deg. I splash sunscreen all over the bare bits and push on, the battery charge guage stays in the red and the temp gauge climbs. It reaches high normal but never crosses into the red.

Stays that way all the way home.

So now one more car I've got to find a roof for.

All the best
    Last edited by Exfrogger; 29th January 2012 at 04:26 AM.
    bowie likes this.

In the Shed(s):

In the Past:

All the best
    Fantastic, had to read every word, brilliant

I think I saw on the evening news - something about a huge 4X4 with the mobile McMansion on behind hitting a rock that didn't appear on his GPS and is now heavily listing, apparently the driver abandoned ship leaving his pet sheep and offspring to fend for themselves

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Nice work Exfrogger.

It sounds like you may be onto it, but as you have a lead on the first owner, see if you can find out where the fibreglass hardtop has gone (If it didn't actually come with the car).
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Fantastic, had to read every word, brilliant

I think I saw on the evening news - something about a huge 4X4 with the mobile McMansion on behind hitting a rock that didn't appear on his GPS and is now heavily listing, apparently the driver abandoned ship leaving his pet sheep and offspring to fend for themselves

Cheers
    Chris

Good read exfrogger! Braver man than i taking on a trip like that in weather that extreme, but you folks from the Federal Republic of WA have always had an adventurous streak!

Great yarn!

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

Default The 17 !!!!

Well Done Mr. P !!!!!!!!
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Oh well we might as well forget you finishing your Gero to Rock adventure you'll be to busy on the 17 now.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    It sounds like you may be onto it, but as you have a lead on the first owner, see if you can find out where the fibreglass hardtop has gone (If it didn't actually come with the car).
    Actually I do know what happened...

Apparently the second owner was a young man who was into surfing. One day he strapped the board to the roof and lit off for the beach - and whatever held roof to the car let go.

Both the board and the roof were write offs.

The last owner located one in Germany but with the calls, transfers and the like said it would've been cheaper just to have flown over and picked it up.
    Last edited by Exfrogger; 30th January 2012 at 07:53 PM.

In the Shed(s):

In the Past:

1000+ Posts

Mine has a roof and it would be easy to take a mold from it it is pretty straight forward nothing too complex. Wish I had been there heat and all.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information