1974 Don Capasco Rally Film Now On Youtube
  • Register
  • Help

Default 1974 Don Capasco Rally Film Now On Youtube

Hi folks,

In 1974 Australia’s first European-style special-stage rally was won rather fittingly by a 1973 Group 4 Alpine Renault A110, the first marque to win the World Rally Championship. The Alpine, Bernard Darniche’s Morocco-winning car, was driven to victory by 1970 Australian Rally Champion Bob Watson. A few mates and I, barely out of our teens, made an amateur movie of the event. Shot on Super-8 film and with the sound recorded separately on cassette tapes, it has survived transfer to VHS tape, and now to a digital format (with special thanks for that to my old mate David Jorgensen). There are voice-over interviews with with Bob Watson, Geoff Ross (Bennett Honda Civic), the late Peter Brock, and Gerry Ball.

It had been my intention to “remaster” it with better audio including a professional narrative and some professional graphics, but the twin ever-present constraints of time and money saw it land in the too-hard basket. Rather than let it languish there, I’ve now up-loaded it to Youtube, and you can view it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITmjJyZ_qvQ

The quality may not be the best, but I think this event was an important part of the history of rallying in Australia, heralding a transition from map-reading on shire roads at night timed to the forward minute, to racing through the forest in broad daylight timed to the second (or less, these days).

Advertisement

Regards,

Al Kelly
    Coming soon to a forest near you - Alpine A110 1600S Group 4.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Allan - were we ever that young?
    FLASH

COL

Default Don Capasco Rally

Thanks for posting Al.

Enjoyed every minute of the movie, lots of great footage of the A110 and of course of the other cars.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

I remember this being for sale fairly closely after the rally (5-6k?) but although I was tempted, I had just taken up my first full-time job as a tutor at UNSW & its asking price was almost the same as 1 year's salary. I suppose that I could have got a loan but I didn't. In some ways a regret but I suspect that, if I had bought it, it & I would have died in the same incident. Anyone know who has it now?

cheers! Peter

Many thanks for the footage, Al, brought back a lot of memories!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I thought the car was on loan for "static displays" and returned to the factory?

I remember Bob Watson saying in Canberra (Renault Roundup) that the factory were horrified to learn it had been rallied in Oz. Apparently it had done it's duty and was due for the customary re-shell.
    KB
    KB

It was certainly "on static display" at a Melbourne motor show because I remember taking a snap, I'll have to go look for it!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Icon6

G'day,
    if I remember correctly, it was described as having a translucent [in parts] body shell.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

This is the Video of the Year for me. A great archive of footage for what would have been a very important event for rallying in Australia at the time. Thanks for the effort Al.

The Bob Watson/Jeff Beaumont A110 (3698 HK 75) was in an Italian collection last time I heard. So it isn't likely to be discovered at a Pick-A-Part type wrecker :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

VIP Sponsor

I had the pleasure of a brief drive in this car. As stated above it did a static tour of Australia, which included a trip to the West and as the then Renault Distributor for WA, I had the car on display for a couple of weeks and organized a press day where I drove some journos around a crude limestone track beside the Swan River.

Default I was there as well with a super 8 camera!

Hi Al,

I too was there in 1974 (as a 14 year old) filming it on Super 8. My old man was driving a white Mazda RX2 (which is seen for a millisecond) until a hidden stump tore off one of the front wheels.
    I vividely remember the hoohaa around the A110 as it was the "World Champ" around that time. The old man had moved from The R12 Gordini to the Mazda (I hate to admit that) in an attempt to keep competitive with the more bang for your buck rotary engine.
    Great memories there Al.

Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Default I was there to

Yes, memories. I was there as well. Was rallying a R16TS at the time, though not in this event, as I was (and still am) not up to that standard as a driver
    Was great to see and hear the Alpine. An event to remember, especially at the bottom of the Mine Shaft
    Michael

1000+ Posts

rather a nice bit of footage - thanks!
    I was taken with the "yaller dorfeen" - anyone know anything about it & its fate? (it seemed to disappear early in the tape so I hope it didn't get smacked)

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    rather a nice bit of footage - thanks!
    I was taken with the "yaller dorfeen" - anyone know anything about it & its fate? (it seemed to disappear early in the tape so I hope it didn't get smacked)
    The Dauphine was entered by Warwick Smith, it had an R8G engine.
    Warwick was/is a very good driver, he was Vic Champion driver in an LA Lancer in the late 80s and Australian champion co driver with Peter Lang in the HDT XU1 in 1973.
    He would no doubt have been trying hard to prove his worth in this high profile but rough event, driven it hard and probably retired it with damage.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    He would no doubt have been trying hard to prove his worth in this high profile but rough event, driven it hard and probably retired it with damage.
    In a report of the event, it didn't sound that ominous :-). Saying that the little Dauphine suffered clutch failure at the end of the second division of the event.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

IWS

Hello Al,

I just came across this (in the serendipity that is such an enjoyable factor of AF) and enjoyed it so much!

I was a 19 year old in Canberra at the time of the Don Capasco and can recall the excitement of the event - and in particular Bob Watson in the Alpine up against the lumbering Holden Dealer Team cars. All of the locations were familiar – Greenhills, Stromlo, Murray’s corner river crossings and of course “the mineshaft”! (I recall Bruce Hodgson in his big Falcon hurtling down that without pause - and then fully sideways with gravel spraying on the exit!. All good fun.)

At the Renault round up here in Melbourne last weekend I said hello to Bob Watson and I’ve passed on the web link to him. Not sure if he had seen it before. Also passed it to my brother Peter - who was working for HDT at the time of the Don Caspasco but had previously navigated for Bob (and then later for Peter Janson).

Thanks so much for posting!

Ian.

I'm pretty sure Bob Watson was presented with a DVD copy of it either at the Renault round-up in Canberra; or shortly afterwards. I'm sure it was at the dinner on the Saturday night by bazzamac, but I could be wrong.

KB
    KB

Awesome! Up until now I knew nothing about this event, I was 9 at the time!
    I liked most the variety of cars, not like todays procession of Evos.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Wonderful old footage Al, thanks for sharing. Brings back memories of a fantastic era in Australian rallying.
    Just as an aside: Neal Bates and Coral Taylor are debuting their "new" 1980 Toyota Celica rally car in the classic section of the Rally Calder this weekend. Also running are a BDA and I suspect many vehicles which will test the memory bank.
    Neal and Coral did well in practice this week with Neal coming to grips with the 2WD car.
    Sorry for hijacking your thread Al. Thanks again for the footage.
    Regards
    Chopper Bob

Hi Al_R8,

I have watched the video on YouTube. I was surprised in the performance of the 1974 Don Capasco. It moves aggressively on offroad! It reminds me of the masculine look of Ford Mustang! Pretty amazing vintage car

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey2012 View Post
    Hi Al_R8,

I have watched the video on YouTube. I was surprised in the performance of the 1974 Don Capasco. It moves aggressively on offroad! It reminds me of the masculine look of Ford Mustang! Pretty amazing vintage car
    Don Capasco was the name of the rally.
    Don Capasco came from Don and Capasco both names of brake manufacturers.
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 7th July 2012 at 09:27 PM.

LOL; wait until our purveyor of spiced ham gets enough posts to view/play in the primordial soup...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Bob Watson was presented with a DVD copy of it either at the Renault round-up in Canberra; or shortly afterwards. I'm sure it was at the dinner on the Saturday night by bazzamac, but I could be wrong.

KB
    That's correct. DVD was supplied by Big Al with a great colour picture cover of the A110 in full flight thru the forest. Bob Watson was our guest speaker at the 2008 Renault Rendezvous dinner on Easter Saturday night and he said he had not seen the footage before. He was absolutely delighted to receive the DVD as it would bring back great memories. On the Sunday, Bob and Bruce Collier met up at the car display on Rond Terrace and of course had a great exchange of their experiences in their rallying days. It was a delight to be a bystander listening to their stories.

bazzamac

Thread Information