Clio RS, what the dealer said...
  • Register
  • Help

Default Clio RS, what the dealer said...

Cold start stall:
    Dealer: Checked softwares, no problems. Don't know what else to do (great)
    Cliosportforum in UK: Battery, a Common "feature" of the clio RS, Fuel
    Me: I'll try and changing to 98RON petrol and see what happens. This is the time you wish all car manufactures supply you with a plug and software so you can change your own ECU settings.

Windnoise:
    Dealer: Need more then 1 tech to fix, have to rebook. But definatly a problem.

Seatbelt:
    Dealer: can't find faults

Advertisement

So out of 3 problems only 1 is identified, and zero fixed!

Don't get me wrong, NorthShore Renault is a great dealer, at least the sales are really cool. But having Nissan AND Renault to service in the same service room is... well wrong. hmmm
    Karl
    -----------------

I'd suggest popping the question onto the Yahoogroups OZ Clio sport mailing list. There may now be a fix that all dealers don't know about. The reply you got from the dealer seems to be a common response.

Also there is the Renault customer service number, 1800 009 008. Apparently some of the people on the OZ Clio mailing list were on first name terms with the customer support helper and things then started to happen. The starting problem only seemed to affect the newer 2002 models and not the earlier model 2001 Clio Cup limited release cars.

I might be wrong, but isn't the RS meant to run only on PULP fuel? (ie. high octane)

I don't know if will really be a fix though, still worth pursuing I think.

Also, regarding the belt, I think a demonstration to the service manager will be your ticket to a fix.

ie. Drivers side, pull on belt, doesn't lock up. Passengers side, pull on belt, locks up.

You've got to drum it into them sometimes, in my experience. You shouldn't have to, but you probably will need to. Remember, these guys aren't Mercedes dealers...
    Last edited by Europa; 26th November 2003 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    I might be wrong, but isn't the RS meant to run only on PULP fuel? (ie. high octane)

Correct, it should be run on at least 96RON. I think Karl is differentiating between 96 RON and 98 RON like Optimax.

Quote Originally Posted by Europa

yes that's correct. At least in Sydney you can get 95RON or 98RON. Both are PULP fuels, my mistake not pointing out I am already using 95RON Fuel. The manual says it is designed for operation on 95RON. I'm going to switch to 98RON, probably Synergy 8000 (I found that and the BP Ultima to be a lot better then Opti Max when testing fuel consuption for my Old Astra)

Thanks for the pointer on the yahoo place, I'll check it out.
    Karl
    -----------------

Fellow Frogger!

The petrol guidelines should probably be read: Would prefer 98 RON, would run on 95 if thats all you can find. That is, Use 98.. ONLY.

Never ever ever had a problem with mine running on Optimax from the first tank I put in it. Ive been all over NSW and through QLD and never ever ever did I put anything in mine other than Optimax. Having said that, it has done less than 15,000kms and is a 2001 model.. but still.. nothing but 98. European fuel is much better than Oz fuel and that is what its designed to have. You will see better peformance and fuel economy with 98.

Re cold start: Never had a problem there either but it is more of a problem on the Mk II Clio Sports. My answer : turn it from off to start in one go. Some guys on the Oz Clio mailinsg list were stopping half way.. dunno why.. to listen to the fuel pump kick in or radio or something. Some found that turning to Start in one go removed their start problems. If you have a problem even doing that, then there is more than likely an issue that needs sorting out.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    The petrol guidelines should probably be read: Would prefer 98 RON, would run on 95 if thats all you can find. That is, Use 98.. ONLY.

Never ever ever had a problem with mine running on Optimax from the first tank I put in it. Ive been all over NSW and through QLD and never ever ever did I put anything in mine other than Optimax. Having said that, it has done less than 15,000kms and is a 2001 model.. but still.. nothing but 98. European fuel is much better than Oz fuel and that is what its designed to have. You will see better peformance and fuel economy with 98.
    yeah you are probably right there. Friend used to have a Integra Type R, had engine knocking on 95RON, swtiched to 98, no more problems. It is my hopes that is the case.

I'm looking through oz clio yahoo group's archive now tryign to find answers. I tried both, turning from off the start in one go, or stop for teh fuel pump. but the engien will stall garenteed what ever I do, unless I hold down at ignition. Which isn't good for the. Don't think 2001 clio cup has this problem. You'd thinkt eh dealer would knwo a few tricks since this is not exactly a 1 out of 1 million problem...

but thanks anyway. swtiching fuel next tank, and continue to look for answers.
    Karl
    -----------------

good luck with it Carl these sorts of issues and the time to have them resolved is a nightmare..... Hope you get to work out where the fault lies and get them fixed soon..

Default FIXED, I think

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    good luck with it Carl these sorts of issues and the time to have them resolved is a nightmare..... Hope you get to work out where the fault lies and get them fixed soon..
    I think its fixed... well this morning the car started fine first go. I tried turning the key form off to ignition in one go... and it didn't fall over. weird... and at night after work, it started fine as well.
    I think renault may have done something but they refuse to tell me, I don't know sometimes dealers do that to hide from embarrasment?? Cause my friend's Integra Type R, had some problems with seats having noises while drivng. Anyway went to the dealer, they said they couldn't find any problems but after that the noise was gone...hence the dealer must have done something but didn't tell him so I am wondering if its the case here as well.
    Karl
    -----------------

Well, if they are reasonable technicians, they would take a look for you, probably reset some connectors, test the computer etc.

Sometimes the action of checking for a fault actually seems to fix it, but as the original fault isn't obvious, it's hard to tell a customer that it is actually 100% fixed...

Fellow Frogger!

Hi storms_of_fate,

Fixed?? did you gring it in to the dealers again?
    Also, what wind noise are you refering too?

I think the Clio ECU still needs a bit of fine tuning, it has been reported overseas that on some 2001 models if you start the car then moce a tiny distance and switch off, the car would not start again...due to a bug in the ECU. Personally I think my Clio does not have that problem, but has never dared to try...

Thread Information