Renault Car Club of Western Australia
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault Car Club of Western Australia

OK, so there isn't actually such a thing as we all know, so I thought I'd start a thread to have a bit of a discussion about potentially starting one!

Questions are;

Is there enough interest?
    Who would join?
    Is it easy to establish a club (constitutions, public liability insurance, establishing committee positions etc etc)?

Anyway I think a WA based Renault club is LONG overdue!

Advertisement

One where members are just as happy to be a part of it whether owning an R16 or a Renaultsport Megane or even just an interest in the marque.

What do you think people....discuss

1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by zykyra View Post
    OK, so there isn't actually such a thing as we all know, so I thought I'd start a thread to have a bit of a discussion about potentially starting one!

Questions are;

Who would join?
    Is it easy to establish a club (constitutions, public liability insurance, establishing committee positions etc etc)?

One where members are just as happy to be a part of it whether owning an R16 or a Renaultsport Megane or even just an interest in the marque.

You're a glutton for punishment.

Do you have someone close to you lined up as secretary?

We've half a dozen Renaults owned by SIVA folk, one even new and faaaast. I guess our group might spawn a member or two, but it is the "modern" ones you'd be after of course.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I think it is more work than most people imagine and it is not clear to what benefit.

I know someone who is part of the hot rod scene and he tells me their association helps immensely with registering their cars (inspections, engineer's certificates, etc). That makes it really worthwhile having a club and people do join in.

The mindset of french car enthusiasts is completely different. We're after cheap motoring mainly in the form of what we're familiar with because we can keep it working and on the road and that is what makes it cheap for us. We are a niche, a marginal species, especially in Australia where our cars are known (at best) as "quirky" and at worst as "french shit" and only because we know these cars from previous lives or because we have contacts that can help the expenditure in upkeep.

I think this is one the strategy of a successful club that can work. If you're after gathering people with more money than common sense (i.e. people who shell out for a car with distinct lack of dealer support locally just because they're friends with the dealer and get an upgraded car on who knows what connection with the dealer whenever a new model comes around), then I think it'll be a very exclusive club.

And no, I am not trying to shoot your idea down, but I am familiar with other attempts at creating such clubs. I have a BMW which is so rare, it basically doesn't exist but no club is interested in it here. They're interested in the latest and the flashiest and hopefully getting a club rego so they have money for petrol for their gas-guzzling beasts. In effect these people are just trying to get a club going to dodge the govt somewhat, not interested in helping people like me keep a rare car on the road.

Come to think of it, exclusivity sounds rather un-australian (well, against the hype anyway).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault car club wa

SIVA could be a good base for a Renault Car Club. As an example, the Veteran Car Club WA caters for all makes but within it has sub sections, for example the Humber section, the Mustang section, Military section etc. which have their own meetings and organise their own events but are part of the bigger group which has the annual inspections, insurance, incorporation etc. already in place, this would solve many of the problems associated with forming a small club.

Panhard,
    I think Justin's attempts to bolster interest in a Renault Club is to get late model Renault owners interested. Social runs and get-togethers the thing. Possibly more involvement with the Dealers?
    Most of the early model Renaults are cared for as you say by the SIVA group.
    They cater for concessional licencing, inspections etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Panhard,
    I think Justin's attempts to bolster interest in a Renault Club is to get late model Renault owners interested. Social runs and get-togethers the thing. Possibly more involvement with the Dealers?
    Most of the early model Renaults are cared for as you say by the SIVA group.
    They cater for concessional licencing, inspections etc.
    That's my view exactly.

See you at the FCF?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hi all, thanks for the comments. I honestly believe that WA is ready for a dedicated Renault Car Club that caters for the needs of all enthusiasts from the early 1900's Renault through to modern Renaultsports and everything inbetween. I am seriously considering setting up a club like this and have looked at most of the logistics so far. The "bureaucracy" side doesn't bother me. I have been a member of the local Citroen club for some time and can get my head around most of the "officialdom" All I would want to know is; who would join? What would you expect from the club? How often would we meet?

I believe there are many Renault enthusiasts in this state and it would be great to bring them all together in a club.

Always up for a challenge!

Cheers,

Justin.
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

1000+ Posts

We give every person who buys a new Renault the opportunity for 12 months free membership. We send out very regular emails on our events and social activities. Since the advent of the modern Sporting Renaults we have increased our motoring events that do not require CAMS liscences etc. such as economy runs, non competitive navigation events with out times, and things called happy laps at Lakeside track that have no timing etc. They are very popular and we get a cooked breakfast and then 30 non competitive minutes on the track, . They are every 3 months if possible. They are on a day when there are normal events just before the days racing starts. There are no special requirements and cost $20 including breakfast. We also have at least one and some times two social events per month. Some are visits to silent movies, steam trains, high tea (for female members) or resteraunts. Visits to tourist attractions and so on. One popular event is a midnight to dawn run and we finish at a look out for a BBQ breakfast. As you are a member of the Citroen Club you will no doubt have similar activities. But the new members have almost all been buyers of the sporting Renaults and they like the sporting type activities. We find the older car owners tend to be restorers and like the tours and social activities. I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I say go for it.
    Agree. The RCCV will provide you support wherever practical.

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

Default Start a Renault Car Club WA!

Quote Originally Posted by zykyra View Post

Questions are;

Who would join?

I think it is a great idea to start a Renault car club in WA. CAMS will greatly assist you in what is required to start a car club from scratch. The RCCA in NSW (of which I am a member) has many member benefits, not the least of which is a gathering of like minded people regularly meeting! At the meetings you can gain information on all aspects of your favourite Renault from other members. Those wishing to have a CAMS license need to be a memeber of a CAMS affiliated car club, which could be the RCC of WA. In NSW the club offers a concessional plate scheme for cars older than 30 years. This gives very cheap rego with various use restrictions.
    One thing we have found, is it is difficult to get some of the newer Renault Sport owners to join up. The seem quite happy to chat on forums and arrange outings there. So good luck jagging the newer Renault owners.
    I hope you get some support, I have made many life long friends in the my Renault Club

Put me on the mailing list when it happens, Justin. (That doesn't mean elect me as secretary when I'm absent from the first AGM !!!!)

Andrewc's post above hints at it, but I believe the safe way to start a club is to affiliate with a state or national organisation (maybe its CAMS, or there may be other choices), which should cover the demon of public liability insurance and other similar legislated requirements. A few clubs I was involved in some years ago were all taking steps to incorporate themselves as companies, was this to avoid personal liabilities? I am sure you would already be up to speed in this area. Obviously there are costs of affiliation, but I guess they outweigh the possibility of personal litigation etc.

If it happens, I would be happy to throw in a bit of "technical workshop" experience, if that would be of benefit as a member activity, and there are probably a few others who would contribute in this area I would imagine.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Fordman; 16th August 2011 at 12:08 PM.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)
    2003 BA wagon LPG (For Sale)

Try AOMC and CAMS - both should be able to provide guidance to you

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

1000+ Posts

Not sure about your state but in Qld the AASA is a much cheaper option if you want motor club insurance. (I believe they are based in SA.) Also the major tracks in Qld are AASA tracks. Just Warwick and the Mt Cotton Hill climb seem to have stuck with CAMS. It is not necessary for car clubs to affiliate with either CAMS or AASA. Until recently we had our insurance with a normal insurance company but we changed to AASA because of a better policy and cheaper price. Also there are no club/member affiliation fees like CAMS. However if we wanted to compete at Mt Cotton then we have to join a CAMS affiliated club. However arrangements can be made with other CAMS affiliated clubs for limited membership. If your club does not wish to run competitive events then no affiliation is needed.

http://australianautosportalliance.com/aasa/

Default Wa

Hi Guys,
    I applaud anyone prepared to take on a challenge and here's my 2c worth

Mikee is right that CAMS has a club development officer and they should be more than happy to help out.
    I would also contact Renault Australia and ask for support (money and resource) to get the club off the gorund. It benefits them too.
    If you think your numbers are small why not approach an already established club and set up a sub agency. That helps with all the insurances, incorpoations etc. I'm sure there would be clubs in WA prepared to look at it but what about as a subset of the RCCV or RCCA?
    I might be opening a can of worms but it's one place I would look and as the membership rose then branch out on your own.

If you want to PM me I have the contacts into the organisations mentioned above. The big first step is to call a meeting to gauge everyones enthusiasm.

Good luck. I think it is a stirling idea :-)

..Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

I think you can do it if you are dedicated enough, after all , the first meeting of the Renault Car Club of Dandenong in 1968 was attended by eight people, and grew over about five years to 168 members. All it took was a lot of enthusiasm!
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I think you can do it if you are dedicated enough, after all , the first meeting of the Renault Car Club of Dandenong in 1968 was attended by eight people, and grew over about five years to 168 members. All it took was a lot of enthusiasm!
    So true. ALL it took!!!!!!!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Default Happy memories

Hi Zykra,
    I lived in WA from 1974-1977 and my happiest memories revolve around the WA Renault Car Club and the people I met there. They were the most welcoming, friendly and helpful bunch. The rallying in the local forests was great. We even painted 4 of our car in the same faux factory colour scheme to look the part when nominating for team aspects of events (these cars were Ron Daniels 16TS engined R12, Jeff Coleman 16TS engined R12, Tom Riley 17G and my R8G). The club thrived because of enthusiasm. I stayed a member for a while after shifting to Victoria, just to get the newsletter.

Suggestion: Have a category of membership for country members who live greater than xxxKm from Perth. WA is a big place. Even just a newsletter would keep these people involved. If you had such a category, I would happily join. Keep us informed.

Best wishes
    Keith
    Country Victoria

Tadpole

It would be great if the Renault Car Club of WA was reincarnated - my parents (Peter and Dot) were members for a long time - Mum did the newsletter for ages - I remember helping her with the Gestetner (I was young, not sure how long) - At it's height, I think we used to pack out rooms - I loved barracking for Ron Daniels and other RCC people - some are still involved in rallying today.

Leon

Justin,
    I am a member of VSCC for the simple reason of following a bit of classic racing (regularity) and being able to get my R10 on club plates through the club. I join you guys at F&F when you have an invite run, and they have been very enjoyable.

I am dedicated to keeping Rear Engine Renaults on the road and getting more running to be on the road. Not really interested in modern Renaults. I love Classic Renaults.

Where do I stand ???

Ray

Edit : I never saw the initial posting, hence being late to answer !!!
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Quote Originally Posted by LAP165 View Post
    It would be great if the Renault Car Club of WA was reincarnated - my parents (Peter and Dot) were members for a long time - Mum did the newsletter for ages - I remember helping her with the Gestetner (I was young, not sure how long) - At it's height, I think we used to pack out rooms - I loved barracking for Ron Daniels and other RCC people - some are still involved in rallying today.

Leon
    Hello Leon, and good to see you on this forum.

We moved to Perth in 1989, with our Renaults (4CV and R8) and we bought a 12 estate ere long and had a lovely 16TS for quite a few years. By then the RCC had gone, but Peter Olsen and others welcomed me to the Renault 4CV Register of Australia, which now accommodates all the rear-engined cars nationally and locally, to the extent that owners wish to join.

There is also the French and Fantastic Car Club, which accommodates all brands, perhaps tending towards the moderns but not totally.

Some of us have a loose network that covers some folk outside the clubs.

If there was a group to set up and run a new RCC, why not? There are Citroen and Peugeot clubs, although the single brand clubs struggle a bit in the modern climate and some predict their disappearance.

In the meantime, consider F&F and/or, if you are a rear-engined Renault man, consider the Register. Both are pretty friendly.

Send me a PM if you want a chat, and we might have some names in common.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information