Renault 25 speedo
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault 25 speedo

Hi all you R 25 experts out there! The electronic speedo on one of my '91 TXEs has stopped working. My guess is that it's the sender in the gearbox which is the problem, does any one know if it's readily accessible? As it's an old Renault we're talking about, my bet is that that's a silly question!! Has any one here had the same problem, and if so, how is it fixable? There appears to be a wire exiting the box, with no connectors evident, and which quickly disappears inside the cross member, never to be seen again, so presumably it's routed within the structure of the car to the back of the dash?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Dave.

Advertisement

Is routed into the cabon via a loom that enters the firewall near the wiper motor under the scuttle.

Never heard of a sensor failure, its more likely the speedo itself - a common failure. Ours are all KMs of course.

I have an unused NOS MPH speedo somewhere, but that's only mentioned in order to gloat - its been kept for posterity (ie when i one day get around to restoring my R25...).

Vivid has a UK spec R25 he might be wrecking? Assuming you cant scare one up there of course.

Hmm, interesting. The reason I suspected that the actual speedo is not the problem, is that the failure was gradual. For a few weeks, it stopped working altogether, then seemed ok for a month or so. Then, it would only work up to the 1st gear change, before failing completely! Plus, all 5 of the R 25s I've owned, have exhibited a strange, sudden flick of both the rev counter and speedo needles simultaneously, as if a rogue signal arrives from somewhere, whether the car is stationary or in motion. When it happens in the car with the dead speedo, the needle still ficks, so it obviously still receives impulses from somewhere.

Sounds like the standard dry solder issue - causes all sorts of funky electrical gremlins.

I had some odd behaviours that I cured by pulling out the instrument panel and giving to a geeky electronics friend. He took great delight in making all sorts of amusing comments about french electrical engineers whilst resoldering everything he could see. Totally cured it.

Yes, dry joints in the speedos of R25s are the major cause of failure of the speedo. Also the 3 pin connector on the lead about 30cms long that is attached to the instrument cluster can be another cause. The sender itself I have not heard of any trouble with. Unfortunately the Alpine GTA also has the same basic design speedo and the same inherant faults.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

1000+ Posts

I tryed several things to clean the connectors, alcohol, electronic cleaner in a pressure pack, pencil rubber, it was still never reliable. Just used the tacho instead to estimate speed. SWMBO hated not having a speedo and this was one of the reasons we sold the R25. This problem comes standard on all R25's.

FINALLY got this problem cured!! Turns out my suspicions were correct - it WAS the speed sensor in the gear box. Was VERY fortunate to find a TXE auto being broken, and got the sensor from it. Seems to be a relatively simple job to switch them over.

Good work mate Great to see someone keeping the old girls running, especially in Europe!!

Thank you. They're getting pretty scarce here in the UK - less than 200 on the road now I believe - but still plentiful on mainland Europe.

Thread Information